Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Quad Adrenaline Beta Testing....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only gripe I have about the Pulse is the way it's wired. It snaps in and out in a breeze, but harness connector is under the hood where the control pod connects. I think the best way to do it would be a nice short pigtail off the back of the Pulse, that connects to an intermediate connector.

Not only that, but this thing is USB updateable and I gotta unwire it through that stupid grommet if I ever wanna plug it into my computer.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:54 PM

does that pillar replace the stock one, or does it just go over the old one?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 PM

Justin just called me, my Pulse is on the way.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Ok...so here we go.

Not like this is a 'review' thread, but I'm sure some of you are curious. Mine worked great this morning, started showing zero for readings this afternoon, and is working again now. It started to work intermittently showing some outrageously inflated numbers, but all is well now.

My initial impressions are that this thing ROCKS! I wish the plug wasn't under the hood, but rather behind the pillar for easier removal. The buttons are a bit cumbersome to push if you have larger fingers, but are definitely manageable.

Warm up works perfect on the new tunes, can't comment on the old tune as I haven't driven my truck with it yet (wanna see if I can get my turbo timer and high idle functioning again). Those two features are something you can't make work even IF you have the pulse, it's a bug in the software and no way around it as of yet.

It IS usb updateable, though it might be interesting unless you have a laptop. The backlight is a neon bluish green, which goes great with the factory interior lighting. Everything is VERY easy to see in both night and day. It's in a great spot with the optional pillar, doesn't block your view at all.

Installation of the pillar was a bit interesting, as it didn't come with the push pins mentioned in the installation sheet, but I had a few black plastic screws that resemble dry wall screws which were left over from the 97 Talon I had. If you have something like that accessible, it looks very factory (even though my interior is tan). The pillar fit over my factory one great, and with the factory tweeters the Pulse wiring and tweeter wiring dropped into the factory tweeter hole for a clean hidden installation.

The two displays is easy to toggle through with the push of one button. You can display anywheres from 1-4 parameters, but I don't know why you wouldn't just want all 4? The menu's are easy to navigate, and has an optional chime that beeps when you push a button (the first thing I turned off!) Power levels are changed with the push of an up or down button, and is always displayed when you have the gauges showing and not a menu. If I remember right, it also shows you what level you WILL go into once out of warm up, but I won't know for another few hours.

Anyways, that's all for now. If you guys have questions, feel free to ask. The goods are below... First photo is for humor, it's what it started doing before it started functioning normal

Quad, if these should not be posted please let me know

Enjoy!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice! Was told mine was shipped but I'm in Florida so can't say!

Is there a dimmer on the pulse. Pod always bothered me ...too bright at night. Had to mount it so I could not see it when driving!

RJ
Old 03-10-2008, 08:20 PM

It's not quick to get to, but it has a backlight setting. I sorta wish it dimmed when the lights came on.

Also:
This thing needs to turn on when it senses RPM's. Otherwise, it turns on twice anytime you start the truck (if you live in a colder climate like I do).

Now for some issues: The display started acting up again. Hopped in the truck and it was flashing a distorted single gauge (fuel pressure) with the warm-up logo. Never had it on a single gauge? After a few key cycles, the 4 gauges display normally now. Also, every time I start the truck after the monitor goes through it's "Quadzilla Performance" start-up screen, it flashes that single gauge distorted screen again. We'll see what it does tomorrow morning, since I'm done driving for the night.

The other bug I noticed is when you're setting the gauges you want displayed.
e.g. If I set all 8 gauges (4 gauges for each of the two screens) everything is fine and dandy. If I decide I don't like the top left and top right gauges for the second screen and decide to change them, it changes the top left and right gauges for the first screen.

Another request Quad. It's a bit tedious going through the Gauges menu when it resets to top everytime you choose a value. Is it possible to have it go back to the value you had highlighted when it returns to the previous screen? As it is now, everytime you set a value it starts back at the top. By the time you get to the 8th value my pointer finger is cursing me up and down!

