Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

question about the BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JAX
OK Bart, a couple of things here...

1st of all, the engineers that designed the Cummins motor in our trucks are not the same guys that designed the air filtration system. Remember our trucks say DODGE on them, not CUMMINS. If Cummins had designed our air filtration system, it would have a BHAF on it since that is pretty much a standard size filter for the tractor trailer guys. It only makes sense that it flows more air, these filters are OEM for some HUGE diesel motors.

Secondly, if you do not like the BHAF, that's fine, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But others here on this site (myself included) believe that the BHAF is a good upgrade for those who do not want to spend a couple hundred bucks on an air system yet. So, like mommy and daddy used to say, If you don't have anything nice to say, STFU! LMAO

Just kidding with that last part, no offense meant. Just too hard to resist.
It was Cummins engineers who designed the air filter. They also designed the 3rd gen air filters. I once attended a seminar where Cummins engineers talked about the amount of engineering that went into the 3rd gen air box to quiet it down, which is probably why it isn't as efficient as the 2nd gen.

It was also Cummins engineers who opted to use the Carter lift pump and Bosch VP44. But if you believe Dodge did all these things, in particular the air filter system, go ahead and think it.

And if you're going to spend a couple of hunderd bucks on a different air filter system, that's truely money wasted. The money would better be spent on a turbo hybrid. Upgrading the turbo will give better egt control and more increased power than any intake system, exhaust system, or combination of the two. A HX35 can be hybrided for as little as $200.

Sorry if you don't think telling the truth is "nice".
Old 05-26-2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by JD farmboy
Hey, if you want better economy and power for less, go on ebay and get you an edge comp for about $350.00 to $400.00, I'm serious! I just got one and oh man, what a difference, like night and day , I know I have more power! And as far as fuel economy, well, I just got it so I don't know, but even if I did know, my fuel economy wouldn't be good anyway, I CAN'T KEEP MY FOOT OFF THE THROTTLE!!!

If you do this though, you need an egt guage and fuel pressure guage ASAP. Get a fuel pressure guage even if you get nothing else and keep watch of your fp, cuz if you waste an injection pump, it will be a waste of $1500 that could have been well spent on other mods.

As far as mileage, I'm hoping (if I can keep my foot out of it ) to gain 1 or 2 mpg. Time will tell.

Does anybody else know if the edge comp adds mpg?

Please post info here, help this guy out.

As far as a BHAF goes, nahhh, not for me, I still have my stock airbox w/ paper filter. I'm savin' up for a Scotty II ! Thats the way to go, that way you'll be ready for future mods! I mentioned the egt guage, cuz with a stock air box/edge comp combo, its important to watch egt's especially when towing.

But for the money I spent, (350.00) and the results I got, IMO its the way to go.
Young man, you've learned well about where to spend your hard earned performance dollars, and you're helping push back the frontiers of ignorance. But be sure you've also got guages.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
I agree, to a point, and I have a BHAF.

My stock airbox was warped just enough to let some dust in on the corners.

BHAF sure looks cool, and sounds cool, and I haven't seen a speck of dust in the intake tube or turbo since I put it on.

That right there is good enough for me.

I rather enjoy long rides on bumpy dusty roads out in the middle of nowhere,
an oiled filter would get clogged up in no time,
but the paper filter does great with the bumps jarring the buildup of dust off.

phox
Can't argue that one, Phox. It's the only argument for using the BHAF so far which makes sense.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
That is a great point and I'm glad you brought that up
Since you're hanging out in left field again Bart I thought I'd join you

I've found that blocking off a portion of your fender so air is forced through the hole and towards your airbox to be highly effective even when tested with a scrap peice of cardboard as the air dam Maybe it'd help the BHAF guys get some cooler air.
Exactly where are you placing the air dam? I guess i'm having trouble seeing how this would be any better of a modification than drawing air from the cowl.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside the engine compartment in the fenderwell just past the hole. I popped the hood, folded a peice of carboard and crammed it in there to test and saw big gains in spoolup. Then tried drilled a hole and plumbed in some air from the cowl. I saw no difference with the cowl induction after setting up an air dam- in egt nor spool. This is with the stock air box with the boot removed.

I've only seen one other member who's tried this:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=39889
Old 05-30-2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
Young man, you've learned well about where to spend your hard earned performance dollars, and you're helping push back the frontiers of ignorance. But be sure you've also got guages.

Yup! I've got a set of Autometer's C2 guages, and I love 'em!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:21 PM
KVD

Ok was is so good about the scotty II.

I know the cold air intakes reduce egts why I don't know but I've seen it on the gauages.