Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Questins about VP44 and FASS...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questins about VP44 and FASS...

I am worried about my vp44. I am fixing to trade my 01 for an 02 and the 02 has about 18k miles of warranty left. I know the vp44 and lift pump go out often in these trucks, and Im wandering, is this FASS system a good idea for a replacement for the stock lp? Does it help the vp44 from going out by less strain on it? Where do I find the FASS system?
I would like to have my vp44 changed out before my warranty runs out, but most dealers in my area are a**holes, and wont change it out unless its bad.
Need some feedback please.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:25 PM

FASS units are sold by many of the members on this site. Plenty of online dealers around as well.

I run a FASS, some like them and others don't. Seems that if you talk about fuel delivery upgrades it turns into a self edit match. Will FASS save your VP-44?? Who knows. When I installed mine, I checked codes and saw the infamous P0216. Truck drove for 13 months with that code before the VP-44 finally went belly up and I think it lasted that long because of the FASS but I have zero evidence.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:51 PM

Of course they wont change it out unless its bad. The Fass is great. It pumps fuel and is very reliable. It is an easy install too.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:10 PM

The only issue with doing a FASS so late into the WNTY is that the damage might have already been done....as in my case...and a few before me. I LOVE MY FASS!!!! I have had it for 2 years now....and NO hiccups....except for a fuel filter leak...which a new filter fixed. I did have to do brushes the first week that i had it....but since then....no issues. I feel that the FASS fills a big gap where Cummins/Dodge left out. This unit gives Volume and pressure to the pump and makes it hard for the pump to die because of lack of fuel pressure. Does it prevent the pump from dying.....prob not...does it extend the life of the pump....i would lay money down on it! PLUS my truck noticably idled smoother and responsiveness went up. VERY well thought out kit and installes very smoothly....
Old 02-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Banned

IMHO-
The FASS is a great system, but things like this are never tested in a controlled eniroment. Some BOMB their trucks, and their Carter pupms live, some kill them on stockers... But you don't hear about many people with a FASS buying VP-44s, so they sure seem to help the fuel delivery shortcomings...

But I didn't have a FASS on mine. I wanted a FASSII when my next LP went out, but the truck disapeared...
Old 02-17-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by simadownow6988
I am worried about my vp44. I am fixing to trade my 01 for an 02 and the 02 has about 18k miles of warranty left. I know the vp44 and lift pump go out often in these trucks, and Im wandering, is this FASS system a good idea for a replacement for the stock lp? Does it help the vp44 from going out by less strain on it? Where do I find the FASS system?
I would like to have my vp44 changed out before my warranty runs out, but most dealers in my area are a**holes, and wont change it out unless its bad.
Need some feedback please.

Mine might go out today but least I know it isn't from lack of fuel.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:41 PM

I was talking to a guy I work with with and he traded his 02 in for an 06. with the 02 he stopped by a dealership and had them check the Vp, and they said that the pressure wasn't at what it was supposed to be. They were going to change it right then and there. So that kind of told me if the Vp is not up to par then they will change it.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:54 PM

If you still got time to go on the warranty you might want to hold off on the FASS, because if your luck is anything like mine you will put the FASS on, and then the next day the vp44 well roll over on you, and when you take it back to the dodge dealer they will tell you the problem was with the FASS and void the warranty
Old 02-17-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kman9090
If you still got time to go on the warranty you might want to hold off on the FASS, because if your luck is anything like mine you will put the FASS on, and then the next day the vp44 well roll over on you, and when you take it back to the dodge dealer they will tell you the problem was with the FASS and void the warranty
Unless you have got one cool dealer. There out there............
Old 02-17-2006, 09:20 PM

The dealers I've dealt with are fine with the FASS.... just not the other things I've done to my truck...

then again, same dealers question the BHAF I have.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:04 PM
The Guru

I've lost one VP on my Fass. I ran it for 2 years and about 80000miles. The electronic did me in. A new pump works way way better than the old one did. I find that the VP gets weak and the throttle response and power isn't there. I want my truck to run as hard as possible and I can live with replacing the pump out every two to three years. By that time I have a new truck and I just use this one to have fun with.