Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

A.R.E. cap with busted glass!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry A.R.E. cap with busted glass!

Need some help here...
I have a 1998 manufactured cap to fit my 1997 Dodge Ram long box extended cab. It is a CX series with the back side tip out glass.
Well....the back section of the drivers side glass shattered. I contacted A.R.E. and they have said that the glass that is in my particular cap is no longer available........Nice.....

So now I am forced to send my cap back to A.R.E. so they can retro fit the "new" styled glass into my cap. That little piece of glass that should have cost me under a hundred bucks to replace is now going to cost me $550 Can. plus taxes to do both sides. Hardly worth it.....
When I called A.R.E., I mentioned that automotive manufactures are required by law to make parts available for a period of not less than 7 years. Too bad the accessory companies are not bound by the same laws. Total silence and no comment from A.R.E on that one....

I am on a quest to find someone who has run into the same problem who would possibly have the piece of glass I need. I have a really hard time to believe that in all of the dealerships across North America for A.R.E there is not one piece of glass that I need.
I'll ship from wherever and make it worth your while.
Thanks
Bob
Old 02-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Try a glass shop in your area.
They should be able to make a replacement for alot less $$$$.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:38 PM

Thanks Shovelhead

I tried that route first thing. I have a couple of buddies that own an Apple Auto Glass dealership here. They said because the glass is slightly curved they can't make a piece. They offered to make it out of Lexan/Plexiglass but said it wouldn't look 100%.
I may have to go that option though.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:23 PM

My 97 had the same problem with the same ARE shell. The previous owner had a plexi replacement made. Its not a 100% match, but its very close.

-Vic
Old 02-28-2004, 06:44 AM

Maybe you could get ARE to send the glass to your buddy for professional installation to avoid shipping the cap both ways.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:57 AM

A.R.E. has got you BIG time anyway you turn.
I asked that they send me the glass to have it installed here and they did not want to do that. They said that the cap would have to be cut, then the new framework installed before I could install the new glass, and....of course...they want to do that because it would be "cheaper" than having a glass company do it.

Hey Vic R....What side did you break? If I decide to go ahead an get this thing repaired when I win the lottery this Friday.... I will have some glass for sale.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:50 PM

Darnit I think my broken one is the same one yours has broken - the driver's side tip-out rear piece.

I wonder if there is a pickup shell grave yard out there somewhere?

-Vic
Old 03-03-2004, 08:43 PM

Maybee not a graveyard, but a place in Elkhart In called " Kenroy " probably has 10,000 shell or topper windows. Apparently they buy all the old stock of the window manufacturers when a model is changed. I needed a rear window for mine a while back. After a long search I was directed to them. They didnot have the exact window I needed, but had one that fit very well. I cannot tell any difference in the look or fit. This window is big because of it being a highrise. The price.... $50.00 even keyed it to match the side windows. While I was there I asked about a set of side windows that open for the other shell. He tells me to follow him. I saw literally acres of windows on our way to the set I needed.
By the way they are an ARE dealer. Buys their scratches and dents also. I think they show up in the dealer locator for ARE on the web.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-04-2004, 11:42 AM

*In his best Mr. Burns voice*........Exxxcellent.......

Thanks a million electified. Could you get me some details about this place? State? Phone number? Contact person?
I knew if I asked someone here would be able to steer me in the right direction.
Thank you again
Bob
Old 03-04-2004, 01:25 PM

They are in Elkhart, Indiana. I think the telephone is 574 264 0723. I cannot remember if I talked to Ken or Roy. Let us know what you find out.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Banzai Bob
*In his best Mr. Burns voice*........Exxxcellent.......

Thanks a million electified. Could you get me some details about this place? State? Phone number? Contact person?
I knew if I asked someone here would be able to steer me in the right direction.
Thank you again
Bob