Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

quadzilla

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it possible to have adjustable timing with values known to the user?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It might be possible but, the problem is how it is read off of the data BUS. I would have to play with it and see if can come up with some sort of easy way to display that. It would have to be displayed on the Commander and not on the control pod though. We are 100% out of room and options on the control pod.

Quad
Old 02-28-2007, 09:05 PM

Hey Q is thee any way you can get us a real time frame on this thing. I am excited.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:54 PM

Well, I can say that I have them running on our trucks!!!

Ok, that was not much help. Beta testing is probably 3-4 weeks out or so.....
Basically it depends on how long it takes us to get the beta units built. Everything else with the control pod is done.

After that it depends on whether or not we have any issues pop up. If all goes smooth figure 8-10 weeks to production?

The Commander will probably take another 4 additional weeks or so.....

The beta testers will get first chance to beta this version of the Commander so it all depends on how that goes too.

Sorry there is no real time table but, these things are a little hard to know for certain. If we get one stupid part on the board back ordered or some silly delay in producing the boards it turns into a mess and is hard to predict.

As far as it working, it works and works well. Now we just need to get it on 50-100 trucks or so and see how it does.

Quad
Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Well, I can say that I have them running on our trucks!!!

Ok, that was not much help. Beta testing is probably 3-4 weeks out or so.....
Basically it depends on how long it takes us to get the beta units built. Everything else with the control pod is done.

After that it depends on whether or not we have any issues pop up. If all goes smooth figure 8-10 weeks to production?

The Commander will probably take another 4 additional weeks or so.....

The beta testers will get first chance to beta this version of the Commander so it all depends on how that goes too.

Sorry there is no real time table but, these things are a little hard to know for certain. If we get one stupid part on the board back ordered or some silly delay in producing the boards it turns into a mess and is hard to predict.

As far as it working, it works and works well. Now we just need to get it on 50-100 trucks or so and see how it does.

Quad
i want to be a beta tester.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM

me too beta tester beta tester
Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Muted User

i signed up for beta testing
Old 03-01-2007, 11:52 AM

Here is my wish list, for a true drag race box, for what it's worth....

1. Adjustable timing. This is not as easy as it sounds of course, because the ECM modifies the timing based on fueling as well as what the "box" does. For example, if the ECM sees that there is to much fueling, then it will try to cut the fuel back (even though the box has taken over control of the fuel solenoid). Under most conditions when the ECM reduces fuel it also advances timing. So even on a fuel only box, the timing does get advanced, just not by the box. It would be great to be able to set the total amount of advance that gets applied. Both by the box and by the ECM.

2. Fuel control. I would like to be able to control the amount of duty cycle that the solenoid is held closed. 1% at a time, up to a max of 100% (not recommended for street use, 60% max for street use)

3. Rate of fueling increase. This would really only be used right after launch. The amount of fuel could be reduced to reduce smoke on the launch, as well as reduce power for low traction situations. I race at some tracks that even if I leave at 12psi of boost, I'll spin all four tires right after the launch because the boost comes up so fast.

4. A staging control. I would like to be able to have a button (like a trans brake), and put the box into a staging mode. For example when the button is pushed, the box would take control of the fueling, and I could hold the throttle pedal to the floor, with no effect. The box would "ramp up" the fuel at a predetermined rate, and to a predetermined boost, and hold it there, until the button is released. It would be kind of like a two step on a gas car.

5. Full fueling to 3400rpm. It would also be nice to be able to start the defuel lower then that if necessary. Kind of like a soft touch rev limiter.

I know that it's not cost effect to add all of these to a box. And it reality most people wouldn't use most of them. For me, it's a different story. I have over 1000 1/4 mile passes on my truck. My truck is a daily driver, and I do drive it to and from the race tracks, so driveability is also important.

I would also be willing to help with the development of the box, and of course beta test it. I still have a month or so before the race season gets into full swing, so I do have some time yet for testing.

Thanks, Paul
Old 03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Chapter President

I like the idea of the staging control!
Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by paulb
Here is my wish list, for a true drag race box, for what it's worth....

1. Adjustable timing. This is not as easy as it sounds of course, because the ECM modifies the timing based on fueling as well as what the "box" does. For example, if the ECM sees that there is to much fueling, then it will try to cut the fuel back (even though the box has taken over control of the fuel solenoid). Under most conditions when the ECM reduces fuel it also advances timing. So even on a fuel only box, the timing does get advanced, just not by the box. It would be great to be able to set the total amount of advance that gets applied. Both by the box and by the ECM.

2. Fuel control. I would like to be able to control the amount of duty cycle that the solenoid is held closed. 1% at a time, up to a max of 100% (not recommended for street use, 60% max for street use)

3. Rate of fueling increase. This would really only be used right after launch. The amount of fuel could be reduced to reduce smoke on the launch, as well as reduce power for low traction situations. I race at some tracks that even if I leave at 12psi of boost, I'll spin all four tires right after the launch because the boost comes up so fast.

4. A staging control. I would like to be able to have a button (like a trans brake), and put the box into a staging mode. For example when the button is pushed, the box would take control of the fueling, and I could hold the throttle pedal to the floor, with no effect. The box would "ramp up" the fuel at a predetermined rate, and to a predetermined boost, and hold it there, until the button is released. It would be kind of like a two step on a gas car.

5. Full fueling to 3400rpm. It would also be nice to be able to start the defuel lower then that if necessary. Kind of like a soft touch rev limiter.

I know that it's not cost effect to add all of these to a box. And it reality most people wouldn't use most of them. For me, it's a different story. I have over 1000 1/4 mile passes on my truck. My truck is a daily driver, and I do drive it to and from the race tracks, so driveability is also important.

I would also be willing to help with the development of the box, and of course beta test it. I still have a month or so before the race season gets into full swing, so I do have some time yet for testing.

Thanks, Paul

Everything but #4 has been addressed. I cannot tell you how but, in due time you will have all of those things. It will not be available for a little while after the original hardware release but, all units will be able to upgrade to handle these options without sending them in.

That is really all I can say at this point.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:12 PM

Sounds good. Thanks!

Paul
Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 PM

I would love to be as beta tester, seeing how I need a new box and have been looking at the 120 hp version
Old 03-02-2007, 08:13 PM

where abouts in ct are you
Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 PM

Im about 20 miles or so north of Hartford, you know the area?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:14 PM

yes i grew up in manchester and own a hardwood flooring co there fo 15 years. i also have a buddy that lives in broad brook he has 2 dodges

Quick Reply: quadzilla