Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

questions about ats tranny upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 01:11 PM
j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions about ats tranny upgrades

first of all, what kind of performance increase can i expect if i do the triple loc and a valve body upgrade? also does anyone know a good tranny place in central ca. for the above upgrades? thanks!
Old 08-31-2003, 01:21 PM

Re:questions about ats tranny upgrades

The only ATS shop I know of in Ca. is Bellflower Transmission, in Bellflower. But that's Southern Ca., your best bet is to give ATS a call and ask them.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:22 PM

Call ATS and they will refer you to a dealer or shop that can install your ATS tc and vb.
1800 949 6002 www.atsdiesel.com

Peformance increases, well transmission upgrades are not really for increasing power, but they do operate more effeciently (then your oem tranny) and help more power get to the ground from your engine.

Also, if you are wanting to go up in power (I see an EZ in your sig), you will need to upgrade your tranny to help it survive the extra power thrown at it.

Some things you will notice from your Triplelok converter and Valve body.
Improved shift points, shifts will be on time and firm but cushioned somewhat (not too hard).
Your converter will no longer suffer from slippage like the stock one, the ATS triplelok cannot slip by design.
The valve body from ATS will control these shift points and increase line pressures somewhate to increase clamping force on your factory clutches to eliminate slippage and prolong transmission life.

I run the ATS stage 4 trans, and lockup controller.
It puts the power to the ground. As many that run this setup on this site drag race and sled pull with this transmission.

Good luck!
--Justin

Old 08-31-2003, 03:21 PM
j

thanks for the info, i was wondering about performance increase because i cant tell how much is being lost through the stock tranny now. when i stomp on it from a dead stop it seems to hold 1st gear very long, like it wants to shift, but just doesnt.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What does it tach out to before it shifts to second?

Chris
Old 08-31-2003, 09:44 PM

The ATS stage IV is an exellent upgrade. Everything you throw at the motor will get to the ground faster and smoother. It is my most important upgrade.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:18 PM

Just wanted to say that once got it, Yu'll want "MORE POWER"this Trp-loc gets the power to the ground. ;D ;D
Just got done with exaust,turbo & ATS manifold, now the trany doing it's thing. ;D ;D

ramguy

Trending Topics

Old 09-01-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Cummins Cal Pacific has done the ATS mods. I don't know if there is one near you, but give Clint a call. However, any good shop can do the ATS rebuild, as all the difficult machine work has already been done by ATS. Yes, they DO do ALL their own engineering, manufacturing and machine work. I think ATS has done the most thorough job of engineering of any of the Performance Trans Rebuilders out there.

I got my ATS stage IV about 18 months ago and it is the best thing I ever did to my truck. My truck leaps off the line now, instead of slogging slowing forward while the engine roars!

They are a family run business and they stand behind everything they do 100%. I would go with them again in a heartbeat! Clint's # is 800-949-6002
Old 09-01-2003, 12:14 PM
j

Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:09 PM

J you are gona like it you will have a ;D all over your face.

Edward
Old 09-01-2003, 10:47 PM

J. I know what you are refering to about the hesitation before shifting. That will be gone. Trans will shift fast and strong when the time comes, no reving or hesitation. Like right now. No time lost. A great investment and will handle any & all mods that you can throw at it. Power to the ground. ;D
Old 09-02-2003, 07:22 PM

Would all you ATS owners mind posting (or PM me) how much you paid for your trans, including shipping/installation if applicable? I just got a quote and I'm in sticker shock even though I've been saving for a while, I still wasn't quite prepared... :-
Old 09-02-2003, 08:52 PM
j

ctd99--- i had a quote of "roughly" $2000 give or take a couple hundred, it seemed a little low considering the parts alone are about $1500-1800. i think it will depend on where you're located in the country. california prices seem to be a bit higher than most other areas from my experience. i may consider driving out of state when the time comes.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Banned

I just ordered mine and it will be installed on 09-22-03, the price with shipping, installation, tax a little over 4800.00
Old 09-08-2003, 10:20 PM
j

y-knot.... i take it that price is for a whole tranny and not just the parts?

Quick Reply: questions about ats tranny upgrades