Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Quick ? for those that have changed injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick ? for those that have changed injectors

In booking an appointment for the injectors to be changed from stock to RV275s, the diesel shop wants to charge me ~$113.00 for 6 new connector tubes ($18.90 each) that lead into the head from the outside lines. (Keep in mind these are Canadian Funds)

They say that if I don't change these, they could leak, and if that happens (understandably) it would be on my dime if I don't opt to change the tubes.

The appointment is on Nov 28th.

What do you guys think? Pay the extra to get them changed or leave them alone and just change the injectors. Truck has ~70,000 miles on it.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Reuse your tubes and you'll be fine. If it leaks afterwards, it's poor workmanship on their part, not faulty tubes.

There *were* some early engines that should have the tubes replaced with any injector swap, but these were all 1998 models. Your 2002 has the upgraded parts in it already.

These guys are taking something that they once read or heard about in a TSB and ignoring the precise population to which the TSB applies in an effort to line their pockets.

Justin
Old 11-20-2007, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
Reuse your tubes and you'll be fine. If it leaks afterwards, it's poor workmanship on their part, not faulty tubes.
Agreed, I can't remember how many times I've had injectors out of mine to switch them, still using the same tubes that came with it.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:22 AM

You don't need new tubes if you change out the injectors properly.They can be damaged if the mechanic dosent do a very good job swaping them out.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM
JIT

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy
You don't need new tubes if you change out the injectors properly.They can be damaged if the mechanic dosent do a very good job swaping them out.
Agreed... remove the tubes and then remove/install the injectors and they'll be fine! Sounds like BS to me!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:32 PM

I say change them.
I can understand why the shop wants to change them out. If I were doing the job myself, I would reuse the old ones. If I were paying someone else, I would want the best job posible. I think it would be money well spent knowing the shop is going to stand behind their work.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

I think you need to find another shop. If the swap is done properly, they shouldn't damage the tubes. So they are either not confident in their ability to do the swap without screwing something up or they are trying to hose upi on the parts.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The bulletin from Cummins states the connector tubes are required on engines with serial number 56462592 and older. Which means 1998.5's only.

That shop does not instill alot of confidence to me in their ability.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by timbeaux38
I think you need to find another shop. If the swap is done properly, they shouldn't damage the tubes. So they are either not confident in their ability to do the swap without screwing something up or they are trying to hose upi on the parts.
big time !!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the injectors yourself. It's easy and only takes about little over an hour.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:07 PM
BBA

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Do the injectors yourself. It's easy and only takes about little over an hour.
I second that! i knew nearly nothing about working on trucks and when i got the injectors i have now i did it myself. If you have questions people on here can answer them for you!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 PM

On my 98 I have some tubes that come from the injectors that r leaking it looks like a return line or something kind of like on a Bobcat skid steer
Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 PM

Wow so hostile...

Crossover tubes do leak. I had to do new ones when i put my injectors in.

The most common thing that happens is the nipple that goes into the injector becomes slightly deformed, especially if "mechanics" have worked on them and over tightened the injector lines, "squishing" the tubes into the injector. The tubes are softer than the injector and to a degree will contour to the injector.

Sounds like the shop is trying to cover their butt, miminimize warranty work, and make you a happy customer.

Dont run away, thank them for doing preventative maintenance to minimize your down time.

I do remember paying about 90-100 for new crossover tubes from cummins if my memory serves me right.

Many people also do not replace the oring seal on the crossover tube, which helps center the crossover tube to prevent damage. These orings will seal/flat spot to the cylinder head with time, and when removed, they are slightly deformed and do not seal 100% again. New crossover tubes generally include new orings, but make sure they are doing the crossover orings at minimum.. 70k if they havent been cracked open before and retorqued id at least ask to peek at the crossover tubes nipple end before reinstall.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 PM

My injectors have been swapped 5 times now using the stock crossovers... my #1 leaks slightly now sow I will probably replace then all in the near future... So by my book if careful they are good for 4 injector swaps!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you replace the oil drain plug every time you change your oil?

Same concept.

Quick Reply: Quick ? for those that have changed injectors