Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Quad Adrenaline Beta Testing....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Truck still surges on PL#2 or higher, below 1800 when holding a speed or under light acceleration. It's very irritating. To be totally fair, I can get a fueling shudder... or surge... from just my injectors, with Adrenaline OFF, if I lug the engine below 1500 rpm! The adrenaline just ups the lower rpm limit at which I can hold a cruise speed
So it does it without the Adrenaline but, if the Adrenaline is installed it is irritating?

I cannot fix something that is already there. How would that be possible?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM

Hey qzilla, I'm shure you get this alot but any idea on a release date?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
So it does it without the Adrenaline but, if the Adrenaline is installed it is irritating?

I think he *might* mean that it's amplifies the issue and puts it in an RPM range where it's more noticeable. More likely than not the adrenaline is just amplifying the issue that the injectors are already having. The adrenaline isn't the only chip I've read about this having, either.

Just go and ask dodgediesel about his issues
Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by qzilla

Trying to be helpful...not antagonistic! Think you misunderstood what I said above.
The key words are ..... surge exists w/o Adrenaline "if I lug the engine"!! I don't drive this way.
With just injectors, I get NO surge above 1500 rpm (which is easy to maintain).

With the Adrenaline on PL02, AND OD locked out, I get a strong surge between 35 and 50 mph.
This is 1500 -1750 rpm on my set up.... and is a frequent driving speed around town.

AND, Just to review, The Smarty never surges, even on #9, on my CTD. This is strange to me because I believe the Smarty fuels harder at low rpm's than the Adrenaline.

I'm sure the 5 sp's & 6 sp's can drive around the fairly narrow surge band more easily than my auto but for me to drive around it, I have to shift through the gears manually.... staying in second gear up to 2200 rpm. Wouldn't this irritate you?

Thought I was not the only one having this problem. If I am, I'll work something out on my own!

RJ
Old 01-22-2008, 11:55 AM

A little off topic but I have surging with any chip, my Smarty and these injectors. This just began recently and I don't know why??? I'm gonna try my old 80 hp DDP's to see if this cures the problem. Who knows, I might have a bad injector too as I've ran her dry 3 times with the Mach 4's and Edge Comp Drag. I changed out all sensors as I thought that they were the cause but it has to be either the injectors or the ECM. The chips just amplify the surge. Very expensive troubleshooting replacing the APPS, MAP and AIT but oh well!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RowJ
Thought I was not the only one having this problem. If I am, I'll work something out on my own!
RJ
I also have the surging problem, and it has happened with every file, even the one that is currently on the web site. It is also with two different Adrenaline boxes. It doesn't happen with my drag comp and/or the Redline box. When I was using the TST Comp, it didn't happen then either. I daily drive with my drag comp on, but the surge keeps me from doing the same with the Adrenaline. I'm just giving this as feedback, so it can be fixed before it's released.

Justin called and wants me to send back this box, wiring harness and monitor, so hopefully this is getting fixed.

Paul
Old 01-22-2008, 01:53 PM

ok...i have been reading and following along with almost everyhting yall have writen and i have ordered my adrenaline...but the guy i got it from sayed that the public wont get ours till mid-feb which sucks...but he said he called the owner of quad and that they wont release them due to it burning up ecms......is this true or was this guy full of crap......
Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 99silverstreet
ok...i have been reading and following along with almost everyhting yall have writen and i have ordered my adrenaline...but the guy i got it from sayed that the public wont get ours till mid-feb which sucks...but he said he called the owner of quad and that they wont release them due to it burning up ecms......is this true or was this guy full of crap......
Full of crap....
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM

He's boozin', check for Jack Daniels behind the counter!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM

I have the surge too so RowJ and Paul B are not the only ones. Looks like it is big injector related as all 3 of us have Mach 6's or 6+'s.

I removed my Smarty programming last week and it got a little better, but it was still there. I did not get a chance to download the new program as I didn't drive it over the weekend and Justin called for mine yesterday. Mine is in the mail today coming back to you guys. I'll check my truck again with this climate (cold and dry) and see what I get with the old combo of Smarty and TST Comp. I did have surging with the TST Comp programming, but it was only above level 3 which has been well documented. I never experienced surging with the standard TST pm3 prior to that or with my standard Edge Comp.

