Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

I had a RDS Aux Fuel tank installed 2 months ago. The installation was to include direct flow to the engine through an electric selector switch, and an auxiliary sending unit (to the in-dash fuel guage) activated by the same switch. When they went to hook up the sending unit, they found the current (voltage, amperage??) did not match up with the Dodge guage. They have been trying to find one that will work, but have been unable to so far. They tell me this problem is unique to the 03 Dodge trucks. Meanwhile, when I switch to the aux tank, my guage shows empty. This is a reputable installer who has been installing aux tanks and guages for over 50 years. <br>Does anybody out there know anything about this? Help!!
Old 04-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

Bobby,<br>This is going to be the post for &quot;Bobby&quot;. <br><br>Give Bobby a call at RDS - - 850-584-6898<br><br>Very knowledgable, good service. They are near you in Perry, Fl. He should know all about any possible problem. I am hooked up at present for gravity feed. I was going to switch over to your system, but I am more comfortable with this system now and will probably stay with it. Cheaper and easier to install, that's for sure. <br><br>FiverBobby
Old 04-14-2003, 03:56 PM

Fiver Bob:<br>Thanks for the lead. I contacted Bobby at RDS, and he said my installer is correct. Nobody has yet build a sending unit that matches the Dodge guage. My options are to install a second guage under the dash or wait and see if somebody comes out with a sending unit that will work.<br>By the way, do you know whether your installation is legal? I asked my installer about using a pump to transfer fuel to my main tank, and he said he couldn't do that because it was illegal. Maybe he just didn't want to do it.<br>BobbyG
Old 04-14-2003, 04:34 PM

Bobby,<br>Several popular tanks include refilling the main tank. I think that is how Aux does it. Mine is the gravity method which is re-filling the main tank. Legal: the gravity method is OK in Florida and many other states. Some states have some rules against it, but I don't think traveling in those states would create a problem. <br><br>My biggest concern with pulling the fuel directly from two tanks is the possibility of running the auxillary tank out of fuel. I had no problem when this occurred on my gas motorhome - - spit a couple times, switch over (as long as your were not sitting at a stop sign when it happened) and it would catch and go on. It was not fun a couple times on the diesel rig. I learned to take it down to about 5 gallons (comfort level) then switch over. That is the only problem I see with your installation. Watch your mileage and you will learn when to switch over. <br><br>Bob
Old 04-14-2003, 05:23 PM

I installed a RDS fuel/tool combo tank in my truck.<br> I don't know how picky Dodge is when it comes to warranty issues but I got to thinking that if I had a fuel system problem in the future that Dodge might claim that hooking another tank to the fuel system and using the truck fuel system to draw it out, might void the warranty. I could be wrong about that but I thought about it anyway.<br> Bobby, <br> I know that Transfer Flow has a system that transfers fuel from the aux tank to the main tank with a fuel pump. They say that it is legal in all 50 states. Maybe something is different about the system you described but it sounds like the same thing. <br> Another thing if you put a standard fuel pump on it you might end up with a gravity feed system anyway, unless you have some sort of valve on it to stop the flow of fuel once you turn off the fuel pump.<br> Randy
Old 04-14-2003, 06:58 PM

Randy,<br>It is my understanding the Transfer Flow system will not siphon. Probably a check valve in the pump. I really have no complaints with my gravity system. If I get low on the main tank, I pull the valve at my next stop and keep on going. When the gauge says I am nearing full, I shut it off the next time I stop. No big deal even if I don't. It is cheap, easier to install and sure works for me. Not as fancy as the TF system, but sure a whale of a bunch cheaper. And, it looks the same sitting in the bed and holds the same stuff, fuel. <br><br>SatisfiedBob
Old 04-14-2003, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a gravity system that fills the main tank through a filter and a fitting on the main tank fuel filler tube. I fill the main tank first then the auxillery tank when the fuel gauge moves off full I know that the Aux tank is empty. the only time I shut off the valve is to remove the filter can between the two tanks. Gravity works for me.<br>Jim O
Old 04-14-2003, 08:56 PM

Jim,
I have forgotten to shut mine off and it made no difference. I understood it was a no no to have gravity feed in Canada. I made some specific inquiries in BC. They said it was illegal for a resident to do it, but as long as it was a good installation and I am only vacationing, they will look the other way.

