Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Quad XZT+ installed; Now no oil psi?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Quad XZT+ installed; Now no oil psi?

Just installed my quad XZT+ onto my truck. It works awesome, love the extra power, especially in the 65hp setting. It works awesome with my 120hp Xzillaraider. Anyway in the "off" setting my oil pressure guage drops to 0, my check guages light comes on(of course), and my check engine light comes on; also in the off setting my truck runs like it has absolutely NO power, no smoke out of the stacks no matter how hard I stomp the pedal. I called quad and talked with one of the tech guys. He said to try another tune. So I loaded up the 1003 tune. Same thing. I loaded the 1006 tune. Still the same. So now I am asking on here. Has anyone had this problem? I have tried searching the site, but I came up with nothing. This problem is really annoying me to no end. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
Thanks,
Tommy
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Something isn't installed correctly. Double check all your connections and make sure everything is plugged back in. I would also recommend soldering the wire connections, use liquid tape/heat shrink and not use the scotch lock connectors as they can come apart; then reload the software and try again.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive never had any trouble out of mine with the 3000 tune. If you unplug the xzt and and unplug the batteries to reset everything does your oil pressure gauge still not work?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 PM

There are no scotchlock connectors. I have double, triple & quadruple checked the connection to the data link, and the map. The box works. That is not the problem. When it is in the "off" setting, it runs at half power, and the oil pressure guage drops to 0. Going down the road I can switch it from timing only to off and the guage will drop in like 2 seconds. If I flip it from off to timing only, the guage comes back up in like 2 seconds also. I have not tried disonnecting the batteries yet, but I don't think that will solve anything. If I unhook the XZT+ from the data link connector, the problem(as well as the benefits) disappear. I love the box, but it is starting to get cold up here now, and one of the big reasons why I bought it was for the high idle feature. But since the high idle only works in the off setting, it doesn't work on mine! Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:46 PM

It sounds like maybe a power issue...check the fuse box connections while the truck is running and move them around while watching the xzt and the oil psi gauge.
OR
It may just be coinsidence that your oil sender is going bad and/or loose connection to it after installing the xzt, check the wire to it also. Still sounds like a loose wire or short to me.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM

i think you have a internal short inside the xzt box or one if its connectors. Try another xzt+.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:35 PM

I am trying to figure out what exactly would cause this. I know we get Oil Psi data off of the bus but, I cannot figure out why it would be there or not based on power level?

That is really, really strange?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The high idle will engage when the truck is warming up with the switch in any position with the xzt+_2005 tune.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:02 PM

check the fuse box connections
The XZT+ doesn't have a fuse box connection. It has a data link connection, and a map sensor connection.

It may just be coinsidence that your oil sender is going bad and/or loose connection to it after installing the xzt
I don't buy that, seeing how the oil guage ONLY goes to zero when I flip the xzt+ to the off position. When I flip it to anything BUT off, it works as usual. And the wiring harness is BRAND NEW.

I do realize that the guage is just a dummy guage. Meaning that the ECM tells the guage where to move to based on the oil pressure switch. Someone at work also told me that the oil pressure guage reading is communicated along the data link. I have no idea why the box would cause this but like I said, it is really getting annoying. I really like the box, like I said, but I would like it to work as it is supposed to. I guess I will download the 2005 tune so I can have the high idle feature. Quad, if you have any input, or have ANY questions for me, I will GLADLY answer them.
Thanks everyone so far,
Tommy
Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 AM

I'm guessing you didn't have this issue prior to the xzt+ install.
Disconnect the xzt returning it back to stock and see if the problem continues. If so, then it's not w/the box and start checking things then. If all is ok, then yea, I'd contact Quad and return it.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:44 PM

I'm guessing you didn't have this issue prior to the xzt+ install
If I unhook the XZT+ from the data link connector, the problem disappear.
Do people not read posts before posting? I'm gonna put the 2005 tune into it tonight, so at least I'll have the high idle feature. Nobody has any ideas?
Thanks,
Tommy
Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 PM

Well I put the 2005 tune into it last night. It says the high idle feature will work regardless of switch position. Well, mine doesn't. Wow, the main reason I bought the box for doesn't even work. Anyone else ever have this problem??? ANYONE??? BUELLER??
Tommy
Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 PM

That is not exactly what it says. It says:
High Idle will engage any time the vehicles is in warm up after 2 minutes of continuous idle regardless of switch position
Then it says:

High Idle will only engage in the OFF setting once engine has reached 170 deg Coolant Temperature

Now, if it is not working properly knowing how it is supposed to work then that is a problem.

I have no idea what your other issue is and not only have I never worked on that issue before, this is the first time I have ever heard of such.

With that said, you are probably better off to send it in to see if there is actually a problem with the box as that is the only thing I can think of but, I really don't see how that is possible if the truck seems to perform correctly with the different switch settings and makes power. The boost circuit is obviously working or you would be getting codes, the CAN fueling is working, the timing is working.

Maybe something is wrong with the bus? Maybe the box is not able to connect to the bus? That might explain why you have some problems with warmup mode??

I mean really with you having the truck and box in IN and me being here, it is a total crapshoot and wild guesses??

I really think if you want it to go away it has to come to us and most likely get replaced, just in case.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 AM

Sometimes you have to go back to the basics to identify your problem. Many of the issues come from connection problems as several others have found out.