Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Putting a Body Lift on a 2001 Ram 2500?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting a Body Lift on a 2001 Ram 2500?

I'm considering getting a body lift. Wanted to see what you guys thought about it. BigBlue is a personal friend of mine (I'm so honored--knowing a celebrity and all) and over lunch one day, he told me NOT to get a body lift. His main reasons were:

1) it puts a visible gap between the body and the frame that can be seen through the wheel wells
2) it makes the bottom of the frame visible under the bottom of the cab (below the door sills)

So I was over on PavementSucks.com and everybody was praising body lifts and I come in with the aforementioned reasons why they suck and I got frickin' FLAMED. Man, they had a field day with me. If you want to read it, CLICK HERE. Anyway, basically, they said that the gap can be covered up with "gap guards" and that Dodges are actually the easiest to do this on. As for the frame being visible under the cab, I don't think there's a fix for this, but honestly, the thought of that doesn't bother me too much. I AM wondering about what would happen to my receiver hitch though because someone over there (at the end of the thread) mentioned the body lift affecting the hitch.

Anyway, I don't have the money for a suspension lift (sorry, BigBlue), and don't go off-roading (yeah, I actually LIKE pavement, contrary to the title of that other site), so I really can't see what the disadvantages of a body lift would be for me. I just want to ride higher up off the road. I got two more inches of height when I went to my new tires and I LOVE it. A few more inches would be even better. Anyway, let me know what you think guys.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:09 AM

STAT 007 look in my photo gallery some pics with 3 body and 2 leveling kit made the gap guads in the rear running boards cover up the frame these pics were taken before I put the 36'' 900-16 XLs on so it looks a little funny ( need to post some new pics)
Old 02-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Banned

You know how I feel. I hate body lifts.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Banned

Body lift makes it easier to get into #6 for when ya get new shower heads
Old 02-19-2005, 11:07 AM

A agree with Blue...Go big or go home.

I HATE Body lifts with a passion...even though I do drive a 2wd truck (not by choice mind you )

They just look "tacky" with all the frame showing and you might as well forget working on the engine after it's sunk down in the engine bay, I'm short enough as it is

There is a place for a body lift, like on a 1974 Buick lifted and on 35's, the whole thing looks "bad" so why not

This is just my opinion, like I said, I've got a lifted 2wd,
Chris
Old 02-19-2005, 12:18 PM

The last time I checked, they didn't make a body lift for the 01 with an auto tranny. partly because the way the radiator is mounted.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
You know how I feel. I hate body lifts.
Give me reasons why. If they're good reasons, they'll stand up to arguments. Otherwise, it's baseless and probably just "because you spent $800+ on a suspension lift".

Originally posted by Whitmore
Body lift makes it easier to get into #6 for when ya get new shower heads
What??

Originally posted by signature600
A agree with Blue...Go big or go home.

I HATE Body lifts with a passion...even though I do drive a 2wd truck (not by choice mind you )

They just look "tacky" with all the frame showing...
Again, WHY? I already said that you can hide the gap in the wheel wells and if lots of frame shows below the doors, I'd like to see some pictures where this is clearly visible.

C'mon, guys. You're going to have to do better than "I just don't like them".
Old 02-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Have you ever seen the gap guards? They look tacky IMO. You can tell they are an add on. Once the pics get approved, you can see what I mean when I say there is frame visible. That pic was taking on a 2' tall hill and look how much frame you can still see. I also don't like the idea of the body of my truck being suspended 3" off the frame on a plastic block. And with the weight that your carrying on your truck with the bumpers, I like it even less. Not to mention that once you put a body lift on, your not supposed to tow anything. With a suspension lift, you can still tow. Albeit some trailer modifications, but you can still tow. The lines of where your bumpers meet the body can become changed and have big gaps between them.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:39 PM

by the time you do all the mods - gap guards, lifting the bumpers, messing with rad and intercooler, buggering with the fan shroud, shift linkage, modifying brake lines, etc. etc it will cost the same as a suspension lift. There is a lot of work to installing the body lift.

Body lifts put stress on the cab where the longer mounts attach....Most people will tell youthat a body lift is NOT the way to go....but hey its your truck. Are you prepared to take it off if you want to sell the truck? It will make resale more difficult as well.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:55 PM

Then go to this thread and back me up! LOL

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/...hp?topic=63113
Old 02-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Banned

Old 02-19-2005, 02:09 PM

body lift

I have a 2001 quad cab 4x4 2500 like you and I run 315s also. I dont like body lifts at all and dont like the look of all the colored peices that come on most suspension lifts, but with the 315s we need more clearance. I installed a tuff country 2in front leveling spacers $120, 1in rear blocks(dowelled to the pad and spring and welded to axle) and u-bolts$40, and a 1in body lift (poly pro plastic and a hole saw) and all new grade 8 bolts $60. $220 total no gaps no radiatior to mess with and appears stock but I did raise my bumpers 1in to match up right.

Hope some of this helps
Wrangler
Old 02-19-2005, 03:01 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
You have tapped into a personal preference subject and no matter what you ask thats pretty much what your going to get. I also dont care for body lifts. Taking the body and bed away from the frame is dangerous as far as I'm concerned. I hear if the mounts dont stay tight there could be a problem. I've heard the mounts can push threw the body. I dont see how the bed is supposed to carry any substantial amount of weight without the support of the frame to rest on. You have to lengthen and/or adjust EVERYTHING that connects the frame to the body and bed. Not sure if you looked closely but there is tons of stuff to mess with. Sure you may save a buck or two by doing a body lift but if your only after a couple of inches then a suspension lift should not break your pocket book by any means. I can see why you got attacked on the other site by not approving of body lifts. They constitute a way to move the truck away from the tires, allowing more tire clearance, without causing anymore dreaded driveline angles. But again its all personal preference.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:04 PM

Wrangler,

It'd help if you had some pictures in your Member Gallery.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:40 PM

IMHO body lifts do look tacky and after everything is said and done you will have to spend quite abit of money to even make it look somewhat right and then driveable(as said before) You will spend maybe 400 less on a body lift than a suspension lift and when you think about that price difference its really not that much considering the price of your truck and the money that you are already spending(and the difference in the ride you will feel)...One funny story that i must share about body lifts too is one that i saw at the dealership, A very overweight man(400+) came in with a (body) lifted for ranger and was complaining that his truck had a constant "squeeling". A tech came over, put it up on a lift and noticed that on the front left side of the truck the spacers were stretching the metal on the cab in the area that the spacer was sitting and had to tell the man that the only way to get rid of the squeeling was to remove the body lift. In my opinion he should of told him that or that he could loose some weight...

Quick Reply: Putting a Body Lift on a 2001 Ram 2500?