One thing I am having a problem with is finding a locking fuel cap for my tank. Have you looked for one? If so, where?

Bob
Old 04-14-2003, 09:00 PM

Fiverbob,<br> I am not trying to say one system is better than any other. I was responding to Bobby G's question about fuel pumps.<br> I have the gravity flow system you speak of. It is inexpensive and simple. I wound up with a great looking 60 gal fuel/toolbox all hooked up for less than $500. No complaints here. <br> To add icing to the cake I went to fill it up the first time a few days ago and the Flying J in Dallas had diesel for $1.259. ;D<br> Randy
Old 04-14-2003, 09:07 PM

Randy,<br>I didn't read you that you were saying one is better than the other - - hope I didn't come across that way. You are exactly right on the gravity - - after installing mine, someone got me scared with this &quot;it is ILLEGAL&quot; stuff. Then, I wished I had gone the other way. I'm all settled back and comfy again and very happy also.<br><br>Fuel is 1.79 here. Lousy and does not make sense. Man, lets fill some tankers up in IRAQ and ship them over here and tell the Saudi's to keep their oil. 8) 8) Better yet, let's figure out how to run these things on water. <br><br>BrokeBob
Old 04-15-2003, 09:26 AM

Thanks, guys, for the input. Bob, you are right about the gas prices in Fla. Luckily I'm only about 20 miles from the Ga border where it is about 30 cents cheaper. <br>I guess I'll just keep on using my dipstick until I figure out what to do about a guage. Right now I have 1,700 miles on this tank and still have about 15 or 20 gallons left before I have to switch to the main. Then I'll float a loan and fill it back up.<br>BobbyG
Old 04-15-2003, 01:48 PM

I called several state government agencies trying to figure out exactly what was legal here in Texas. I kept getting fowarded to another number, several times. I don't know exactly who enforces this sort of thing here in Texas but they are in short supply from what I can tell.<br> I had a locking gas cap I kept off of my Ford. I put it on the RDS tank and it seems to work fine. I forgot the name brand but I bought it a while back at Walmart I think. It looks like the one that came on the tank but it has a lock.<br> I don't know why Flying J had diesel so cheap. Everywhere else around is $1.41.9 and up. <br>BobbyG,<br> I just noticed the size of your fuel tank, you don't need a fuel gauge just remember to check the fuel tank level everytime you change the oil. Just kidding .<br> Randy
Old 04-15-2003, 03:03 PM

Fiver Bob:<br>I bought locking caps with my tank. Paid about $20 for two (I have two filler openings). If you are interested, call Bodie Catlin at Catlin Truck Accessories in Jacksonville (904) 354-1873.<br>Randy:<br>You are right, I almost can get along without a guage. I wanted a really big tank, because we plan to do a lot of traveling in some fairly remote areas in Canada. I figure it will probably pay for itself because I can really load up when I find fuel at a good price. In Florida prices are terrible, but I can drive 20 miles to Georgia and save about $50 on a 150 gallon fillup.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:58 AM

BobbyG,<br> I agree with you about buying fuel when you are on the road traveling. It never seemed to fail I would have to stop and buy fuel pay the going rate, then travel a ways see lower prices and wish I could have waited to buy fuel. <br> Or in the case you describe traveling in remote areas just hoping you don't run out before you can even buy fuel. I know my wife has given me the &quot;look&quot; before while driving in a remote area we don't know while traveling running low on fuel. Thanks to RDS that is history.<br> Randy<br>