Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which Rancho Shock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which Rancho Shock?

I'm fixing to replace my shocks, but I'm more confused as ever. I've read people's opinions, and that's probably the reason I'm confused, but I'll ask anyway.

I'm debating to go with either the Rancho RSX or the 9000. Has any one had both?

I like that you can adjust the 9000s, but since I drive empty 75% of the time, I'd had to get adjustable shocks that I'll probably end up leaving on one setting.

Has anyone had the RSXs? Do they adjust themselves pretty well?

I don't really care for brand bashing, I'm going with Rancho, just want to know which shock.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's your money..... The Bilstein is a much better shock for the same or less money. I've had Rancho's on my last two trucks and I'll never buy them again.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:36 AM

I went with the 9000's...did not like the in cab controller set up, and did not want it in the cab. Also did not like the expense or the idea of "one more thing to go wrong".

It's not a problem for me to go under the truck to adjust them...and I do it often - at least once a week. I usually leave the fronts on 8 or 9...and just change the backs based on my load. Been very satisfied.

RJ
Old 07-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Cowhand
It's your money..... The Bilstein is a much better shock for the same or less money. I've had Rancho's on my last two trucks and I'll never buy them again.
Ditto!!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Cowhand
I agree 100%. I just put the Billstein 5100's on my truck over the weekend. Awsome ride. Its amazing what a difference they make over the stockers. The rear shocks where 69.00 each and front were 79.00 each as they were 2" taller due to the leveling kit I installed. worth the money!

I used to have Rancho 9000's on my cheby gasser--never again-no more Chebys, no more Ranchos
Old 07-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Re: Which Rancho Shock?

Originally posted by I PASS GAS
....I don't really care for brand bashing, I'm going with Rancho, just want to know which shock.
So much for honoring that request!

RJ
Old 07-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have owned many sets of Rancho 9000's over the years and have not had problems with them......the only problem I have ever had was some bad seals around the adjuster ***** that let moisture in.........I much prefer the 9000 over the RSX......FWIW, the 9000 in-cab controller set-up is junk - they are not durable and leak air. I'm with RJ, I have no problem leaning over to spin a **** to have the exact amount of dampening I desire.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:41 AM

The correct Rancho shock for me was none at all.

Bilstein 5100s cost the same or less and work twice as well.

Sorry if you aren't getting the advice you want, but people around here tend to tell the truth and make their honest recommendations, whether it's what you want to hear or not.

It's almost like asking a large group "Which shade of blue" when most of the people might like another color.

If you want to overpay for an inferior shock, no one here will stop you. But the purpose of this board is partly to save people from having to learn the same lessons others have at their own expense.

Far better to learn from someone ELSE's experience, imo. Certainly cheaper.

That's just *my* opinion-- ignore at your leisure.

Jstn
Old 07-19-2005, 02:25 PM

Whichever one you want I guess. I don't have either of those, nor anything else mentioned in passing on this thread. I got Brand X, but you didn't ask about that one.

Cheers,
Steve J
Old 07-20-2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by HOHN
...people around here tend to ...make their honest recommendations, whether it's what you want to hear or not.
Justin - You sound like my Powerstroke driving neighbor who kept telling my how wrong I was when I was looking at Dodges. (A brand he had never owned). It was his honest recommendation that Fords are better....even though I never asked.

Seems to me...a brand specific request is...just that!

RJ
Old 07-20-2005, 09:30 AM

He didn't ask about Bilstens did he? oh wait, I actually paid attention Go with the 9000X and you will be very happy, never any problems with several sets on dads/brothers/customers trucks, and you can find a nice setup for comfort or control as you wish, and then adjust up for heavy load/camper, etc.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the 9000s and they should be here by the end of the week. Once I heard the RSXs were relabled Monroe's, I changed my mind. I woulnd't mind the Bilsteins, but I like the idea of being able to adjust a shock. I'll give them a try and I ordered them from Sams Offroad and they specifically say if you don't like them, send them back, no questions asked. Can't go wrong with that...

Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by rjohnson
Justin - You sound like my Powerstroke driving neighbor who kept telling my how wrong I was when I was looking at Dodges. (A brand he had never owned). He too, honestly feels Fords are better....even though I never asked.

Seems to me...a brand specific request is...just that!

RJ
Point taken.

It's maybe like trying tell a die-hard Ford guy why he shouldn't buy a Ford. I've never yet found a guy that would change his mind just on my say so.

Maybe I'll learn someday-- maybe....
Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 PM

I like the "ask the audience" on the millionaire show!! Seems that is the way it is around here with the same results as the show,, Great advice and you always have the option not to take it!!!!!! . Goodluck,,Rick
Old 07-21-2005, 08:39 PM

Ok so for a dumb question, are the Blistiens/rancho's avail for a 2wd? looking for shocks but just about everyone is a 4wd that is talking about shocks

Quick Reply: Which Rancho Shock?