Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pyro Probe behind turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pyro Probe behind turbo?

I have a pyrometer in the A pillar however it is not hooked up at the moment, the reason being is that i don't really want to drill into the manifold because of the shavings, and taking the turbo off seams like a lot of work without a host to crawl under the truck. I have been looking at a few pics and i noticed that people have drilled behind the turbo and before the Exahust pipe flange. to put in the probe. This would be better as i would not have to take nothing off to drill and tap it there....? RIGHT?
Would this be an OK spot to put it? or is it recomended in the Manifold.? or was this probe for something else.?

PS: heres where i seen the pic at its on the left side.
HERES THE PIC
thanks for any input.
VJ
Old 06-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know your experienec/competence level with this type stuff, but I did my pyro install in the other day and thought it not too hard. Took about three hours all told, including running the wires, connection, etc. The turbo comes off the manifold 4 bolts, too easy. One clamp got it off the exhaust pipe and moved out enough to use a piece of cardboard taped on the housing flange to protect the turbo. Drill, tap, install thermocouple, pretty straightforward. Started it for a few secs to blow out anything that might have went into the manifold. Put it back together. Not really alot of work, IMHO.

Where's the turbo mounted on an 03 model? No possible way to do it from underneath on mine...
Old 06-26-2006, 04:18 PM

pre turbo is the only way to go. There are many ways of keeping the shavings out of the turbo. Use grease on the drill bit and use a magnet to pick up the few shavings that do fall in, or leave the truck running as you drill. The pressure in the manifold will blow all the shavings out as your drilling.

Randy
Old 06-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Registered

just DONT break the bit off inside if you leave it running.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:06 PM

Pre turbo is the only way to go.

I ran both pre and post at the same time (2 guages) and it is very scary when you see the differences while operating in various conditions.

What I thought to be "OK" temps post turbo were actually nuclear when read in real time pre turbo.

Drilling the manifold is a little freaky when you think about it but it's a minor thing. You don't have to pull the turbo either. Drill and tap it the hole and stick a mechanics magnet in there and fish all the shavings out. Done in less than an hour.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Homestead
Pre turbo is the only way to go.

I ran both pre and post at the same time (2 guages) and it is very scary when you see the differences while operating in various conditions.

What I thought to be "OK" temps post turbo were actually nuclear when read in real time pre turbo.

Drilling the manifold is a little freaky when you think about it but it's a minor thing. You don't have to pull the turbo either. Drill and tap it the hole and stick a mechanics magnet in there and fish all the shavings out. Done in less than an hour.

Jeff
This is the way I did mine. But if you want to disconnect your turbo to do it for extra protection, its just 4 nuts and its off. I used the exhaust and intercooler pipes to hole the turbo in place when I swapped manifolds (stock on had a good crack in it), so it should work just fine for putting a piece of cardboard or plate in there. You don't even need to slide it all the way off the studs. But I'd say do the grease and magnet trick, its simple and effective, and less effort.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 PM

Talking

Just did mine today with the grease and magnet and it worked like a charm.After I had it drilled and tapped I started the truck for a few seconds to blow and small shavings that may have been missed out before I installed the probe .
Old 06-27-2006, 01:18 AM

ok, so i guess its not a big deal if A LITTLE gets in there... I am still not sure if i wanna do this myself... Stuff like this scares me!!!! when i do it myself!.. HOW EVER ITS gotta be done. so say if i drill it myself and tap it then i try to get out as much as i can i can just start it and it will be good..?

let me know.. that will be my Mission for tommorow... sence my rig's down due to rain... DAM!
VJ
Old 06-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It only takes 5-10 minutes to get the turbo loose to cover the intake and protect it for sure. Well worth it, IMHO. As for leaving it running while you are trying to drill and tap, well that's just plain dumb.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ace
As for leaving it running while you are trying to drill and tap, well that's just plain dumb.
Why is it so dumb? Lots have done it that way.

The turbo dosen't spool at startup, any residual pieces would just get blown out the exaust on startup if you left it on.

Installing a pyro is not a huge deal.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
As for leaving it running while you are trying to drill and tap, well that's just plain dumb.
Really, why is that?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:56 PM

Everyones going to hate this, but Im going to say my peace and go
The trucking industry has put the stinger/probe in the down pipe from the beginning, they still put them in the down pipe to this day. That is where it is on both of my trucks and I will never drill my manifold. I have seen 1200 many times. You just got to know when to back out. Dont stay at 1200 for more than a few seconds then feather out of the throttle.
If you put yours in the manifold, than you had better put in 2. 1 for the front 3 cylinders and 1 for the rear 3. They are seperate, you can only read 3 at a time.
If your probe breaks or burns off, and it does happen, where will it go?!!
OK Im done, have a nice day
Old 06-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

If my probe brakes off, I get a bigger turbo!

I know the slight risk is there, would still rather have it pre.

1200* post turbo? That is HOT in the cylinders.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:16 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Frostie has said all that needs to be said. Semi's have had the prob post turbo since the introduction of turbo's to trucking diesel engines. In fact I have never seen one pre turbo on a working truck. I have seen them as far back as the fire wall on the cab, and that is a long way on a 850 + cubic inch engine. So what we used to do was run the truck under load see how high it would read and run it 300 degrees under that. I never burnt a valve, piston, or turbo ever.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:30 PM

Ya but not a lot of semi's making more then twice there advertised hp

Quick Reply: Pyro Probe behind turbo?