Think that's enough to keep you busy?

p.s. Rowland you beat me to it! I'll be in Clearwater on the 26th!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM

Quad, if these should not be posted please let me know
A little late now isn't it??

Anywho, I downloaded the 1015 tune tonite and went for a drive. After it came out of warm-up mode the display stopped flashing and read PL00, I then set it to PL03, as soon as I hit the go pedal the dispaly would start flashing again. Every time I would adjust the PL's it would stop flashing until I gave it throttle and then it would start flashing again. I know, it's no new news, but I just now noticed it.
I'm wunderin if it hasn't been doing this all along and I didn't notice it because I never leave it on the PL display, as you all know, if you have it on EGT display for example, whenever you change the PL, it shows it briefly and then goes back to the EGT display in a few seconds, so it may have been doing this all along. Otherwise, everything works as it should.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 PM

I just talked to Justin today and he will send out a monitor tomorrow with a pillar mount. Oh man, now I got to wait for the big brown truck. The anticipation just might kill me!!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by hink
A little late now isn't it??
He had told me in a private message once before it was OK to post photos, but you never know
Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 PM

mine has been working great up until lately, i have been getting the power loss thing where i have to cycle the power settings to 0 and then back up. should i just wait for the new tunes?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lotero
mine has been working great up until lately, i have been getting the power loss thing where i have to cycle the power settings to 0 and then back up. should i just wait for the new tunes?
Quad gave me a tune to fix that issue, works great now.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 PM

does that pillar replace the stock one, or does it just go over the old one?
It goes over the factory one.

Those two features are something you can't make work even IF you have the pulse, it's a bug in the software and no way around it as of yet.
Just want to clarify this. You can set this and adjust this with the monitor. There is a bug in the current software for the Adrenaline that is not letting the 98-00 trucks use these features. It has nothing to do with the Pulse.

First photo is for humor, it's what it started doing before it started functioning normal
We actually solved this problem this evening. Sort of funny thing and without going into detail until you get a replacement that is supposed to ship on Friday, it is going to work intermittently. We were right at the threshold for a data level and in testing on our vehicle it was never an issue, although as we tested 100 or so of them it started popping up and we discovered it!

So it, has been fixed and you will get a new one shortly. Don't you love getting the first one!

It IS usb updateable, though it might be interesting unless you have a laptop.
I am curious as to how you are going through the firewall? I have no problems popping the connector in and and out? I can get the whole thing in and out of the truck in probably 20 seconds?

This thing needs to turn on when it senses RPM's. Otherwise, it turns on twice anytime you start the truck (if you live in a colder climate like I do).
That is something we can look at.

The other bug I noticed is when you're setting the gauges you want displayed.
e.g. If I set all 8 gauges (4 gauges for each of the two screens) everything is fine and dandy. If I decide I don't like the top left and top right gauges for the second screen and decide to change them, it changes the top left and right gauges for the first screen.
Are you sure you are going to D2 to change the settings?

Another request Quad. It's a bit tedious going through the Gauges menu when it resets to top everytime you choose a value. Is it possible to have it go back to the value you had highlighted when it returns to the previous screen? As it is now, everytime you set a value it starts back at the top. By the time you get to the 8th value my pointer finger is cursing me up and down!
Well, if I changed it I will make you happy and someone else upset. Opinions on how this should work will depend on what order you want to set the display up in. Some people will need to scroll down to the bottom for the first parameter and then if we started back there they will need to scroll back to the top to choose their second one. So while I can see your point, the next guy might be upset if I changed it.

Also, instead of pressing the button just hold it down to scroll it is faster and easier.

Just for the record, pictures are fine. I have no problem with that. I would recommend keeping suggestions and about 1/2 your comments directly to me. This is especially true if you want one of the very first ones.

I know, it's no new news, but I just now noticed it.
I'm wunderin if it hasn't been doing this all along and I didn't notice it because I never leave it on the PL display, as you all know, if you have it on EGT display for example, whenever you change the PL, it shows it briefly and then goes back to the EGT display in a few seconds, so it may have been doing this all along. Otherwise, everything works as it should.
The good news and the new news is that we have that part fixed. It has been doing it all along. The reason it was not fixed to start with us that all the reports we had and what we had been testing was on the warm up mode! Until we fixed it, no one realized that it was doing it on the de-fueling side! The other good news is that it is not de-fueling while it is flashing. We are trying to fix the 2 other issues on the 98-00 trucks and then we can hopefully have an update tomorrow or the next day??

