Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

question about exhaust smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about exhaust smoke

ok guys. I'm trying to get my stepdad's 01 ext. cab 2500 4x4 from my mom soon. its in great shape with just over 95k miles. auto trans. I know i'm going to want to start modding it asap so my question is what makes diesels smoke like alot of them i've seen? after air intake and exhaust i want to get a box for it but i've seen alot of diesels that smoke and I'd like to minimize that. so whats the cause and what can be done? i tried searching and couldn't find anything so any input would be apprieciated. thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:19 AM

when you add fuel without enough air, you get smoke.... basically, any 'box' is going to produce some smoke.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Banned

exactly what he said, too much fuel and not enough air.

the only way to add power without some smoke is to add a turbo early on to provide lots of air for the fuel added by a chip or injectors, and even then you will have some slight smoke during spool up
Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Banned

Ever hear the "having your cake and eating it too" expresion? That about sums it up. Just don't make your next question "where do I get a huge turbo that doesn't have any lag"! Just kiddin' with ya, welcome to the forum. You can 'minimize' smoke by turning the low boost fuel adjust down. That a way your box doesn't shove a lot of fuel out until your turbo gets up to speed and has enough air moving to properly burn the fuel. I do that on my edge box, but if you really get into it, you are going to have some smoke. And you might not like it now, but it is really cool....at least for most of us on DTR. Just don't smoke out grandma or smokey bear and you'll be fine. Also, you can push the pedal lightly until your boost gets over 10 psi or so then dump it. I do that too. That almost gets rid of most of the smoke.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:56 PM

What if I dont seem to be getting any smoke? I have a comp box and an intake and I dont get any smoke at all.
I have only run it on 2x5, and I don't have the wire tapped.
Shouldn't I be seeing some smoke???
Old 12-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

you should see a little bit when you first stomp on it.

check you connections

are you feeling the ~60hp increase the edge EZ (comp untapped) gives you?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:14 PM

It definitely pulls harder with the comp box on. I have tried 1x5 and 2x5. 2x5 pulls a little harder. Merges into taffic great. I just would have expected a little smoke and I don't seem to be able to find it.
I am getting ready to but the stealth box cover to tap the wire.
I will need to save my pennies for a new trans soon...
Old 12-06-2006, 05:05 PM

so the edge box can limit low boost fuel a little? cuz i been looking at the edge j/a set up. taking care of this truck is also important so i like the safety features. and i know a bit about turbos so i know theres no huge turbos with no lag . so basicly what i've gathered from reading stuff this forum is that programmers, injectors and most other fuel components are where diesels gain most of their power from. adding fuel ads heat and smoke. heat (and/or high egt) can be remedied by adding larger exhaust and downpipe as well as intake and larger turbo. the larger turbo will also help with smoke a bit but to do that its best to have one that can also spool relatively quickly. am i gettin this stuff right???????
Old 12-07-2006, 02:36 AM

i mean is that the basics of diesel tuning? i know i'm simplifying it quite a bit but i just wanna know if i'm understanding the basic way these engines work.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:17 AM

the basics of diesel tuning... you must add fuel to make power. At a certain point, you must also add more cool, dense air to maximize and safely make the power you've added via fuel at which point you will feel it necessary to again add even more fuel...
Old 12-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by silverbullet830
so the edge box can limit low boost fuel a little? cuz i been looking at the edge j/a set up. taking care of this truck is also important so i like the safety features. and i know a bit about turbos so i know theres no huge turbos with no lag . so basicly what i've gathered from reading stuff this forum is that programmers, injectors and most other fuel components are where diesels gain most of their power from. adding fuel ads heat and smoke. heat (and/or high egt) can be remedied by adding larger exhaust and downpipe as well as intake and larger turbo. the larger turbo will also help with smoke a bit but to do that its best to have one that can also spool relatively quickly. am i gettin this stuff right???????
Yes. You can adjust the low boost fueling on each of the five Juice settings from 1 (least aggressive, low smoke) to 5 (most aggressive, most smoke). That is usually what we mean when we say 3-1 or 2-4 and so on. Power level 3 with low boost set on 1 and so on. I drive on 3-2 most of the time. It is responsive, but I can control smoke with my foot just learning how to drive differently. Ease into it until you get some boost, 10 psi or so, and then dump the pedal. That minimizes it most of the time to just a little grey puff.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silverbullet830
am i gettin this stuff right???????
Yup!....You got it!

RJ
Old 12-07-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots Of Smoke With A Comp/ez

I know this works on the Edge products, but if you're wanting more smoke than your seeing now.... unplug the map sensor from the cummins, leave the stock one plugged into the edge but unplug the edge from the block.... it will ROLL COAL!!! haha I have it hooked up to a little switch (tan wire) and can flip it off if i wanna show off or something! Give it a shot haha just you will get MPG and i wouldnt leave it unplugged for too long.
TNutcher
Old 12-07-2006, 01:26 PM

TNutcher...how exactly did you set it up to where you can switch your map sensor on and off?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Yes. You can adjust the low boost fueling on each of the five Juice settings from 1 (least aggressive, low smoke) to 5 (most aggressive, most smoke). That is usually what we mean when we say 3-1 or 2-4 and so on. Power level 3 with low boost set on 1 and so on. I drive on 3-2 most of the time. It is responsive, but I can control smoke with my foot just learning how to drive differently. Ease into it until you get some boost, 10 psi or so, and then dump the pedal. That minimizes it most of the time to just a little grey puff.
ohhhh ok. i thought that when people were talkin about two numbers like you said that they were referring to the edge comp box. cuz i know its advertized as having 5 settings with 5 sublevels. well thanks. thats definately good to know.

and i mean i dont have a HUGE problem with exhaust smoke. i'd deal with it if it was necessary to make the power i want, i just would prefer to do without it for the most part. i mean sh**. i don't even have to pass emissions out here

Quick Reply: question about exhaust smoke