Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

PYRO - who is best for our '03's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
PYRO - who is best for our '03's?

I want to install a pyro before heading out with the heavy fiver. Who has the best one for our 2003 HO's? Any good ideas for a location for the gauge yet?<br><br>FiverBob
Old 11-20-2002, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:PYRO - who is best for our '03's?

Fiver - I ordered a pyro guage from BD through my accessory dealer. Unfortunately they had a glitch in the early models so the recalled them and they won't be ready for another month or so. It's three guages (pyro, boost, and trans. temp) in one housing that fits on top of the left side of the dash alongside the &quot;A&quot; post so it doesn't get in the way of the grab handle. Will let you know more when it gets in. The truck just arrived at the dealer's today and I hope to pick it up in a few more days when all the options are installed between the dealer and the accessory shop. Electric steps, spray in bed liner, camper shell, trailer brake kit, trailer battery isolator. The jake brake won't be available until after the first of the year, and like I mentioned, there's no telling when the guage package will be in.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:42 AM

[move]ELECTRIC STEPS ????????????????????????????? [/move]<br><br>TELL ME MORE ABOUT THOSE THAR STEPS.<br><br>BILLY
Old 11-20-2002, 08:29 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Bluedresser,<br><br>Interesting you mention the battery isolation switch. Very few people use them. Here is a suggestion to think about. I wire these up following:<br> 1) Take a hot line to the ignition switch which means the only time it will switch over is when the ignition is on<br> 2) Have an over-ride switch on it you could close. If you ever lost a belt or alternator, you can flip the switch and run on the trailer batteries to run the truck to get to help. If you have generator on the trailer, you could run a long ways.<br><br>Bob
Old 11-22-2002, 11:49 AM

Those are both great ideas Fiver. Oh, the accessory shop called yestereday and told me that BD has re-released the guages I mentioned. They should be here next week. : :
Old 11-22-2002, 12:02 PM

Fiver - I don't know how to put links on the board, but I just checked out www.bd-power.com it has a guages section that shows the x-monitor I mentioned. It's digital and adjustable so you can set it to give you warning alerts. Good Luck. I'll let you know how it works in another week or so,
Old 11-22-2002, 08:30 PM

Bluedresser, any word on your new ride? Could they be sending it by &quot;Pony Express&quot;?
Old 11-23-2002, 09:28 AM

It's here Phil - drove it home last night at 7:00 - will load all my crap on board today and take if for a ride. Thanks for asking. Guages should be here next week along with that deally that keeps your low beams on along with your high beams for better lighting on roads like 50 and 20. The dealer also told me to ask my accessory shop about a brighter bulb that's available OEM. I'll try the dual beam thingy first. All I'll be waiting for after that will be the Jake.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:26 AM

Bluedresser, you should have lots of fun, now. Take a drive over 50 to Apple Hill this weekend just for fun, see how she takes the curves and climbs those hills like a deer. Just keep the left rear duallie off those rumble strips on the double line, they'll jar the fillings outa your teeth.<br><br>Have lots of fun.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:46 PM

Sierra Phil - 1st a reply to MrBilly - The electric steps fit under the front doors. They extend when the doors open and retract when the doors close. You can also have them put on the rear doors. I didn't realize that the 4x2 sat so much lower to the ground than the 4x4, so I ordered them with the truck. Still and all they'll be good for older people and SOL (short old ladies).<br><br>Phil - put 75 miles on it today after loading it up with everything. Just down around Gardnerville and Minden where I could drive my first 50 miles under 55 mph to break in the new tires like the book says. I may drive over to Tracy next weekend to pick up some dwarf car parts. I want to get 500 miles on it so I can see how it tows. Oh, then I have to two the first 500 miles as 50 mph or less. Want to break this one in by the book.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:48 PM

Phil - forgot to mention that I had them spry in the Line-X bed liner. It looks and feels great. Goes well with the new Raven camper shell and the slide out bed. Some day I'll get photos and post them.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:07 AM

Pardon me for asking, but why in the world do you need the information on the three thingies they measure? I can understand transmission oil temp , but the others leave me cold. Educate me master, thanks.<br><br>MrBilly
Old 11-24-2002, 07:48 AM

I found my answer under the tech facts section of this board. Very interesting. I will have to think on this a bit.<br><br>MrBilly
Old 11-24-2002, 10:10 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

For gauges on the 03, pick your favorite gauge and run with it. The 03 doesn't require anything special. And due to an electric transfer pump mounted on the fuel filter canister, I'd be inclined to stick a fuel pressure gauge on the truck again. According to the FSM, the common rail pump requires a minimum of 9.5 PSI supply. The FSM doesn't state if this is a WOT pressure requirement or an idle requirement.<br><br>Rod
Old 11-24-2002, 05:29 PM

OK guys, now that I have read the details, some of which is confusing on first read, tell me practically what one does with all the information from the three gauges - tranny temp, pyro and turbo? ???<br><br>Specifically, how does one react to a particular extreme either way - up or down? ???<br><br>Thanks <br><br>Billy

Quick Reply: PYRO - who is best for our '03's?