Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Questions on cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions on cold air intakes

I have been looking at the S & B cold air intake. Was wondering if anyone had put one on or heard any good or negitive about them. All so what is suggested. Don,t want to spent to much.
Thanks for any help and advice
Old 06-16-2006, 08:47 PM

the AFE stage 2 kit is pretty nice and priced well
Old 06-16-2006, 08:56 PM

afe stage 1 is all you need stage 2 looks better but no extra gains and not worth the extra money
Old 06-16-2006, 11:46 PM

I have the AFE Stage 1 with the prefilter. I like it, but I think the S&B is nice. WOuldn't mind trying it. I also like the Scotty.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by boxer pups
I have been looking at the S & B cold air intake. Was wondering if anyone had put one on or heard any good or negitive about them. All so what is suggested. Don,t want to spent to much.
Thanks for any help and advice
I have one in my truck and it made a noticeable difference in feel and sound. My truck had a K&N drop-in when I bought it. The first thing I did was replace it with the S&B. I knew I was going to make some mods to the truck and figured a little additional clean air would be a good choice.

The elbow from filter to turbo is a hard plastic piece instead of the accordian type I have seen previously. It would seem to me that a slight increase in velocity and flow would result from that configuration. Read about S&B's testing of their filter systems, you may be convinced as I was that it is a fine product. Besides, the clear plexi top on the new airbox has a cool factor that is hard to beat.

Injectors will probably next and I will stay on the low, conservative side as I tow 12-14k from time to time. It will also preserve other things like: tires, fuel economy, clutches, etc, etc. I know myself. If I have lots of power on tap, I will use it, just like my bikes.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:13 AM

I have an S&B intake and like it. When I first put it on my EGT's were the same as with the BHAF. That was to be expected I suppose since it only pulls air from the stock location. I went ahead and drilled a 4" cowl hole (ala Scotty) and EGT's went down about 200 degrees. I did not use the supplied hard pipe from the filter to turbo since I run a TAG. The filter itself does an awsome job. No dirt, no dust even after running 70 miles from the Utah border to Chinle Az in a dust storm that turned day into night.