Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Question for you folks with the ETH/6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for you folks with the ETH/6 speed

I am curious.<br>This is my truck:<br>01 2500 ETH/6speed with 4:10 gears and BFG 315 tires. These are the &quot;performance goodies&quot; that I have added to her so far. Edge EZ w elbow, TST PM3, DDIIs. <br>Other stuff K&amp;N air filter (soon to have a BHAF) 4 inch exhaust - the muffler, -8 fuel line kit, exhaust brake, 2 low kit and thats about it.<br>I had a chance to dyno my truck after each upgrade. here are my numbers.<br>Bone stock = 223 HP 462 Tor<br>plus Edge EZ = 253 620 gain of 30 HP and 158 Torq<br>plus DDIIs =326 799 gain of 73 and 179<br>plus TST PM3 =373 821 gain of 47 and 22<br><br>I have had a couple of folks try to explain it to me but I just can not get it through my head why I only gained 47 HP and 22 Foot pounds of Torque :-[ Something else I don't understand is why are the three runs set on three different setting are almost on top of each other?? I did one run on setting 3 another on setting 6 and the last on setting 9. This was prior to getting the -8 fuel line kit and the fuel pressure droped down to 2/3 psi. So why didn't I see any improvement in HP/Torq?? ??? ??? ???<br><br>I am not trying to start anything I just want to know what kind of numbers other folks are seeing with the same set up as mine. The dynos two different ones where Dyno jets. <br><br> I am not trying to start anything, nor am pointing fingers or anything else. I just want to know why<br>Thanks for the help on this.<br>See Ya<br>Chris
Old 07-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Banned

Re:Question for you folks with the ETH/6 speed

I think your trying to start something. <br><br>I think your fuel pressure might have something to do with it. Your not supplying the fuel that box needs. From what I've heard, the TST PM3 is a very strong fueling box and requires a lot of fuel. I've also heard that the HO's (that's the ETH, right?) are a little harder to get power out of and respond better to injectors than they do fueling boxes.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:12 PM

What kind of EGT did you see?<br><br>I think low Fuel rpessure, combined with little Air. (Stock turbo?)<br><br>What kind of dyno?<br>What gear did you dyno in?
Old 07-09-2003, 06:55 PM

PaPa....As we don't have all the information, like turbo size, boost levels etc., my guess is that you have increased fueling, however, not the intake air issue. In order to increase RWHP with your fuel, you need to provide more air = more boost = more power.<br><br>Steve
Old 07-09-2003, 08:38 PM

Hello again<br>I have the stock turbo that is on the HO. Boost PSI was close to 40. And the EGT was about 12/1400. Once the boost built up the smoke went away. At least the best I could tell and remember.<br>I have the SB 13.25 clutch in her as well.<br>It is starting to sound like the second little black box will be coming out of her.<br><br>Are you folks running the same set up as I am?? <br>Thanks for your input so far
Old 07-09-2003, 08:48 PM

Just an FYI.<br><br>I was using a bigger turbo than you, but, I dyno'd 40HP LESS in direct (5th) than I did in O.D. (6th)<br><br>ETH's don't respond as well to boxes as the ETC's do, but ETH's, respond very well to injectors.<br><br>Hope This Helps.<br><br>Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 07-09-2003, 11:11 PM

Not to sound like a wise donkey, you pushing an Hx-35 turbo to close to 40 psi, is not wise and you're still starving the engine for air. Changing the box to increase fueling will only end up with a blown stock turbo=no HP...
Old 07-09-2003, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dyno figures look normal for your modifications. More turbo and bigger fuel lines aren't going to help much, if at all.<br><br>The ETH VP44 does not respond to a fueling box like the ETC VP44 does, and you cannot compare the two. I'm not fimlar on how the fueling levels on the PM3 are set, but after you set it at a high enough level you won't see any higher hp figures on any succeeding levels. <br><br>When I used to run the old three level Edge box there were no differences in hp between the three levels on my ETH. Level one maxed out the pump. This was with DD3s, hybrid HX35, 4&quot; exhaust, pusher pump, Ray's banjos, etc.<br><br>The ETC VP44 has larger plungers than the ETH, which means it pumps a larger volume of fuel. This helps it better respond to a fueling box. The ETH VP44 has smaller plungers and steeper ramps than the ETC, and runs at a much higher pressure. This helps it better respond to larger injectors. <br><br>The stock ETH injector is smaller than the stock ETC injector.<br><br>There are also timing differences between the two VP44s and they don't necessarily interchange. DD tried an ETH VP44 on an ETC, back in 2000. It ran pretty bad.<br><br>My guess is you may see some increases between the PM3 levels with even larger injectors. There's probably someone here who can give you more definate information on this.<br>
Old 07-10-2003, 03:39 PM

Thanks Bart between your post and information I was sent by John it has finally made its way through my thick head.

But, could it be that my truck didn't like getting her wire penetrated . After all there was some folks she never met before putting there hands on her ;D ;D that day.

Thanks to all the other posts as well.
See Ya
Chris
Old 07-10-2003, 09:59 PM

We had agreat time at the race track tonight.<br>Yes I was beat by my wife and John. It was great 8) ;D <br>Here are my times.<br>best run was 16.59 at 85.09<br> 16.78 at 83.61<br> 16.83 at 82.97 this is where Leigh Ann beat me she was only .16 off of her dial in. ;D<br>and a Text13.75 at 98.05 Woops that was someone elses time ;D I ran a 17.35 at 81.38<br><br>the above was with everything hooked up.<br>the below is without the TST.<br>best time without 17.50 at 81.53 <br> 17.11 at 76.76<br><br>Of course there are lots of things that may have made the speed different, I tried my best to drive the same each time. <br><br>This is what we have decided to do. Use the tst on Leigh Ann's truck (non ETH engine) after we go through the trans.<br><br>I learned from what I did on my truck and the reason for my post has to help myself and any other ETH/6 speed owner who was thinking about doing what I did. Who knows you may have better luck than I did.<br>Thanks again for the help on this.<br>See Ya<br>Chris <br>
Old 07-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Chris:<br><br>You and I already talked about this earlier tonight,<br>but,.....by your posted numbers that TST box cut<br>one full second off your 1/4 mile times! Anytime<br>you can cut that much I think that is a good <br>thing!! <br><br>-------<br>John_P