Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Race Box Beta Testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qzilla
I like the posi taps but, hear me out.

While there are lots of you guys that are capable of finding the correct wire and installing the posi tap correctly, there are 10,000 people that will not be able to.

In the past when trying to specify a "wire" to tap under the dash it was a NIGHTMARE!! I would rather mess with the crummy fuse taps.
Yep understand that completely.... I just cant stand them so I dont use them... For the average joe installer I don't know of a better option
Old 11-05-2007, 09:59 PM

Instead of the type that wraps around and often doens't fit well:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1972_22679987

you could try:
http://www.autotoys.com/pics/fusetapsmall2.jpg

Or something I've never seen before but pretty cool:
http://www.anythinggps.com/ProductIm...e.Tap.Mini.jpg

These look pretty dummy proof!! I like a good solid butt connection as well!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Chapter President

I used the fuse tap just because I wanted to wait and see how things work out. I agree with the K.I.S.S. approach. When I get a chance in the near future I am going to fix all the connections better.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by J Lent
Got my call, I am joining the ranks soon.
I just got one too hopefully its shipped out soon! Also I hope the high idle will available soon its getting cold here.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:01 AM

I like the posi taps but, hear me out.

While there are lots of you guys that are capable of finding the correct wire and installing the posi tap correctly, there are 10,000 people that will not be able to.

In the past when trying to specify a "wire" to tap under the dash it was a NIGHTMARE!! I would rather mess with the crummy fuse taps.
I think the fuse taps will be fine, I just think these are a little too large. It is pain to get them in. I also like how they are made into the harness, but that also may be a detriment of getting them in easily. Seems like if they can be made slightly smaller onto the harness, it should be a really secure connection.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the posi taps but.... While there are lots of you guys that are capable of finding the correct wire and installing the posi tap correctly, there are 10,000 people that will not .....
I prefer Posi-Taps also.
The problem with most directions is...they are written by people that already know the parts/system well. Try the "12 yr old " test, or the housewife test. Write directions (Posi-Tap's pics are good) and have an 'outsider' try to follow them!
I can't believe buyers won't be able to use a Posi-Tap... if instructions are written with the least knowlegable in mind.

Directions for finding the right wire is a 'whole nother country'

RJ
Old 11-06-2007, 09:14 AM

This one is a great idea...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 AM

btw i have to give quadzilaa some credit were credit is due. i ended up getting a bad box and told them i was leaving at the end of this week for my 2 months away (and my dyno run ) and these guys didnt screw around and are sending my new box the quickest humanly way possibly. i do appreciate it cause that can't be cheap.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
This one is a great idea...
Ya glad somebody thought so I thought that dang thing was cool!!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by bnold
Ya glad somebody thought so I thought that dang thing was cool!!
Yeah but at $7.25 each, I will find a wire to solder into!

Chris
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Well I like that thing too but, there are some issues.

First and foremost is price!!!!!

Second is the fact that on production wire harnesses we do not "butt splice" anything as the integrity of the connection is not up to ISO specs.

Third, is that if I sent it out as it is and let the customer connect it......well you can see where that might be ugly.

I am looking at a couple of different fuse taps. We will see what happens. I can solve 50% of the issue by connecting 1 power wire directly to the battery.

Also, another thing I find interesting is that as I look around at other products I see wire taps and fuse taps in the instructions and no one gripes about them? Why is is just when I use them?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:50 PM

I'll pay $7.25 no problem, get rid of the crimp connector, solder it and use some heat shrink. Good idea Qzilla to connect the other one directly to the battery as long as one is fused somehow to prevent any possible damage?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 PM

Also, another thing I find interesting is that as I look around at other products I see wire taps and fuse taps in the instructions and no one gripes about them? Why is is just when I use them?
lol because you listen.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM

I am looking at a couple of different fuse taps. We will see what happens. I can solve 50% of the issue by connecting 1 power wire directly to the battery.

I have mine connected directly to the battery now (through a fuse). The wire tap on the VP44 has been a problem with every box. Please don't feel you are being picked on. All the other manufactures that supply wire tap boxes have already been beat up on, it's just your turn. With the cost, experience level of the installers, and everything else, it's tough not supplying wire and fuse taps. I feel it's my choice to solder or use some other method, but that is because I know how to solder. Most of the people installing boxes will feel alot better about wire tap and fuse taps, and they will probably cause a lot less problems for themselves using them.

Keep up the good work...
Paul
Old 11-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Well I like that thing too but, there are some issues.

I can solve 50% of the issue by connecting 1 power wire directly to the battery.
Why is is just when I use them?
Totally agree with Paul.
Power wire to the battery.... only way to go, IMO.
And....TST owners have been throwing away the supplied scotchlock fasteners for as long as I can remember.
TST has gone to Posi-Taps in the last yr+/_.

For VP-44.... I use a 'Grabber'. Operates similar to a Posi-tap and works perfectly.

RJ

Quick Reply: Race Box Beta Testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!