Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

question about the BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digbog
hey bart. being that im fairly new to to these trucks what what is the EZ and VA? still lernin.
Perofrmance boxes. There are some good deals on used ones out there.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:35 AM
jht

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my .02 but I dont think the BHAF gives you more power. seems to me that it lets the turbo spool quicker which makes better use of the fuel thats already there instead of dumping it down the tailpipe..the straw analogy fits.. the load is spread out which is less restrictive..Kinda like trying to drain a pool with a garden hose or a 2 1/2" firehose, which one would you use?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:00 AM

Sorry to pull this thread even more off track.

But can someone tell me EXACTLY why the Kay and In filter is SUCH a bad choice?

Danke!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:10 AM
Chapter President

I like my BHAF. Built the heat shield, in my gallery. I did not use the stuff around my ac lines though. I got some heavy foam from work, it comes on the new cars, sticks to the doors to protect them when they get in and out while either on the train or the truck...anyhow, about 5" long and around 3" high, I cut them out and took my time to line everything up so the filter would rest on these supports, plus raise the bottom of the filter off the shield. Got my outerwears on and have had Zero problems. Can't tell you about fuel mileage, this was my first mod and did not have the truck long when I did it...turbo is louder.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:11 AM

The main difference I have noticed with any aftermarket air filter, is that the turbo spools up much quicker. Now this probably does not have much of an impact on overall horsepower and torque numbers at max. Where it has made a difference is when towing or getting off the line I feel that it expands the power curve into the lower rpm's a little more. For example my truck does not lug at all now with the BHAF if I launch in 2nd gear, it used to a little with the stock box.

Just what I have noticed...
Old 05-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Murf

Danke!
K&N will let dirt through. Do a search, and read for hours.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by caleb c.
Pretty simple really, More air= more complete combustion= reduced EGT's.The small difference of intake air temperature between the stock filter pulling from the fender and the BHAF pulling from the engine compartment is made up by the increased flow from the larger less restrictive filter. Unless its a drastic change, intake air temperature doesn't seem to have a HUGE effect on EGT,I think its more air quanity. Plus, there is a reason they put innercoolers on these trucks, to cool the air! The Scotty is such a cool deal that it DOES suck in actual cool air and large amounts of it, so in situations like this I think air temp does play a factor. That being said, I did notice a EGT reduction from the BHAF. And sure its not the best filter out there, but for the price and its intended use it works great. BTW, the stock intake tube is fine, the ridges are only on the outside so there really is no restriction at that point.
More air also means more power, and the BHAF has never shown to increase power in any test I've ever seen. The TDR did a air filter test about 4 or 5 years ago. The only filter which showed any increase in hp over stock was the AFE, which was only 3 or 4 hp. A BHAF was included in the test, and if I remember correctly actually showed a power decease. The Scotty wasn't tested.

If you think that 40+ degrees intake temp increases don't also increase egts, better think again. That's what the BHAF is using because that's what underhood temps run above ambient. You only have to compare egts on a cool spring day vs. a hot summer day to see the difference air temperature can make. Air temperature in the the stock box is only just a couple of degrees above outside temps, running down the road.

A look at SAE dyno correction factors finds that a 40 degree decrease in inlet temps is very close to a 1" hg increase in air pressure when measuring power.

The stock 2nd gen air cleaner doesn't represent a big enough restriction for your arguments to make any sense. The BHAF would have to show at least a 1" hg increase in atmospheric pressure at the turbo inlet, over the stock box, just to overcome the 40 degree temperature difference between the two. I submit it doesn't have any less restriction than the stock system with the boot reinforced, and so therefore all you're doing is using hotter underhood air with the BHAF, loosing power, and actually increasing egts.

The stock 2nd gen air box just isn't that bad and you waste any money spent on a BHAF, unless you like the extra noise and looks of it, IMO.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hillcountry
The main difference I have noticed with any aftermarket air filter, is that the turbo spools up much quicker. Now this probably does not have much of an impact on overall horsepower and torque numbers at max. Where it has made a difference is when towing or getting off the line I feel that it expands the power curve into the lower rpm's a little more. For example my truck does not lug at all now with the BHAF if I launch in 2nd gear, it used to a little with the stock box.

Just what I have noticed...
If the turbo spools faster, you see the difference on the dyno. There will be more area under the power curve. More power lower at lower rpm. Air cleaner changes hardly ever show up on the dyno. If you can't see it in a controlled enviroment of a dyno, how will you ever feel it on the street?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
The stock 2nd gen air box just isn't that bad and you waste any money spent on a BHAF, unless you like the extra noise and looks of it, IMO.
I agree, to a point, and I have a BHAF.

My stock airbox was warped just enough to let some dust in on the corners.

BHAF sure looks cool, and sounds cool, and I haven't seen a speck of dust in the intake tube or turbo since I put it on.

That right there is good enough for me.

