Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Quick CB antenna installation question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I'll give it a Google.

My radio is just a 'stock' Uniden Bearcat Pro. No interest really in getting a license or putting out more watts. Mainly just Redneck Radar and a BS device for long hauls home back to Mass...it serves it's purpose.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:45 PM

if your antennaes are tuned properly they should work ok. i get really good range and reception with mine. i have dual 4.5 foot k40s on my truck mounted on my headache rack and my buddy can pick me up clear from 5 miles away with a cheap handheld cb that he has.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
Mainly just Redneck Radar
i love that feature. lets you know right where the cops are at
Old 12-09-2006, 10:56 PM

I'm running grounding wire from the steel plates which I'm mounting the antenna mounts to, to the frame of the truck. Can I run these grounds alongside the coax cable coming up to the antenna? Or should I bring the coax up to the middle of the truck and then break it out that way and keep it away from ground?

Or does it even matter?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:55 PM

I'm just about done.

Here's what I ended up with, hopefully this takes care of the grounding issue, and I've got them about as far apart as I can get them. I made a mistake that first time I mounted them, but I'm glad, because mounting them to this steel and then with the steel backing plates made a world of difference on how flimsy they were on the alum toolbox.

Grounds are 4AWG wire from the stereo shop. Maybe overkill? Shouldn't have a single problem with grounds. Wire-wheeled the frame and the steel plates to shiny bare metal before mounting the antenna mount and both ends of the ground cable.

I think this install took me longer to do than an injector pump R&R! haha. I'm not too happy with the mounting, not much room for anything when in 4LO, and the cable coming out the back of the CB would be better if it had a molded 90* bend to it. Will having it come out and going straight to 90* be a big problem? I can't really avoid it.

Anyways, aside from them being duals, what do you think? Anything I could improve upon? Last step is to hook up power/ground to the CB, but it was about 3am and I didn't feel like working anymore last night. Am I best to get power straight from the battery? What's the advantage of that? What about ground, just hook it to a screw under the dash? Or is there a better method?

Shot after I was done last night:

Can't get much more ground I don't think...

8AWG grounds, 1/8" I think steel plate backing.

Frame ground

Bracket from Geno's Garage. Pretty neat, but I added some extra protection to where it presses up against the seat.

Got to figure out what all these dang ***** and switches do.

Ignore the wires, haven't finished that part up yet.

Where I ended up bringing the coax into the cab:

So, there it is. Just need to hook up power, and figure out how to tune it the best I can.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:12 PM

I was running about the same setup... i had mine on a pedestal mount and always hit it. I had an old president grant with a 667.... good setup , i like that radio!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:16 PM

cb problem

You can buy the 90 degree hookup at most truckstops. I got mine at a Flying J . I had the same problem my coax at was an such angle resting on the floor that it kept breaking the wire inside. The 90 was a quick fix.