Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

raced a new GTO

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inline6power
you guys are not going to believe this but like i have said before, i had sold my full billet DTT to my buddy and i did that last night with a stock tranny and stock TC]
he said he did it on a stock tranny...

show me a stock tranny that holds 500+hp on the highway just rolling into the throttle, let alone a stock tranny thats gonna take a 35psi launch at that power AND stay together long enough to come close to beating a low 12 sec car
Old 03-19-2007, 01:00 AM

Im gonna go with GB5.9 on this one. Ive had two 12v autos that both had completely stock transmissions. I can tell you that after a gsk and a 0 plate full forward the torque converter was begging for mercy. That would have put me right around 300rwhp if i was lucky. I cant even imagine 500hp with a completely stock trans.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
he said he did it on a stock tranny...

show me a stock tranny that holds 500+hp on the highway just rolling into the throttle, let alone a stock tranny thats gonna take a 35psi launch at that power AND stay together long enough to come close to beating a low 12 sec car
you are going to eat your words then pall. i will try to take a video of my truck tomorrow. stock tranny and stock TC and i will do a boosted launch and show you. if i were in your situation i would be saying the same thing so i am not mad but the proof is in the pudding so after i try to take a video and show you tomorrow , well see. and a little correction i wasnt really paying attention to my guage when i raced, i went and looked at it tonight and i actually did a 17psi launch. i no that changes everything i must have been a little but like i said i will take a video of my truck with a stock tranny and tc doing a 17 to 20 psi launch and holding just fine. had the converter locked when i raced to if that makes a diff to you guys. i have done this a few times on this tranny and tc and its actually held pretty good. as far as the race, yes he did spin his tires through 1 and 2 and chirped them in 3, but by the time he actually got traction, i was gone. its a whole nother story when you race someone on the STREET with STREET tires and you launch in 4x4. dont think i am mad at the comments one bit, i am just trying to prove my point.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 AM

I believe you on the kill.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GB5.9 has my sympathies as I tend to be skeptical about these kinds of stories.

Then again, I have a hard time just getting past the "what's the point" factor. Seriously, why can't you guys take it to the track and go for it?

As for stock tranny holding 35 psi, all I can say is 1) anything is possible, and 2) these trucks vary a lot.

jmo
Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 AM

If all the guy with the gto can run with a supercharger is a 12.4 he has other issues to begin with. All of the stock 05 Gtos around here are running 12.7 and 12.8s with just drag radials. 12.4s are being done with air intakes, exhaust and tuning along with drag radials. 489hp in a GTO is easily a 11 flat to high 10 second car with traction. And well over 120mph on the trap speed at that. Both the GTO's and Vettes with the LS2 are 12 second cars with traction right off the showroom floor. On the street a 13 flat 4X4 truck probably could walk one pretty bad through the 1/8 anyway.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

I'll believe the story. My stock tranny held 450hp and 10 psi launches with locked shifts for a little while. And that's after a year of taking 20psi power brakes from a dumb youthful left foot.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

big difference between stock tranny and stock internals with an upgraded valve body and TC
Old 03-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned

The year of power brakes was with nothing in there. Stock fluid. So the tranny was already worn out. The valvebody just prolonged the inevitable. And trust me, boosted launches with even a valvebody weren't good on it either. And I had a stock converter. I'm calling his story confirmed. These auto tranny's are tougher than people make them out to be.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcoleman
489hp in a GTO is easily a 11 flat to high 10 second car with traction. And well over 120mph on the trap speed at that. Both the GTO's and Vettes with the LS2 are 12 second cars with traction right off the showroom floor. On the street a 13 flat 4X4 truck probably could walk one pretty bad through the 1/8 anyway.
you said it. traction. and we raced a full 1/4 mile not an 1/8. its so hard playing catch up in a race. i wish i had a video of his car and motor and the race so you guys would believe me on this. traction on the street is everything. i dont care if he only spun through 1 gear. by the time he gets traction, i am darn near already at the 1/8. i just talked to him and he said with drag radials he was running a 11.2 at 124mph. you guys dont understand its a whole different show on the street 1/4 mile or not. as far as my tranny goes. like i said, i will try to take a video today of my stock tranny and tc doing a boosted launch with MINIMAL if not no slipping from the TC. then you guys might say ok well his truck is not making the power that he claims, well if thats the case, i will race any one any time and i will have my truck on the dyno next week at the showdown pulls and drags.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 AM

Naw it's cool man, we believe you. If you do that a few more times, you might grenade your tranny. A video would be cool though.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
inline6power lives just around the bend from me. i have heard a little bit about how fast his truck is. now with a stock converter that would be pretty increadable. it would be cool to meet up. i live in petaluma,ca.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i beleive you my tranny held like bigblues did and i also like to hear a 3/4 ton truck burned a sports car with a blower. pm me .
Old 03-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Naw it's cool man, we believe you. If you do that a few more times, you might grenade your tranny. A video would be cool though.
100% agree. i went through 4 stockers before i went to the DTT. no a guy that works at the dealer ship and was able to get those 4 under warrenty. the one now is a complete stocker with a stock TC out of a 03 truck. i no how to grenade a tranny as i have dont it 4 times before lol.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

47re or a 48re?

Quick Reply: raced a new GTO