Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

questions about twins (and a few other ??'s)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions about twins (and a few other ??'s)

alright guys. i'm about to pick up an 02 2500 quad cab 4x4. i've been looking around and reading on here for a few weeks now and i'd like to start planning out how i'm going to build this thing but i've still got some unanswered questions. It will be primarily a daily driver. i want it to hall a**. but i still want plenty of towing capabillity (although i don't forsee towing more than 2 or 3k lbs. on a regular basis. but i want it if i need it). so i'm leaning towards twins. i just want to get everything i need to make it reliable but don't want to buy anything i don't need. so heres my questions.

With twins what kind of fuel system upgrades am i looking at? I'm thinking injectors, and do somthing about the lift pump but after that i donno where to go. also want either a edge juce w/attitude or drag comp. I'll probably have analog gauges either way so it doesn't matter. Also what do you look for in an injector on a twin setup?

I'd like to buy a bolt-on setup if theres any that are worth it. the BD setup looks nice but is it necessary? other than that the only other one i've found is the one from source automotive. whats the best way to go as far as buying a twin setup?

whats the main cause of the vp44 to fail and what should be done about it?

Transmission. can i get away with a tc and vb or should i just replace it with a built tranny? and from what i can tell on transmissions its a toss-up between goerend and DTT. i've seen alot of people swear by both. anybody have anything to add as far as experiences with either one?

and one last thing. whats your attitudes towards 4wd launches? is it necessary? is it just going to completely destroy stuff?

I know this is alot of stuff to ask but like I said i've been reading for a few weeks and these are the questions i've yet to figure out. so if you can answer any or all of these feel free to chime in. thanks guys.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too much for one post...IMO. I can't remember all your questions

I would do the tranny first, since you sound serious about the HP your going after. Your truck will thank you for it. And do a full rebuild for best reliability!

If only towing 2-3K... don't consider that in you equation. Any combo you come up with will do that easily! If you want to be able to tow 20,000 lbs, you are limiting many of your "haul butt" options.

You need to do searches and lots of reading to come up with a realistic HP level your after. That number will make most of the decisions you have ahead of you a lot easier. We ( and your tranny builder) can't really advise you till you give more input as to final power level and how CTD will be used.

Some unsolicited advise - Don't be in a hurry. Enjoy the process. Do one thing at a time and evaluate the results before moving up! Most have had to do it that way because of financial constraints. But even if money is no object, it's still the best way to go! (JMO, and sorry...I hate unsolicited advise, too)

RJ
Old 12-28-2006, 06:51 PM

lol. nah i'm open to any advice someone with more knowledge is willing to share with me. and yeah lately i've been thinking i'll be wanting to do the tranny first. i know thats alot of questions but i just figured someone could pick one or 2 out and just answer those and eventually all of them would get answered. but now that i think about it that would end up being really confusing. And from the looks of it money's not really going to be an issue. in january i leave the state for a new job and when i come back in 6 months i'll have wayyyy more cash than i'll need for the whole project. but thanks again for any and all input and i'll try to limit the questions next time.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullet830
lol. nah i'm open to any advice someone with more knowledge is willing to share with me. and yeah lately i've been thinking i'll be wanting to do the tranny first. i know thats alot of questions but i just figured someone could pick one or 2 out and just answer those and eventually all of them would get answered. but now that i think about it that would end up being really confusing. And from the looks of it money's not really going to be an issue. in january i leave the state for a new job and when i come back in 6 months i'll have wayyyy more cash than i'll need for the whole project. but thanks again for any and all input and i'll try to limit the questions next time.

you only need about 15k-20k to do the whole truck RIGHT!
do tranny 1st, then head work(studs, port and polish)springs and cam, twins, tst smarty and mach 7's. then maybe water and meth or NOS!
if i forgot something someone else will chime in,
good luck!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by dieselfan
do tranny 1st, then head work(studs, port and polish)springs and cam, twins, tst smarty and mach 7's. then maybe water and meth or NOS!
good luck!
With those mods you're gonna need some good brakes!
Old 12-29-2006, 03:51 AM

how safe is stacking different tuners??? i know a lot of people do it but has anyone run into any problems with this?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problems...all positive!.... as long as only one of the boxes has timing.
Smarty on a TST PM3 (or EZ on PM3) is IMO, the prefered combo.
Many others prefer one box that does it all... like the Edge Comp.

RJ
Old 12-29-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfan
good luck!
yeah i don't think i'm gonna need ALL of that. just most. i'm only lookin for 12's so i'm thinking built tranny, studs, springs, and cam. then twins, 150hp injectors, a RAD, and either a edge Drag Comp or TST & Smarty. might o-ring the head too. i don't wanna mess with W/M or nitrous though. don't like the idea of having to refill somthing to make full power. thats just me. but yeah i got some really good tips from paulb so if this isn't the exact setup i go with it will be really close!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Registered

if your going to run twins o rings are a must and you might as well throw some mach 6's in there instead of 150 hp injectors....
Old 12-29-2006, 02:49 PM

oh yeah and what should i do about the lift pump? is the fass sufficent to support this kind of power?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:20 PM

yeah i don't think i'm gonna need ALL of that. just most. i'm only lookin for 12's so i'm thinking built tranny, studs, springs, and cam. then twins, 150hp injectors, a RAD, and either a edge Drag Comp or TST & Smarty. might o-ring the head too. i don't wanna mess with W/M or nitrous though. don't like the idea of having to refill somthing to make full power. thats just me. but yeah i got some really good tips from paulb so if this isn't the exact setup i go with it will be really close!
Plan ahead, do you really think youll be satisfied with 12's?
12's will only make you want 11's!
so do it right and get a least mach 6's (220) im just trying to save you some $$$.

glacier diesel sells a nice fuel system and so does air dog fuel something.
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/de..._id=09-003-001
FASS is sufficient, just a little pricey JMO.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:07 PM

yeah you're probably right. i wouldn't want to buy injectors twice.

on somthing like the BD twin turbo kit do you have to have an exhaust custom made or will most aftermarket exhaust systems bolt up?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:44 PM

yeah you're probably right. i wouldn't want to buy injectors twice.

on somthing like the BD twin turbo kit do you have to have an exhaust custom made or will most aftermarket exhaust systems bolt up?
i think an aftermarket exhaust would be fine, thats whats so great about the BD kit, its a bolt on kit. no need to stud the head UNLESS you turn the boost up.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:54 PM

lol. well knowing me i should just go ahead and get studs and o-rings. cuz i will turn the boost up with out a doubt, its just a matter of time. i've driven the truck i'm gettin quite a bit and i love it, so i'd rather build it than blow it up and rebuild it.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:10 PM
The Guru

If your gonna run mach 6er's go with a bigger set of twins. I would break the stock stuff first first then move-up. If you got money the ported head&o-ringed and aftermarket cam is a great fix for the laggy turbos. 12's would be stretch for 150's injectors. If you do some tuning you could get 150's and BD twins into the high 12's but to run low 12's you need more power. I would run the HX-40/S400 twin route. ARP Studs. If you go the cam route, you could use the stock 12v lift pump. Some guys put in an overflow valve to regulate the pressure. As for tranny there are lots of choices. DTT is a good choice and go with the billet shafts. A high stall converter is also great for better 60ft's times. towing 2k to 3k, a stock truck could do that day in and day out with no issues. As for boxes use the drag box with the red line box. You should be able to rev to 4k and reduce your et's as well. You will also need to think about an aftermarket intercooler as a stocker is only good for 50psi and start leaking. Good intercooler clamps and boots are also need to keep the boost leaks to a minimum. For an exhaust go the 5in route.