Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

question about the BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about the BHAF

where can i find a bhaf for my 01 and whats the average cost? also, is it best to replace the factory intake tube with a smoother tube? i basically want to increase fuel economy because i regularly tow a 10' enclosed trailer. i would definately like a power increase but at this time im looking for effective but inexpensive mods. i'm a new 2nd gen. owner and im trying to get a feel for this great truck!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're looking for an effective and insexpensive mod for more power, better look at something else besides a BHAF. It's a waste of money no matter how cheap you can find it.

Under a tight budget...hands down, the best bang for your performance buck will be a used EZ or VA. They truely are effective.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:51 PM

I liked my BHAF until I looked on the underside and found a rotton spot in it.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:57 PM

wow this thread sure is shying me away from the bhaf, which i JUST ordered yesterday, oh well i'm still getting it, i wanna get rid of that POS k and n filter, they are no good to us CTDs.

what do you mean there was a rotten spot, did you have the outerwears prefilter on it too.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:01 PM

oh and by the way digbog, the link i posted will answer all your questions, if not, well, feel free to shoot.

i would still recommend getting one, especially for the EGT issue and such, just DON'T get k and n. many many, people will agree with me and the EZ, which i have, is great too, i'll give that to him, it makes your truck like night and day.

CLICK HERE
Old 05-23-2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
If you're looking for an effective and insexpensive mod for more power, better look at something else besides a BHAF. It's a waste of money no matter how cheap you can find it.

Under a tight budget...hands down, the best bang for your performance buck will be a used EZ or VA. They truely are effective.
I dissagree,I put a napa bhaf in my 12v and I gained 2mpg over a k and n with the bottom of the box cut out,and I still havnt built a shield for it.For 50 bucks or whatever,it is a great deal.A used vanaken box is a great deal as well,but you need an intake nonetheless,and a 50 dollar bhaf cant be beat.As far as a smoother tube you could fab one out of exhaust pipe I guess.the napa part number for the bhaf is 2790.I also put one in my 01 but I did it immediately when I bought the truck so I couldn't honestly tell you the results,but I run a stock hardlined hy 22 psi with a tapped drag comp,the bhaf and 5 inch exhaust and my egts are never even in the yellow at all under a thick cloud.They are usually 1000 at most
Old 05-24-2006, 12:36 AM

Go to www.fleetfilter.com and they have them for under $30. For the Wix brand filter it will be part # 42790. I like my BHAF because its paper so it filters well and there is so much surface area on it that its gonna flow a lot of air. It will make your turbo sing and you should see a difference in EGT's and MPG's. Yeah sure there is better intakes out there, but for the price its hard to beat. I hear good things about the Scotty II, but you will pay alot more for it. Just my $ .02.

Also, I would recommend getting some of that flexible plastic tubing that they usually have around battery cables and other electrical wires to put around your A/C lines. That BHAF will sit right on top of them and over time from the vibration from the engine and road, it could possibly wear a hole in one of them. I ran mine for a month without the tubing and I seen where it had marked up that A/C line.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:24 AM

Is the CTD well designed? The same engineers who designed the engine also designed the air filter. Do you honestly think they would leave 2 m/gal on the table with a badly designed air intake system? Lets be realistic about claims.

Increased filter area, or not, the BHAF dosen't flow any better than the stocker. Some brands flow less. It may filter a little better.

No one has ever shown it increases power in a controlled dyno test. If it doesn't show more power on the dyno how can you ever see it or feel it on the street.

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain how it reduces egts while it's using hot underhood air, even with a heat shield.

