Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

quick spooling turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick spooling turbos?

i have a 5-speed 24v and the gear gaps can get in the way sometimes. i heard that alot of these aftermarket turbos spool ALMOST as quick as the stock hx35 with a 12CM exhaust. are there any turbos that will produce alot of low-end boost (1150ish RPM) in the aftermarket? will switching to a 9CM housing from an auto truck along with a 60mm comp upgrade work well? im not to concerned about choking out the turbo with a 9CM since im very rarely above 2k. im sure a set of mach 1.6's, a cam, and a programmer like quad adrenaline would help alot to but im on the turbo side of it and i dont have the time/money for twins right now. please offer your thoughts
Old 02-11-2009, 05:58 PM

I'm going to jump in on this.... I also want low rpm turbo spool up.... The only time I go above 2000 is on the highway and when I go there... I drive like an old man...lol don't care about high end.... I want that turbo off the line for plowing snow at low speeds
Old 02-11-2009, 07:08 PM

The little hy35 does spool almost instantly. I ran one with 125 horse injectors and a drag comp for a long time. Just hated to give up the instant power but it did choke bad above around 2400.
The later he351 has the bigger wheels and the small 9cm exhaust housing. I've never ran it as a single but am well satisfied with it in twins. Big Blue24 could tell you more on this turbo as a single. Do a search and you'll get plenty of reading.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:19 PM

There are a lot of different turbos on the market. I had to replace my HX35 just the other month. I bought a BD Super Bee. It spools very quickly and is a good turbo for twins. The other turbo I looked at is an Aurora 3000. It is a great turbo also. The housing size is where to be careful. If you want quick spool like stock stay around a 12 or 13 mm. Anything larger causes more lag.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM

Have u thought about a stock 3rd gen turbo they are supposed to spool quick and keep things cool plus they are cheap
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 AM

If you dont think the stock turbo spools quick and has much low end boost, you def wont be happier with a after market turbo.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy
If you dont think the stock turbo spools quick and has much low end boost, you def wont be happier with a after market turbo.
BINGO!! How quick a turbo spools and how quick it lights are totally different things. A stock turbo will spool from 0 to 15 lbs of boost MUCH quicker than say a much larger BD Super B Special. The only place the big turbo helps is on the top end; it goes from 15lbs of boost to 45+ in the blink of an eye but then again, this is kind of a pain in terms of driveability since its violent on top end and a dog at low engine speeds. Also the slower the large turbo spools on the bottom end, the more smoke you are going to make (not for me).
If you are actually still going to upgrade your turbo, buy all the modifications and match them to each other.

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM

i love pulling sub 2000 rpm and im running a garrett stage 2 so the slighty smaller stage one would probably be very quick in the low rpm's.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM
JIT

You need the stock turbo off an 04.5-05 truck! 60mm comp wheel with 9cm exh.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:55 PM

that stock turbo off a 04.5-05 sounds like exactly what i want to start with!!!will it bolt up to a 2nd gen manifold? and what exhaust pipe will i have to buy/fab? can i upgrade the wheel to a 62mm or sumthing? im aware if i go to far i will have horrible surging problems and choke the motor sumthing terrible, but im willing to play with things these aftermarket turbos dont sound like sumthing im after with my truck... besides they are a pit pricey for me anyway
Old 02-12-2009, 06:48 PM

Yes it will bolt up but you will have to do something on the compressor piping.Probably fab a 4 inch exhaust and I doubt it can be upgraded. If you were going to do that you might as well use the 300 series turbos everyone is using.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by MDLP412
that stock turbo off a 04.5-05 sounds like exactly what i want to start with!!!will it bolt up to a 2nd gen manifold? and what exhaust pipe will i have to buy/fab? can i upgrade the wheel to a 62mm or sumthing? im aware if i go to far i will have horrible surging problems and choke the motor sumthing terrible, but im willing to play with things these aftermarket turbos dont sound like sumthing im after with my truck... besides they are a pit pricey for me anyway
If you are looking for fast spooling, why are you going bigger? Look smaller, that can sustain a high pressure ratio. If you go bigger on comp wheels, you will raise the RPM at which it lights. I'd say an HY35 would be your best bet if you want faster spool up. Or maybe something along the lines of GT2871R, which would spool rediculously quick, but might be pricey.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:33 AM

you cant have a turbo that runs well on top end w/ the sacrifice of spool up. and you cant have a turbo that runs well on low end w/o the sacrifice of top end. The only way to have both is to go with twins and the best short shifter you can find
Old 02-13-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
You mentioned a cam in your original post. You might want to look at it from a bit of a different angle and consider just doing a cam. It will certainly help airflow down low as well as all the way through. Then later on if and or when you do other power upgrades it will benefit those as well. You can get a cam for 500ish (f1's are 488,, local guy here has a grind for 525) and if you can do the install it will be fairly cheap. Even if you cant do the install it wont cost anymore than many of aftermarket turbos and less than some. Though it wont be cheaper than swapping in someones older hy that you could pick up for cheap depending on the fab work you would need to do. If you rarely go above 2k rpms you wont need to worry about springs etc either. A side benefit is you might see an mpg increase as well.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 AM
The Guru

From what I understand that you need springs for the F1 cam. It will spring binds up, so I think you'll need springs. My PDR cam, no you don't. Installing the tappets install is a pain in the butt.

I vote for a garrett ball 3782R stage 2 bearing unit or twins if you want fast spool-up with lots of air. You should run her out on a few gears and hear the turbo spool-up. The cam, injectors, ported head and fueling hard box all help to get things spooling. I bust the tires loose going from idle to wot right from a stop. The air is thinner here, down at sea level, my truck would alot more responsive.

Quick Reply: quick spooling turbos?