Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

pyrometer??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, here's a question for the experts. I just bought a Quadzilla Xzillaraider with Commander. In the instructions for the Commander, it says to drill and tap the manifold between cylinders 2 and 3. Everything else I've ever read says to tap at the collector (for lack of a better word.) What should I do?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drilled mine about 1 to 3/4 inch from the turbo flange on the rear port. From what I understand the the rear cyclinders run a little hotter.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:05 PM

Where/How to install Pyro probe....
http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechPyroInstall.htm

For 24v tap the rear 3 cylinders as they run the hottest. So move the hole to the rear of center on the manifold.

RJ
Old 06-05-2007, 04:47 PM

That's the way I was planning on doing it. Maybe Qzilla can chime in and explain why they say to drill it between 2 and 3.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:08 PM

More instructions are here:

http://www.tstproducts.com/pdffiles/instpy25b.pdf
Old 06-05-2007, 09:41 PM

i think i may juss put mine post-turbo cause i;m used to semi's and such but i know that post-turbo means like 900 or a thusand or so means calm down rather than like 1200 or 1300.....sound right?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 PM

Mike Stowe,

Mine is a Quadzilla as well and although I think they are a good product, their documentation / instructions (atleast for our 2nd gen trucks) stinks and ain't even close to what is required to install the Pyro pre-turbo. Had I followed the Quad instructions, I'd probably be looking for a new manifold right now. Now Murphy and me had enough sense to jump on the net and find out the correct place to drill it in.

With that said, I guess we have to cut Quad some slack here because from what I have read on this forum it looks like he is incredibly busy. But at some point if this type of error becomes chronic and is never corrected I'd say adding resources may be a good decision.

Again, the Quadzilla product has worked great for me and I would consider it an excellent value. It just needs some better, more accurate instructions.

Just my $.02,
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by motochamp250
anyone have a pic of where they mounted theirs in the manifold?? that way if i decide to do it pre-turbo i can see where to put it....
Just go pre-turbo and don't think about any other way. It's a BIG difference! And not only in temperature differences. Post-turbo, there's a big time delay before the needle actually moves. I've experienced both pre and post, and pre is the way to go. Just don't get careless with the tapping (so you don't strip it or go in sideways), take your time on the whole drill and tap. Overall it is very simple! Don't even worry about the metal shavings. They'll blow right out. Just try to get as much with a vacuum, magnet, and grease on the tap. Some instructions say to drop the turbo. Blah... That'll do more harm than good on an engine with some miles on it.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by motochamp250
... post-turbo means like 900 or a thusand or so means calm down rather than like 1200 or 1300.....sound right?
Your CTD...your choice!
But that's the point of many comments here....900* post turbo is not always enough correction factor and the Cummins big rig mechanics that say 300* difference, don't understand our different driving conditions!
Several years ago, post turbo was very common. Almost all those CTD are now pre turbo.
Your original question was "Which would be better"? Asked and answered!

RJ
Old 06-06-2007, 11:26 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

It really doesn't matter as long as you have one and know how to read it.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:59 PM

so who has a good website with good instructions?? i ordered the kit from diesel manor.com will their istallation instructions have a good illustraton on a pre-turbo placement of the probe?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Just go pre-turbo and don't think about any other way. It's a BIG difference! And not only in temperature differences. Post-turbo, there's a big time delay before the needle actually moves. I've experienced both pre and post, and pre is the way to go. Just don't get careless with the tapping (so you don't strip it or go in sideways), take your time on the whole drill and tap. Overall it is very simple! Don't even worry about the metal shavings. They'll blow right out. Just try to get as much with a vacuum, magnet, and grease on the tap. Some instructions say to drop the turbo. Blah... That'll do more harm than good on an engine with some miles on it.
Dropping the turbo will do more harm than good?????? How do you figure that? Ok now the way I figure it, your truck do what you want. Me personally would rather just do something the right way. But I've just gotta chime in with this statement. How is doing something the correct way gonna do "more harm than good"? If you were gonna pay a mechanic to do something, do you want them to do it right, or just jury-rig it?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:16 PM

you would have to suck in the drill at speed to damage the turbo. drill shavings are not going to hurt the turbo. if yo uhave seen what I have seen go through one you would believe me a lot more lol. a bird at full boost going 130+ will hurt a turbo, metal shavings, no. most of it is blown trough before the turbo even moves, so theres nothing to worry about.
oh and Ive seen pieces of rings and pistn blown out through one, (small pieces) and not have any major damage
Old 06-06-2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
Dropping the turbo will do more harm than good?????? How do you figure that? Ok now the way I figure it, your truck do what you want. Me personally would rather just do something the right way. But I've just gotta chime in with this statement. How is doing something the correct way gonna do "more harm than good"? If you were gonna pay a mechanic to do something, do you want them to do it right, or just jury-rig it?
Cause have you seen the bolts on the turbo? They looked pretty seized up. I'd rather not take the risk of unbolting them, risking the chance of breaking or stripping them. Then you gotta deal with putting the bolts back on and not having a leak. I'd do it if it's absolutely necessary, but not for this job.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:35 PM

so who has a good website with good instructions?? i ordered the kit from diesel manor.com will their istallation instructions have a good illustraton on a pre-turbo placement of the probe?

Quick Reply: pyrometer??