Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

pyrometer??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pyrometer??

guys i noticed on all our semi trucks and such with cummins motors all the pyros are tapped behind the turbo....yet alot of posts i've seen on here have people mounting them before the turbo......which will be better??
Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Registered

pre-turbo is more accurate. post can be as much as 500 off when you step on the skinny pedal hard (so they say). it's alot slower rising, for a fact.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:05 PM

hmm well i juss dunno why they would mount theirs after the turbo then...hmm...
Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motochamp250
it's probably easier to do after the motor and all is installed.... they wouldn't want to remove the turbo to clean out all the shavings..... or they could just cast in a 1/8NPT bung into the mani to screw it into.....
Old 06-04-2007, 10:58 PM

well i may just tap mine there.....im not really expecting to get close to anything hurtful with the mods in my sig and i can't imagine it being to far off temp wise.....its almost in the same place...then i wont have to worry about shavings..
Old 06-05-2007, 01:22 AM

i have heard that after the turbo it will tell you what your turbo temp is before the turbo tells you what is going into uyour turbo I personaly like mine after as I am used to watching it on the bigger trucks I just wont let it get as hot as they say you can
Old 06-05-2007, 04:00 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by 88bird
it's probably easier to do after the motor and all is installed.... they wouldn't want to remove the turbo to clean out all the shavings..... or they could just cast in a 1/8NPT bung into the mani to screw it into.....
If that was the case then would there not already be a hole tapped in the turbo from the factory?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:42 PM

mainly because the oem supplies the pyro and the outlet pipe, not the turbo or manifold. its up to the truck manufacturer to install it, so thats where it goes
Old 06-05-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pre tubro if you'd like to keep your turbo working correctly / not melted.
post turbo add 500 degrees to the temp your seeing...

thats what ive always read.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by motochamp250
After is fine if you are driving 'Long-Haul" all the time at sustained speed.... and not adding hp!
For most of us, we need quicker cylinder temp feedback!

Worrying about shavings is a myth, IMO. Think about it... any shavings will blow through and past the turbine blades long before the turbo gets up to speed! Use grease on the drill bit to catch most shavings and don't worry about any little ones that get away.
Three probes installed and no problems here.

RJ
Old 06-05-2007, 02:43 PM

Yup go pre turbo.

This gives the fastest readings, the most accurate cylinder temperatures, and you'll be in the majority, in case you need to compare readings with the rest of us here.

Unless you're totally not paying attention, or are mechanically incompetent, shavings are really not an issue. Never heard of a turbo blowing up because of shavings. Its really easy, just use grease on the drill bit and on the tap, a magnet to clean the few that fall in, and a vacuum to suck any left over ones. If there's any that fell in, they will just fly past the turbo the first few seconds after start up.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 PM

anyone have a pic of where they mounted theirs in the manifold?? that way if i decide to do it pre-turbo i can see where to put it....
Old 06-05-2007, 03:06 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
I belong to the camp that says "pre-turbo". But since you want post turbo, I beleive Isspro makes a gauge for that. It shows the max temps at a lower temp. I've seen it on www.dieselmanor.com
Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
As for drilling options, I've seen both sides of this argument. With the turbo mounted, engine idling and grease on the bit; AND dis-mouinting the turbo, shoving a rag into the manifold as far as it'll go, drill, tap, vacuum shavings, pull rag out, re-vacuum, re-mount turbo. You've already spent good money on the best diesel truck in the light truck industry, why do half-way work. Why not do what you want, the PROPER way. Why take a change of damaging your turbo? Because a loose shaving can damage that turbo.

It'll only take a few hours to pull the turbo, do all the work and re-mount. Actually, I can and have done it in less than an hour.

You now own the best. Give it what it deserves.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:21 PM

I just installed one on my 2002 HO. Mine is located 3/4 inch from the turbo flange centered in the rearward port leading to the turbo. Because Murphy always is very helpful and likes to follow me around the shop, I pulled the turbo back an inch (easy to do) and duct taped the inlet to it shut. I then stuffed a length of paper towel into the manifold and when done drilling pulled the paper towel out and all of the shavings came with it.

Seriously, pulling the turbo back was real easy and gave me (and Murphy) piece of mind. The pyro install took me less than an hour.

Quick Reply: pyrometer??