Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Reading Fuel Pressuge Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reading Fuel Pressuge Gauge

I recently installed a set of Autometer Z series gauges: FP, Boost, Pyro and noticed that over the past month the FP gauge responds differently than from once installed. Regardless whether the truck is idling, underload or WOT the needle will bounce between 1-3 lbs.

Idle - 13.5-14.0
Load - 9-11
WOT - 5-7

I was wondering if this is normal for the needle to act in this manner? I initially thought that I might have a bad connections with either power supply or ground but, they have been checked and cleaned. I have corresponded with Autometer on three occassions over the past three weeks and am not pleased with customer service and their attempt at resolution. I even went as far as having the local parts store get another gauge and replace to see if it was the unit. Needless to say, the gauge acts in the same manner as the first gauge. I did have to replace the VP pump back in November but the LP pump was determined to fall within specs.

I have also experience condensation behind the gauge face during a brief commute to work and would eventually clear up within a few miles. Should I be concerned with the LP failing because I would not like another VP to take a dump. I do have the Glacier 392 that is going to be installed and I am sure it will help with flow.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,
RottnRam
Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you're seeing is VP pulses to the gauge. Put a shut off on the line and just barely crack it open and that will dampen the pulses and make it smooooooth.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're fp looks fine to me. WOT is a little low, but at least its not getting completely drained.

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
What you're seeing is VP pulses to the gauge. Put a shut off on the line and just barely crack it open and that will dampen the pulses and make it smooooooth.
Especially if you have a piston pump lift pump I used a ball valve and many people have used a needle valve.