Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

quad, smarty, or what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quad, smarty, or what?

guys ive done a lot of searching and still am undecided.....i found someone who i think is going to buy my hypertech. i am lookin to upgrade to something different. not necessarily wanting to pierce the wire asi dont have the money to replace a vp right now.....i was looking at the quad xzt+ or the smarty, or anything that ya'll recammend....any help is appreciated! thanks alot
hunter
Old 08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the Smarty then you can stack it later.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:01 PM

will my stock clutch be alright with the smarty?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by motochamp250
will my stock clutch be alright with the smarty?
Smarty only adds 65 hp on the 2nd gen trucks, your clutch will be just fine with it. It does make a good stack with the comp for sure.
mishkaya
Old 08-30-2008, 07:34 PM

ya i was thinkin the smarty because i like the low end power for my 6speed......i was closely considering the xzt+ and was going to ask ya'll what ya'll would recommend...thanks for the replies so far!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
money back guarantee too. thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 11:11 PM

hey bob, if i bought a smarty could i get it already loaded with the new revo or would i just have to update it when i get it.....also, if i have the revo, can i still just run the smarty default programs if i dont feel like adjusting at the time? Thanks in advance!
Hunter
Old 08-31-2008, 08:58 AM

You will be fine with the stock clutch and the Smarty. If you tow, turn the Smarty down (I tow on 3, but put it to 7 when not towing). If you leave it on 7, pull a trailer and lug the engine in 6th gear up a hill, you will slip the clutch, don't ask, but unfortunately, that is from experience . I drove for a year and a half with the stock clutch after that, and finally I ended up with a SBC CON-OFE out of it

EDIT: When my clutch spun, the M1.6 injectors were in the truck also.

~Rob
Old 08-31-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by motochamp250
hey bob, if i bought a smarty could i get it already loaded with the new revo or would i just have to update it when i get it.....also, if i have the revo, can i still just run the smarty default programs if i dont feel like adjusting at the time? Thanks in advance!
Hunter

Yes Revo just let me know
Old 08-31-2008, 11:08 AM

There's a TNT tune for 2nd gens?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by hotdram
You will be fine with the stock clutch and the Smarty. If you tow, turn the Smarty down (I tow on 3, but put it to 7 when not towing). If you leave it on 7, pull a trailer and lug the engine in 6th gear up a hill, you will slip the clutch, don't ask, but unfortunately, that is from experience . I drove for a year and a half with the stock clutch after that, and finally I ended up with a SBC CON-OFE out of it

EDIT: When my clutch spun, the M1.6 injectors were in the truck also.

~Rob
How do you like the Smarty + M 1.6 combo Rob? I'm thinking along those lines myself. How are your EGTs?

Randy.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:34 PM

Smarty all the way...... When I first tried a Smarty, I wasnt that impressed and made a "snide" post about my intial thoughts. I ended up buying one and its WAYYYYYYYY more than something that just makes your truck run faster. It stacks, it fuels VERY smoothly yet aggresively, it gets great fuel mileage, holds its value, etc. It will not slip your clutch just regular driving but if you hook on to a good load and try to leave with the least bit of throttle (ie. intentionally slip the clutch some from trying to take off hard) you will SMOKE that clutch. It fuels like crazy on the bottom end!!! You will love it.

ps. if you get one, drive it 3 days before you ever post up about your opinion. The more you drive with it, the more your gonna like it.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:31 PM

be different, if u dont want to tap the wire, get the new ts mvp box.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:54 PM

it says on ts's website that it can give up to 100 horses....without tapping the wire?! did i read that right? or is it like everything else, if you dont tap the wire it still gives the 60-65?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Western Rammer
How do you like the Smarty + M 1.6 combo Rob? I'm thinking along those lines myself. How are your EGTs?

Randy.
In short: Awesome setup

Long version: Most of my driving (99%) is without a trailer, so I put the Smarty on 7 (TM=3, Timing=3, Duration=5) for daily driving. Very streetable, and the Smarty with the M1.6's provides just the right "punch" to wake the truck up.
For my recreational towing, I am usually under 5,000 lbs with my gooseneck and ATVs. I am usually on flat terrain. I put the Smarty on 3 (TM=0, Timing=0, Duration=0). Occasionaly we go to SE Oklahoma, where there are a few good grades. I have never had an issue with EGT's with this setup (stock charger). Level 3 (for my weights) seems to be the best for towing. A nice little "pick me up" but nothing too wild.

I couldn't be happier with the combo for my needs.

~Rob

Quick Reply: quad, smarty, or what?