Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Race a duramax pulling a boat?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Race a duramax pulling a boat?????

This one has me worried. My boss has a 2002 duramax and a bottomless wallet. He his truck was all stock and we raced. I kinda sorta blew him completely away. We had a bet, and now he owes me some equipment that I can sell for about $5000. Now he has dumped $$$$$ into engine and drivetrain mods which are said to get him to about 800 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels. Propane, an ecm reflash or something, a turbo, injectors..... like I said, he has the endless wallet.

Now the bet is double or nothing. He wants to time a run from a dead stop, on a steep hill, to some point about 1/4 mile up the road while pulling his 5000 pound boat. Then I am supposed to put the same boat behind my truck and time how long the run takes me. Whoever has the shortest time wins. If I win, I get almost 10 grand worth of stuff (really). If I loose, I get what I think will be a broken truck.

My tranny does not like the current amount of power going through it. Mods are as follows:

Dtt vb and tc
Custom pump
370 injectors
ks b1 turbo
4" exhaust
bhaf

My rear end is a 3.54 with 245/75 tires. His truck has a 4.56 rear end with 33" tires. I am worried about breaking the tranny or transfer case or melting the engine. The allison has a much lower first gear and he will have the rear end gearing advantage. My egt is in the red in about 2 seconds empty at full throttle and my tranny is slipping when on the freeway in lockup.

What would you do? I am thinking probably not..... ???
Old 11-28-2002, 01:36 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Race a duramax pulling a boat?????

I say quit talking and GO FOR IT!
Old 11-28-2002, 02:15 PM

I had some fun with a local guys that had his truck set up almost the same except for tires and gears. ATS(Advanced Turbo System) reflash, Edge pulse, 4&quot; exhaust(ATS), a bigger exhaust housing (ATS), and Propane. He is an older guy and while we where filling in Morgan he told me he had never been beat. : He claimed he had dyno'd 445 HP on the Edges dyno(the highest I have dyno'd on the Edges Dyno was 409) <br>Two days later I was heading to work down Weber canyon and there he is behind me. We turn on to I-89 and right under the freeway, we are together at a light. 8) We both look around and there no Cops (6AM) and so we are on. We both leave with tire smoke(my poor BFG MTs) he instently get out 1 1/2 car lengths, I hit third and get it almost all back, speed shift to 4th at 4000 RPMs and get alittle sideway toward him In 4th the race was over for him I walked right away from him. At 110 MPH I lift and he pulled along side and motioned me over on I-193. I did and we talked again. He was blown away that I wasn't using Propane and had the kind of power to spin the tires going to 4th and on how much smoke I produced. I could believe how little smoke he produced, other than tire smoke.<br>These Duramax's with the reflash from ATS are really pretty fast. The reflash add some power but keep the trans from going to limp mode.<br>The other thing about the Duramax's are they are alot lighter than our turck, 1500-2000 pounds lighter. To make if fair I would weight both rigs and then make the weight at least closer. and the other thing 5000 pound trailer isn't enough, you outa find something heavier and race for a longer distance.<br><br>Good luck....
Old 11-28-2002, 02:24 PM

Tranny is going anyways!! Stomp him! I'm sure I speak for many of us, but my truck hauls butt way better and harder when there is a load behind it.<br>There is a similar hill here where I live, but it is about a mile and a half long and I have out run many a stroke or max up that hill when they were empty and I had a 4000 trailer on board.<br><br>I've noticed with the few modified max's here in town, they will race you but only to a certain point, then they back out of it. Not sure if they just give up or have engine parameters go to far into the red, who knows. I was beaten by a max just a week or so ago, I noticed it sitting in the dealer service area two days later. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not.<br><br>I'd just go for it, let him spend more money! ;D
Old 11-28-2002, 03:36 PM

Are you saying your DTT trans can't handle the power??? My ATS can ;D<br><br>disclaimer - not trying to start a war here ....
Old 11-28-2002, 03:53 PM

Yup, It's slipping pretty bad. The only time it is really noticable is on the freeway in lockup though. <br><br>I am thinking of putting it in 4x4 for the start. I am just worried about breaking the input shaft, the output shaft, or something else. I really don't want that to happen. <br><br>The duramin is a crew cab short bed. Mine is a reg cab longbed. I'm pretty sure his is heavier.
Old 11-28-2002, 04:09 PM

If you are slipping in OD .... don't mess around! ..... Drop your pan and see what's in there first .... I would bet your trans is toast! Been there done that more times with more people than you want to know ....
Old 11-28-2002, 04:23 PM

I did. Everything looked ok. I don't slip it for more than a couple of seconds at a time. :
Old 11-28-2002, 04:49 PM

Sounds like with your mods your going to need a full tranny upgrade.<br>Triplelok it!<br><br>I would take him up on the offer for the race.<br>You guys are some real high rollers!!!<br><br>--Justin
Old 11-28-2002, 05:04 PM

slipping the lockup clutch, or the bands?
Old 11-28-2002, 05:14 PM

No idea. No bands are applied when in overdrive though.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:27 PM

Chances are that EGTs will limit the speed of your race so your tranny may not slip (if you are not running the pyro in the red)????? ???<br><br>If EGTs are in fact the limiting factor, talk to Scotty. He found a good drop in EGTs when he replaced his BHAF with a Scotty II. I think Dee noticed the same thing on his truck. These guys are both running big power with similar mods to you. Dee has a PDR 40 and Scotty has a kirt ks.<br><br>Marc<br>
Old 11-28-2002, 07:24 PM

I limit my egt with a stop watch: 15 seconds from pegged. The gauge is useless in that situation because it only goes to 1500 degrees. It is pegged within a couple of seconds with this much fuel. It just goes right up with the tach.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:40 PM
HC

I guess I'm getting old, but this sounds like a lose-lose for you. If you lose the race, it will probably be because you fried what is left of your tranny. So instead of having someone who owes you 5000, you'll be at &quot;zero&quot; and in need of major tranny work.<br><br>On the other hand, let's say you win the race. Now you've just shamed your boss, he owes you 10000, and you've maybe won the battle and lost the war (or maybe even your job if the deal goes sour).<br><br>I say lay low for now. Get your $5k, secretly smile to yourself while your boss struts around and thumps his chest, fix your tranny, and then when you get ready to quit anyway, tell him you've reconsidered and challenge him to a rematch with a bigger load. Get a load that is big enough, and there will be no need to request he &quot;spot&quot; you anything for your heavier truck.<br><br>
Old 11-28-2002, 08:08 PM

Hope I don't get kicked out of town for this opinion.<br><br>Take the 5k and leave with your truck intact. The advantage is always with the house. I live in a city that exists on the premise that you will take the bet.

Quick Reply: Race a duramax pulling a boat?????