Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

quadxilla adrenaline

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quadxilla adrenaline

dont ride me to much for not reading all the previous posts on the topic, im kinda pressed for time

the main think i want to know is how hard it is on the pump. i have about 100k on this vp, with holley blue and 1/2 lines never saw below 12psi(dirty filter)

i dont like the idea of the wire tap, i know the edge comp has killed a lot of vp's and it is siad that the wire tap is to blame. i cant afford to replace the vp to

how does the controler work, i dont want the moniter i have guagues, will the cool down timer and high idle work through the read out. basicly any and all info is helpfull and id like to hear first hand experaces too.....

the only electronical stuff im running is a power puck and different ecm. plan to take the puck off when i get the qud.

thanks
DKG
Old 05-08-2008, 12:20 PM

If you're not interested in the gauges, or tapping the wire, then it probably isn't for you.

Is it heard on the IP? Sure. Then again, so is low fuel pressure and really warm days. Lots of things can be attributed to a VP going bad, but I wouldn't blame it directly on a chip, Anyone who does is merely looking for a scape goat...

The turbo timer will work because it has a 3 minute timer (depending on which tune you choose), and the high idle will work because it will still know the temp. if your coolant. Defueling won't work without EGT's fed into the module.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:12 PM

i was acculy talking to the one guy i know of in town that rebuilds vp44s yesterday about the same thing. i have about 130,000 on my truck and dont know if the vp has ever been changed. we think it has cuz of a missing nut and the fact that he sees most go out before 130k but knows a few to have lasted up to 180k. ok hears what he told me, ANY chip that adds more fuel makes the pump work harder and will wear it out a little faster. injectors seem to help make it last longer. biggest factor he knows of is the lp. second he says is just luck of the draw. some vps do better then otheres and you just got to hope that yours is one of those.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 PM

o and he doesnt like the wire tap not cuz it works the pump harder but because it makes the wire open for corotion.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 PM

Ok, FACT, we are not working the pump harder. There is NO extra voltage or current being run through the solenoid in the pump.

This is not just us, this is EVERY SINGLE wire tap box out there.

In simplified terms there is a solenoid that opens and closes as it rotates between lines that feed the cylinders. What happens is that as these solenoids wear (they are a mechanical part) they physically have a harder time opening and closing. That is why when a pump is going bad, the performance will drop off.

Now, what kills them typically is lack of lubrication and overheating them from the lack of lubrication. This is where you could argue that a pump wire box could hurt a pump but, it is just because you are using more fuel than the pump has to supply and there is no return for cooling and lubrication.

Now, there are just some pumps that die. Sometimes it is just the electronics in them, sometimes a single small part just fails and it no longer can function.

The reason more people see bad pumps in general, or why is seems like they see more bad pumps is because they are typically running their trucks considerably harder than when it was stock. A weak pump is much easier to notice when you add performance parts than it is on a stock truck.

Not too many people with stock trucks go out and hammer on it all the time (not that is is bad to go hammer on it).

I don't want to argue over this stuff but, it does need to be known that the ONLY thing a wiretap box does (other than one or two specialty boxes) simply keeps the solenoid open or closed for a longer period of time so it can flow more fuel. No extra voltage, no extra current, no doule pulsing etc.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 AM

QUAD...when is the adr/pusle combo going to be shipping out?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dieselguy71
QUAD...when is the adr/pusle combo going to be shipping out?
I just got mine today!!!!!!!!
But it was missing the fuel pressure sender?
Quad what's the story on that? was it just mistakenly not put in? I think i read that there were issues with them in the Beta testing.
Can't wait to get home today and put it on!!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 AM

Only the very first run came with a sending unit. We have a supplier problem so we knocked the price down $50 and they do not come with a sending unit at this time.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:36 AM

QUAD...can you tell me when your suppliers will be shipping these units PLEASE. thanks
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
I just got mine today!!!!!!!!
But it was missing the fuel pressure sender?
Quad what's the story on that? was it just mistakenly not put in? I think i read that there were issues with them in the Beta testing.
Can't wait to get home today and put it on!!

How long ago did you order it? And who from if you don't mind me asking..thanks.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 AM

QUAD...can you tell me when your suppliers will be shipping these units PLEASE. thanks
That is the same question I have been asking since December.

we hope to have a solution soon but, the problem is that I do not have the capabilities of making my own so I am stuck relying on someone else at this point.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 AM

Thats not really an answer...ppl are relying on you to get them a product..as in my case like tons of others..I preordered it and was told 3-4 weeks..it has been way past that..and on your website home page it says the pulse combo shipping may 5th...so..whats the real story? Are the shipping yet or not?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:38 AM

they shiped to distributers may 5th, iv been told by the site i bought from id be getting mine sometime next week. but this is the first iv heard of not being able to read fuel pressure? i just went back and read the discription and it still says that it comes with everything you need to read fuel pressure, if it doesnt shouldnt you change that? are we going to get those when u do?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Thats not really an answer...ppl are relying on you to get them a product..as in my case like tons of others..I preordered it and was told 3-4 weeks..it has been way past that..and on your website home page it says the pulse combo shipping may 5th...so..whats the real story? Are the shipping yet or not?
That is really an answer. He doesnt know, he's obviously getting the run around from the supplier he was using, so he's finding a solution to the problem. You pre-ordered it before a release date was set so thats not quads fault that whoever you bought it from gave you a date when there is a good chance they didnt know when they were getting them. And the Real deal is that the pulse combo did ship to the suppliers on the 5th. You didnt buy it direct from quadzilla so it takes time to get from quad to the distributors then to the dealers. So get off his back. he's doin the best he can.

The pulse will still be able to read fuel pressure, he is just havin issues getting the sending unit.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM

the problem is that without the sending unit it really cant read fp. i spent the extra money so i could have the nice readout to replace ALL my gages. im just asking whats being done? are we going to get the sending units? am i going to have to shell out more for it? whats the deal? mostly how long do i have to do without?

Quick Reply: quadxilla adrenaline