Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

quad std smoked wires set code truck died.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy quad std smoked wires set code truck died.

Well tonight sucked. Truck started, then started to miss, then died. Set CEL light. Popped the hood, nice smoke from wire loom that the quad came with. I pulled the fuse on the chip and the commander (wasn't sure which was which). Anyhow the green wire that goes to the IP has a resistor in it that is right at the firewall on my truck it melted the loom and was smoking. I unhooked the wire taps and the plug for the map sensor, putting it all back to stock, now it runs set a p1693 code. Cleared the code, it hasn't set anymore codes tonight. I checked all the loom and pulled the wires, no skinned wires nothing grounded out. I hooked everything back up, started and ran fine, chip works fine all three levels. The resistor is not getting hot, I only left it on for about 15 min. Now it is all back to stock, I'm scared of the chip now. HELP!!

P.S. isnt the p1693 one of the bad codes for IP? This IP only has about 2000 miles on it I hope this chip didn't smoke the dang thing.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:08 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
read up this is a real common problem
Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Ive been searching all night lots of stuff on 3rd gen problems, I can't find the exact thing that mine did though 2nd gen. I'll keep looking, but if anyone knows help out please.

Jeromy
Old 10-03-2008, 02:34 AM

Sounds like this is an old Xzillaraider box?

You may have inadvertantly fixed the issue. If the fuse tap or fuse tap connection gets loose it can cause some current problems across the power resistor basically putting a heavy load on it and causing the current to spike. This makes that resistor get hot.

When you unplugged and re-plugged the fuse tap it could have fixed it.

Should make no difference to the pump, 1693 is the companion code I believe and not the pump code.

The other thing you need to check is how old the module is. There is some newer software that detects this issue and it will turn itself off to keep this from happening. If it happens again with this update the module may not work until you fix the fuse tap or the issue but, it won't sit there and let itself get hot.

By the sounds of it maybe the good ol Cummins shake when you kill the engine loosened the tap. Then the next time you start it you have this issue.

Find out when you bought it, get the serial # and call tech support tomorrow. Get jeremy tell him your issue and that I said there is likely an update and get it in to us.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:35 AM

K thanks Quad, it is a Xzillaraider I'll get ahold of Jeremy today.

Jer
Old 10-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Called Quadzilla Perf. Jeremy took care of me. Excellent service as always, my chip is off to see the doctor.... All I can say is I've had in installed for a year and a half set to number 3 and it has only had one hiccup.

Not to bad!

Jeromy