The only performance problem with the stock 2nd gen air intake is the rubber boot between the fender and air box. It tends to collapse. An effective mod is to remove it completely or strengthen it.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ridiculous
what do you mean there was a rotten spot, did you have the outerwears prefilter on it too.
There was a rust colored spot on the underside about the size of a nickel. I started picking at it and it just started falling apart. My guess is that the water got to it. The heat wasn't helping either. You definently should have an outerwears cover and a heat shield.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:03 AM

This may sound strange......

when I mounted my BHAF, I took the rubber grommet things (there are three) which had been used to hold the stock airbox in place. I then screwed them down over the bolts which held the stock airbox. This protects the bottom of the BHAF and adds about 3/4 inch of clearance so the filter doesn't hit the ac lines. I use plumbers tape to hold the filter in place (steel strap with holes in it) and when I build a heat shield I will probably create a mounting pad so I can ditch the plumbers tape. So far it has worked and there are no wear marks on the filter.

As far as flow goes...I honestly don't know...opinions will vary. My MPG did not change from the Kand N to this so I guess it flows roughly the same. At this point I am looking for good filtration without overwhelming noise, and it does the trick .
Old 05-24-2006, 05:42 PM

Smile

hey bart. being that im fairly new to to these trucks what what is the EZ and VA? still lernin.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:18 PM

Is the CTD well designed? The same engineers who designed the engine also designed the air filter. Do you honestly think they would leave 2 m/gal on the table with a badly designed air intake system? Lets be realistic about claims.

Increased filter area, or not, the BHAF dosen't flow any better than the stocker. Some brands flow less. It may filter a little better.

No one has ever shown it increases power in a controlled dyno test. If it doesn't show more power on the dyno how can you ever see it or feel it on the street.

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain how it reduces egts while it's using hot underhood air, even with a heat shield.

The only performance problem with the stock 2nd gen air intake is the rubber boot between the fender and air box. It tends to collapse. An effective mod is to remove it completely or strengthen it.
How do you figure that the stock airbox flows just as much air as the BHAF? Also how do you figure that surface area of the filter doesn't matter? It's like trying to suck air through a coffee stirrer vs. a regular straw, no comparison. Maybe you can't tell a whole lot of a difference, but Im sure there is a slight power gain. It still makes your turbo louder which most guys like to hear. And it's cheap. You can't hardly go wrong with a good Wix paper filter, that does a good job filtering, low maintenance, will flow more air than a stocker, makes your turbo sing, and its $30 bucks. I don't see how it could hurt the engine anyway so I don't know what the big fuss is about. Im happy with mine like most everyone else.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 01smoker
How do you figure that the stock airbox flows just as much air as the BHAF? Also how do you figure that surface area of the filter doesn't matter? It's like trying to suck air through a coffee stirrer vs. a regular straw, no comparison. Maybe you can't tell a whole lot of a difference, but Im sure there is a slight power gain. It still makes your turbo louder which most guys like to hear. And it's cheap. You can't hardly go wrong with a good Wix paper filter, that does a good job filtering, low maintenance, will flow more air than a stocker, makes your turbo sing, and its $30 bucks. I don't see how it could hurt the engine anyway so I don't know what the big fuss is about. Im happy with mine like most everyone else.
amen smoker, amen!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 PM

Pretty simple really, More air= more complete combustion= reduced EGT's.The small difference of intake air temperature between the stock filter pulling from the fender and the BHAF pulling from the engine compartment is made up by the increased flow from the larger less restrictive filter. Unless its a drastic change, intake air temperature doesn't seem to have a HUGE effect on EGT,I think its more air quanity. Plus, there is a reason they put innercoolers on these trucks, to cool the air! The Scotty is such a cool deal that it DOES suck in actual cool air and large amounts of it, so in situations like this I think air temp does play a factor. That being said, I did notice a EGT reduction from the BHAF. And sure its not the best filter out there, but for the price and its intended use it works great. BTW, the stock intake tube is fine, the ridges are only on the outside so there really is no restriction at that point.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by 01smoker
I don't see how it could hurt the engine anyway so I don't know what the big fuss is about.
I thought the tread was about cheap and effect mods which produce more power and increase economy. The BHAF does niether.

Quick Reply: question about the BHAF