We broke the egt stuff a little preparing for the Pulse! We had to make a slight adjustment so that boost and egt de-fueling could be set at the same time!

Well, technically the tunes on the website solve the issue you are having. The problem is that you have a 2000 truck and if you want a TT or High Idle the new tunes won't let you use them. So if you are not using these features then download a new tune and you are good to go!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:23 AM

thanks quad!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:22 AM

Oh boy, this is might be a bit fuzzy as I just woke up, but I'll do my best.
Originally Posted by qzilla
Just want to clarify this. You can set this and adjust this with the monitor. There is a bug in the current software for the Adrenaline that is not letting the 98-00 trucks use these features. It has nothing to do with the Pulse.
Yes, sorry. That is what I meant, but I guess I didn't explain it quite right.

We actually solved this problem this evening. Sort of funny thing and without going into detail until you get a replacement that is supposed to ship on Friday, it is going to work intermittently. We were right at the threshold for a data level and in testing on our vehicle it was never an issue, although as we tested 100 or so of them it started popping up and we discovered it!
Well at least I'm not crazy

So it, has been fixed and you will get a new one shortly. Don't you love getting the first one!
Sure do! No rush though, as I know others are waiting and bugs are to be expected in the beta phase

I am curious as to how you are going through the firewall? I have no problems popping the connector in and and out? I can get the whole thing in and out of the truck in probably 20 seconds?
The rubber grommet on the left hand side closder to the drivers side and a bit higher than where the steering shaft passes through. It's just a hassle with aftermarket cables also going through. It's not really a problem perse, but if others like me have some 4ga stereo power wire and others, it gets a big crowded in there. I'm more afraid of breaking the connector of than anything, to be honest.

That is something we can look at.
Well, it was nothing major. I just have a habit of noticing little things, and thought I'd throw this one out there. It's really no big deal at all, unless it's somehow an issue for the hardware?

Are you sure you are going to D2 to change the settings?
Yes, positive. I did it a few times tonight to make sure I wasn't completely losing my mind. If I wasn't entirely clear, I might be able to explain it on the phone tomorrow better?

Well, if I changed it I will make you happy and someone else upset. Opinions on how this should work will depend on what order you want to set the display up in. Some people will need to scroll down to the bottom for the first parameter and then if we started back there they will need to scroll back to the top to choose their second one. So while I can see your point, the next guy might be upset if I changed it.
Competely agree, and understand. It's not like I'm gonna toss it in the river because my finger is upset with me. I'll toss the finger instead!

Just for the record, pictures are fine. I have no problem with that. I would recommend keeping suggestions and about 1/2 your comments directly to me. This is especially true if you want one of the very first ones.
I apologize Won't happen again, for sure.

Final thing I want to point out, which may be a moot issue if the feature isn't on, is that the tire size calculation seems as though it isn't working? I scrolled up to 108 (is this 108%?), and it seemed as though the speed didn't change.

Also, for those of you curious. It *appears* as though the older tunes aren't compatible. I tried running one, and it just made goofy screens look even goofier. I don't want to pass bad info though, so to be certain you'll want to check with Quad before you do it yourself.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:59 AM

Final thing I want to point out, which may be a moot issue if the feature isn't on, is that the tire size calculation seems as though it isn't working? I scrolled up to 108 (is this 108%?), and it seemed as though the speed didn't change.
It is not turned on right this second.

Also, for those of you curious. It *appears* as though the older tunes aren't compatible. I tried running one, and it just made goofy screens look even goofier. I don't want to pass bad info though, so to be certain you'll want to check with Quad before you do it yourself.
That is correct, you need be running one of the current tunes off the website. That is how we started breaking stuff like features!!

Quick Reply: Quad Adrenaline Beta Testing....