Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pyrometer readings

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 07:59 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Re:Pyrometer readings

Yes I have the EV model, but my amplifier box is green. I don't think you can go wrong with the wire length with the EV since the box has the wire attached and therefore comes with a fixed length.
AlpineRAM, I guess the boxs come in different colors but my point is the yellow lead wires coming from the thermocoupler that connect to the wires on the box have to match the specific predetermined length that the box is set for. Yes, your right there is wires on the box but they dont directly connect to the thermocoupler. If they dont match then you will get an incorrect reading.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:33 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

KATOOM: - I read the instructions as follows: The variable length leadwire on the probe is terminated by the connectors.
I think that since I didn't cut any wire anywhere there shouldn't be a length issue. Got the stuff as a set.
ISSPRO R3607TR (EVA Pyro2 1/16" 1500FS)
ISSPRO R658S (Thermocouple adjustable short)
Does that fit together?
Can anybody tell me what type of thermocouple this is and how to measure it?

Thanks!

AlpineRAM
Old 11-27-2003, 12:32 AM

KATOOM: - I read the instructions as follows: The variable length leadwire on the probe is terminated by the connectors.
I think that since I didn't cut any wire anywhere there shouldn't be a length issue. Got the stuff as a set.
ISSPRO R3607TR (EVA Pyro2 1/16" 1500FS)
ISSPRO R658S (Thermocouple adjustable short)
Does that fit together?
Can anybody tell me what type of thermocouple this is and how to measure it?
Sorry, maybe I didnt make myself clear. The amplifier box has been programed to read a specific length lead wire (yellow wire) that ties to the thermocoupler. If you choose a longer lead wire then you must have the box that is set for that length. Your right though, thats why you cant cut any thing. These two components must match each other. Now all I'm saying is there may be a slim chance that you were sent one of the wrong ones (an unmatched set). If so you will get an incorrect reading in the gauge. You listed two parts, there should be four: gauge, amplifier box, lead wire, and thermocoupler.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:09 AM

KATOOM: The news from Wildcat are that ISSPRO says that my amplifier box must have gone haywire. As I stated the pyro started waving at me with just the ignition on engine not running.
I stated the part number on the box that includes the gauge and the amplifier box with the fixed wiring harness, and the number of the pyro probe with the leadwire.
I do think that all the probes with their respective leadwires should give the same output on the contacts to make it possible to use the same amplifier and gauge with different probes. (My assumption since there is no mention of different amplifiers or gauges on the isspro website, they state that you need one of the probes for the gauge-amplifier combo and do not differentiate between different length leadwires for the amplifier or gauge)

Anyway, thanks for the good infos!
Rod from wildcat is taking care of it right now, I hope it's just swapping parts. I think that it's funny that the one bad pyro is the one with the customer furthest away ;D

AlpineRAM
Old 11-27-2003, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote author=AlpineRAM link=board=7;threadid=22798;start=15#msg214789 date=1069924146]
I do think that all the probes with their respective leadwires should give the same output on the contacts to make it possible to use the same amplifier and gauge with different probes.
AlpineRAM
[/quote]
AlpineRAM, the thermocouples used are "K" type thermocouples, and are standard units. You can even buy a digital readout for them from Fluke and other instrument companys. I have the adapter for my Fluke meter and a "K" thermocouple to use when testing new engine installations. Something like this will let you test your probe if you should need to, but it sounds like you've got it covered now!
Old 11-27-2003, 02:51 PM

Thanks Hammer!
I'll look in my box whether I have or haven' t got the adapter for a K-type. ;D

I think that wildcat is great to deal with. Only trouble is that sending stuff takes some time and lots of cash. And a store visit would be quite expensive ;D

AlpineRAM
Old 11-29-2003, 02:40 PM

Glad to see you have it taken care of. Rod is a great guy.