Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Quadzilla Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:52 PM
PRG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quadzilla Shudder

I have a Quadzilla XZT + installed on my 2002 Cummins 5.9 and have been experiencing what I can best describe as a shudder when the throttle is lightly loaded. I have a new lift pump, new Blue Chip VP44, new fuel filter, Quadzilla Monster Air Intake and 92000 miles. Other than the shudder it runs fine, getting 21 mpg (hand calculated). Push the throttle down and it performs great, no abnormalities. When I switch the module off the shudder goes away but then so does the 65+ extra HP. I've tried downloading varoius programs from their website but can't seem to lose it. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, what did you do to resolve it?
Old 10-28-2008, 02:34 PM

Do you have an auto or manual transmission?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 PM
PRG

Automatic transmission. I called your tech line and they told me to download the 1000 version. It still does the same as 2000 and the Comp 2000. Any ideas??
Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 PM

Send me your email address.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:40 PM

torque converter is goin in and out of lock up cant hold the power of the module maybe?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:17 PM

Don't know, I sent him an update last week and never heard a word back from him?????

Your guess is as good as mine at this point. You would at least think he could give me a + or - or something??
Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 PM

Hey mine was doing the same thing. I called dave at gorends and he told me it could possibly be elect noise. So he sent me a noise filter and I havn't had the shudder since I installed it. I am running the beta tune that the majority of people are running.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:17 AM

He is probably talking about during light throttle and right after the TC Locks Up. My truck will do the same if I am very light on the throttle, just putting along, holding steady around initial lock up speed. If I accelerate harder, or speed up a bit then my surge is gone.

He'll feel it when he is in the fueling/timing mode, if it turns the switch to timing or off it'll go away (explaining from my experience) Personally I think it's just because of the stock TC being finicky about the added HP.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:08 AM

wyattearp, can you post more info on the noise filter?

As far as, TC lockup, I would not completely dismiss the shudder to this. I have a manual tranny and I feel the shudder on every tune I've tried. I just had to play around and find the tune that shuddered the least and live with it.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:11 AM
PRG

[QUOTE=qzilla;2267027]Don't know, I sent him an update last week and never heard a word back from him?????

Your guess is as good as mine at this point. You would at least think he could give me a + or - or something??
QUOTE]

Actually, I just had the chance to load it and try it out on a 350 mile trip. The shudder is still there in both the fuel and fuel/timing modes, although somewhat reduced. I noticed that your web site updates had a new 1000 code stating it would eliminate the shudder/surge on both automatic and manual transmission equiped trucks. I loaded that one and the performance was the same. I suspect that it may be the same code you sent to me?

I'll continue to run the XZT+ but certainly would like to have this issue resolved if possible. Your Monster Air Intake and Recon Gage are great, now if the XZT+ can match their level, I'll be completely satisfied.

Thanks for sending me the updated code.

Cheers.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 PM

You sure its the box? The tune I sent you has PL01 turned off.

Basically I turned all the timing off just to see if that was it or not. The problem is that on PL01, the box does nadda.

I could still possibly understand it having an issue in the fueling/timing mode but, I cannot understand it still having it in the middle setting.

Is your truck an auto or a manual?

The XZT+1000 tunes are the same as they have always been but, now we made it to where you have to meet a minimum TPS% in order for it to start working. This eliminated the shudder or whatever it is at light throttle.

Also, the new 1000 tune is 100% identical to the PL01 and PL02 on the Adrenaline now. There is zero difference.

I guess I could take what I sent you and turn the TPS% up even further as you original described it as a light throttle problem. The last tune I sent would not do anything until you were at 30%. I could move that to 40% or whatever but, I am thinking if we have to start doing that it might be something else?
Old 11-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Sorry it has taken so long to reply about the noise filter. Dave at goerends sent me a filter. It is a little black box with two wires comming out of it. I tied one of the wires to a wire comming of the pcm plug and the other one went to ground. So far so good.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:34 PM

I too have this same problem, I'm 99% sure its not a t/c lock up problem (I also have a aftermarket t/c). Seems fuel related to me. I didn't see any improvement when this was being looked at before so i was just living with it. Seems to do it less with the less agressive tunes, problem is, I like the more agressive tunes ( I think I have the older 3000 tune in now)

quad let me know if you want to try some stuff on mine. if so i can pm you.
Its a '98 auto. shift kit and aftermarket converter. 4" turbo down and rv275's
Old 11-17-2008, 12:23 AM

I am going to be working on the CAN Fueling and Timing stuff, so I will have some new tunes up on the BETA site, probably sometime tomorrow afternoon.

I am not sure what it is, or isn't as it seems most of these reports are coming in here lately. For a long time I never heard anything. It is probably the cooler weather and it probably has to do with timing. This is pretty common with these trucks when the temps get cooler.

I will see if I can compensate for that.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:21 PM

http://69.56.157.126/products/index....B-Updates-Beta

Try the XZT+_Beta1 file and let me know if it is better or worse. All in all this tuning will get rid of the surge, I just don't know if I have it too aggressive right now. On our truck it is awesome but, so were the last versions. It seems the autos are worse for some reason?

Anyhow, give me some feedback and we will move forward from there.

Quick Reply: Quadzilla Shudder