Quad, maybe there is a happy medium of some lower daily driving and fuel economy settings for the big injector guys and then maybe 7-10 being all out "kill" for the track and dyno? I don't know if you have a way of combining some daily driving, fuel economy and competition performance all in the same tune with just different levels. That would be my wish though instead of having to download different tunes. I certainly could live with that though. Daily driving programs similar to Edge Comp and then download a Competition tune for the track and dyno days.

One thing I'll add is that I kept the Smarty in the mix for it's driveability, but after removing it's programming and driving only on the Adrenaline, the driveability was excellent in settings 1 and 2. Good throttle response and very little surge in those settings.

Looks like maybe the Smarty and the Adrenaline don't stack well together. Maybe they are fighting each other. One of the other main reason's I wanted to keep the Smarty in the mix is for it's ability to change the speedo for tire size.

Oh well, maybe the hardware will be the cure for what's ailing! This is a Beta Test after all and this is what it is all about. Getting the bugs worked out.

The features of this module still have the most promise of any product out there or in developement in my opinion. I'm sure it will get to where we are all expecting it to!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

hmmmm. 3rd gen guys waiting,,,,, waiting,,,,,, waiting.

did i mention we were waiting?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
hmmmm. 3rd gen guys waiting,,,,, waiting,,,,,, waiting.

did i mention we were waiting?
Oh dude, y'all have so many products to choose from. Just close your eyes and pick one. lol

Let the 2nd gen guys have their day......
Old 01-22-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
**UPDATE**

After fixing my rigged juice positap to short wire to Quad scotchlock, I finally have incredible fueling on the upper levels. Did I say incredible! Stock turbo fifth gear break loose at 50 mph... wet pavement doesn't count.

Anyway, egts hit 1300* once, then quickly back to 1250, it is 25*F high temp today. High altitude 4500 ft etc.

Compared to HOT Juice, max boost ever recorded on the Juice was 38 psi. Today with Adrenaline on level 6, it hit 42, does the sensor read any higher?, and bounced between there and 40 till I let off. So on level six of current tune, I can build more boost than the HOT Juice could on it's best day.

You guys with surging, I can't make it happen. I've tried and tried, there is no surge! Except when I lug it at 1000 RPM WOT doing 25mph in 5th gear. But under those conditions the Juice would surge and buck too.

Quad, I do however notice a change in engine pitch around 1800 rpm, with or without the adrenaline. It sounds like timing rattle as if the ecm advances the timing a bunch at 1800 rpm. I have noticed this for years. Maybe this timing advance by the ecm at 1800 is causing this surging of Rowj and others.

Only complaint is that 1/3 of my shutoffs the truck nearly dies then catches itself and goes into tt mode. 2/3 of shutoffs are perfect with no change in idle speed, tone, etc. I can't seem to change it... make it happen more or less, it just does it every third shutdown for some reason. My connections are perfect, I don't know what is causing it. Not a big deal, but something that can still be improved upon. By the way, the surge at shutoff is not as dramatic and bad as the first few tunes, truck only drops 200 rpm before it catches itself, whereas the first tunes would drop 4-500 rpm before catching itself. And I repeat, this only happens about every third shutdown.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, and one more thing, Blue once again smokes like a freight train! Thanks Quad, incredibly smooth box with massive fueling everywhere that is perfectly controlled by the right foot.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Paul,

One of the reasons I am so confused about your truck surging is this:

I downloaded the new update and took it for a test drive. Any power level about PL00 and I get surging (though PL01 is less then the others), and low power. Max boost it would create on any power level was 45psi, and max EGT less then 1000. For comparison with the drag comp on this morning, it made 65psi, and max EGT was about 1300.
It surges, yet it does not fuel? I don't get how it can do that??

I am going to fix this stuff but, there are a couple of trucks that seem to surge if you just stick the box under the hood?

It could be some of the large injectors messing with stuff but, it is really hard to go changing the tuning when there are a lot of trucks that don't have a surge. I know there are 3 or 4 of you that do get a surge but, that is what I do not understand. It also seems that no matter the tuning you get the same exact surge, it never gets better or worse, it is just always the same?

The last file changes a LOT of stuff. I am not saying it is impossible for it to surge but, it is impossible for it to surge like the early files did.

Quick Reply: Quad Adrenaline Beta Testing....