Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

R.A.S.P Any one.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.A.S.P Any one.

Has any one ran one of these or herd of someone running one. It looks sweet?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:22 AM

Buy a fass. It is simple and reliable. Have you seen the hose routing for the rasp? I think it a little overcomplicated. With a Fass all the plumping is done in the rear which keep the engine compartment clean and safe. .02
Old 09-20-2005, 07:51 AM

Well the complicated plumbing is due to the fact that if the belt breaks, the pressure switch will start the stock LP running to keep you going. I was looking at that at one time but I heard its a bit pricey
Old 09-20-2005, 08:03 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I have been running a RASP for about 20k now. IMHO it is the best pump out there(maybe a bit biased since I run one). There is just nothing to go wrong with it. There is only one thing that can go wrong. The belt could break. Even if the belt breaks the stock lift pump kicks in automatically so you are still good to go. And if you carry a spare belt you can replace it in literally 5 minutes or less with a single wrench. There is no electric motor for it. You dont hear of anybody having to hit the pump with a hammer occassionally (ok that may be a cheap shot but I have read more than once where someone has done that). There are two straight cut gears inside it and that is it.
Fuel pressure goes up as RPMs increase.

The plumbing though it looks a bit daunting is really no problem and not complicated. You plumb in a new/additional return line, and you replace the plumbing between the stock fuel filter and vp44 (though that is not required). You replace the fuel feed from the end of the hardline to the RASP with a tee in it for feeding the rasp and the other side for feeding the stocker. There is a Hobbs pressure switch in there and that is about it. Now you have redundant fuel pumps. You also have replaced all the restrictive banjos with AN type fittings. I will admit I bought one of Olee Poole's plumbing kits which made it very easy.

I have nothing against FASS or AIRDOGS and am sure they are fine pumps. I just happen to choose the RASP instead due to its mechanical nature. And am sure there are some valid opinions/arguments to use a FASS over a RASP.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:21 AM

I've been looking at Fass vs Rasp. The thing I didn't like about Fass was the sytem replacing the stock fuel filter which has the fuel heater. Granted people run Fass is some cold climates, but the stock filtration isn't the issue the electrical LP is. I figure that if I go Rasp, then I'd never need to worry about replacing lp's.

How long did the Rasp install take you Barry? Beers or hours. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Phat it took me quite a while due to the fact that we had several sets of company come in from out town during my install. HAd to stop and help them in and be nice and talk for a bit with them. Then as soon as I started back up another set would show up. Then had to stop and eat dinner with all of them. It took me about 8 hours including the interuptions. I think I actually spent between 4 and 5 hours on the actual install. After having done one I am sure I could do it now in 2 to 3 hours. Bear in mind that I used one of Olee's plumbing kits and am sure that saved some time.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:43 AM

Phatboy mentioned losing the stock fuel heater... Of course I'm no guru on this stuff but http://www.dieselpp.com/ indicates there is a fuel heater included with the FASS.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just run it through the stock, filter thats what i did and i see no problem.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:39 AM

The fass has a heater ability meaning that you can run you engine coolant through it. The guys up here in Indy and Muncie dont have any type of fuel heater working with their fass and they say they have never had a problem. I did a ton of research and found the fass most user friendly and with the best warranty. I dont know everything about the rasp though but I have seen install pics. It looks like it might catch a lot of road debris (salt sand). Its is more mechanical which I like but I know nothing about the longevity of the little gear pump, I cant find anything on it which led me to the FASS which a lot of people have and say it is great...which it is
Old 09-21-2005, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either FASS or RASP. Both appear excellent. Biggest testimonial for the RASP, IMO, is that DTT sells them! Bill K. is a quality fanatic and would not carry them if he was not convinced they were excellent.

I know of no one using the FASS heater. The pump on the FASS runs quite warm...hot to the touch in the summer time, and appears to be all that is needed. Anyone up north have problems last winter?

RJ
Old 09-21-2005, 10:58 AM

Ok so I did the intank LP concersion and its basically enough to keep the FP needle off of 0psi. Now to those with a RASP, could I use the aux fuel pickup for the RASP, and keep the other pickup for the intank LP. I'm thinking I an going to goto a rasp as my next pump. also what did it run, PM me if you dont want to post the $ Thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Banned

If I'm correct it's like $600 or so. Very expensive which is why I'm not running one. I have a feeling that once I do the mach 6's and get this truck built how I want it (assuming rita doesn't blow it away ) I'm gonna have to upgrade the holley.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:12 PM

If DTT recomends it then its probably a good unit I just want to voice my opinion on the FASS which I have. It is a good unit too. The install on the rasp my be a little more in depth but nobody is complaining about them. I dont know but I am confident that either one will surpass the carter by 4 fold. Patrone
Old 09-21-2005, 10:13 PM

Tequila
Old 09-22-2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by AAmeeting
Tequila
Just keeping the conversation going AA? I just love the irony there

Hello my name is Phatboy and I'm a dieselholic....