I rather enjoy long rides on bumpy dusty roads out in the middle of nowhere,
an oiled filter would get clogged up in no time,
but the paper filter does great with the bumps jarring the buildup of dust off.

phox
Old 05-25-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Murf

Danke!
i agree, just do a search, if you don't find what ur looking for, just send me a pm and i'll explain.

i had one on my truck and what a waste of $220, when i could of got something better for about $70 or less (the BHAF). the k&n had all sorts of dust in the intake tube and as soon as i noticed that, i ordered the bhaf!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:10 PM

i just wanted to say that the bhaf is not a WASTE of money

my $220 dollars spent on my k&n was a HUGE WASTE of money!

buy the bhaf, and IMO, you'll be SAVING money!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:13 PM

More air also means more power, and the BHAF has never shown to increase power in any test I've ever seen. The TDR did a air filter test about 4 or 5 years ago. The only filter which showed any increase in hp over stock was the AFE, which was only 3 or 4 hp. A BHAF was included in the test, and if I remember correctly actually showed a power decease. The Scotty wasn't tested.

If you think that 40+ degrees intake temp increases don't also increase egts, better think again. That's what the BHAF is using because that's what underhood temps run above ambient. You only have to compare egts on a cool spring day vs. a hot summer day to see the difference air temperature can make. Air temperature in the the stock box is only just a couple of degrees above outside temps, running down the road.

A look at SAE dyno correction factors finds that a 40 degree decrease in inlet temps is very close to a 1" hg increase in air pressure when measuring power.

The stock 2nd gen air cleaner doesn't represent a big enough restriction for your arguments to make any sense. The BHAF would have to show at least a 1" hg increase in atmospheric pressure at the turbo inlet, over the stock box, just to overcome the 40 degree temperature difference between the two. I submit it doesn't have any less restriction than the stock system with the boot reinforced, and so therefore all you're doing is using hotter underhood air with the BHAF, loosing power, and actually increasing egts.

Points taken, But on another note, tests for horse power don't mean a whole lot to me. What matters is that I can physically tell a difference in power and air quality. And I think for the price, this filter delivers both. A filter is not a power increaser, it just changes the way the power gets there. In a bad comparison, the smarty doesn't add a whole lot of power on a dyno, but you CAN feel the difference. Although a drastic comparison, it is the same principle. And trust me, the stock filter box can leak. I'm not saying the stock filter box is a huge restriction, I just don't trust it's filtering capabilities. And as for the design of it, its crap. Most all I have seen don't even draw air from the fender boot, most are crushed, leaking, or are not even on anymore. In this case it will be drawing the same underhood air as a BHAF, right? It seems that way to me, but like always, I could be way off!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:12 PM

Hey, if you want better economy and power for less, go on ebay and get you an edge comp for about $350.00 to $400.00, I'm serious! I just got one and oh man, what a difference, like night and day , I know I have more power! And as far as fuel economy, well, I just got it so I don't know, but even if I did know, my fuel economy wouldn't be good anyway, I CAN'T KEEP MY FOOT OFF THE THROTTLE!!!

If you do this though, you need an egt guage and fuel pressure guage ASAP. Get a fuel pressure guage even if you get nothing else and keep watch of your fp, cuz if you waste an injection pump, it will be a waste of $1500 that could have been well spent on other mods.

As far as mileage, I'm hoping (if I can keep my foot out of it ) to gain 1 or 2 mpg. Time will tell.

Does anybody else know if the edge comp adds mpg?

Please post info here, help this guy out.

As far as a BHAF goes, nahhh, not for me, I still have my stock airbox w/ paper filter. I'm savin' up for a Scotty II ! Thats the way to go, that way you'll be ready for future mods! I mentioned the egt guage, cuz with a stock air box/edge comp combo, its important to watch egt's especially when towing.

But for the money I spent, (350.00) and the results I got, IMO its the way to go.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:56 PM
JAX

Is the CTD well designed? The same engineers who designed the engine also designed the air filter. Do you honestly think they would leave 2 m/gal on the table with a badly designed air intake system? Lets be realistic about claims.

Increased filter area, or not, the BHAF doesnt flow any better than the stocker. Some brands flow less. It may filter a little better.

No one has ever shown it increases power in a controlled dyno test. If it doesn't show more power on the dyno how can you ever see it or feel it on the street.

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain how it reduces egts while it's using hot underhood air, even with a heat shield.

The only performance problem with the stock 2nd gen air intake is the rubber boot between the fender and air box. It tends to collapse. An effective mod is to remove it completely or strengthen it.
OK Bart, a couple of things here...

1st of all, the engineers that designed the Cummins motor in our trucks are not the same guys that designed the air filtration system. Remember our trucks say DODGE on them, not CUMMINS. If Cummins had designed our air filtration system, it would have a BHAF on it since that is pretty much a standard size filter for the tractor trailer guys. It only makes sense that it flows more air, these filters are OEM for some HUGE diesel motors.

Secondly, if you do not like the BHAF, that's fine, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But others here on this site (myself included) believe that the BHAF is a good upgrade for those who do not want to spend a couple hundred bucks on an air system yet. So, like mommy and daddy used to say, If you don't have anything nice to say, STFU! LMAO

Just kidding with that last part, no offense meant. Just too hard to resist.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 PM

The BHAF would have to show at least a 1" hg increase in atmospheric pressure at the turbo inlet, over the stock box, just to overcome the 40 degree temperature difference between the two.
That is a great point and I'm glad you brought that up
Since you're hanging out in left field again Bart I thought I'd join you

I've found that blocking off a portion of your fender so air is forced through the hole and towards your airbox to be highly effective even when tested with a scrap peice of cardboard as the air dam Maybe it'd help the BHAF guys get some cooler air.

Quick Reply: question about the BHAF