Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pusher pump install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pusher pump install question

I've got a new lift pump sitting in the garage ready to install this weekend. I was going to just mount it in the stock location but now I'm thinking about moving it back by the tank to use it as a pusher. Only problem is I don't have the parts (bracket, fittings, wiring, etc.) to do it in time for the weekend. I'd like to delete the pump in the stock position and run the one by the tank as a stand alone pump. I've seen a lift pump delete kit on ebay before that is a metal (aluminum?) block that mounts in the stock lift pump position and has an inlet and outlet holes for the fuel lines to be plugged into. Thinking of going that rout or connecting the Scotty fuel lines together where they would normally hook up to the stock lift pump. I do have the Scotty big line fuel kit already installed. Can these parts be found at a hardware store? What are your thoughts?

Mark
Old 04-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
YOu can make a blockoff plate quite cheaply. All the rest can be locally obtained, AFAIK.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:17 PM

You can get all the parts you need at an auto store like advance auto. put the pump in the back and run your rubber hose to the fuel filter housing, get rid of the inlet banjo bolt and get a barbed fitting and hook the hose up to that. Then just take some wire and extend your harness back to the new pump.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:48 PM

Anybody know the stock fuel line size if I tap into it back by the tank? I'm hoping I can find some fittings at the local hardware store because the auto parts stores around here suck for that kind of stuff.

Mark
Old 04-19-2006, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the stock lines are 3/8. I just put my vulcan big line/pump relocation
kit. The lines are 1/2 inch from the pump. The line from the stock line to the pump was 3/8 and it was tight to put on. I'm guessing 3/8.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:22 PM

Yep, Dodgin & Rammin, you are correct in the sizing of the lines. The vulcan relocate kit was a real easy installation. The fuel pressure looks good. I went with the autometer z series electric fuel pressure gauge and put a Hoke needle valve at the big line tee between the FF and the VP. The fuel filter was really really dirty. Things ran with a whole lot more whomp when I finished.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 AM

Guess I could try to find a fitting to connect the two Scotty fuel lines that now plug into the stock lift pump? That would probably be the easiest way to eliminate the pump from the stock position. Then fabricate a mounting bracket for the pump by the tank. Get some fittings for the pusher to splice into the fuel lines by the tank. Then get some wiring to splice into the stock pigtail and run back to the pusher. Will this work? Any other suggestions?

Mark
Old 04-20-2006, 09:58 AM

the fitting that might be a little hard to find locally will be the metric fitting to thread into the LP.. Need an metric to 3/8 barbed..
Old 04-21-2006, 07:30 AM

Has anybody spliced into the stock wiring harness and run it back to the pusher pump before? Just want to make sure I do it right.

Mark
Old 04-21-2006, 05:14 PM

Anybody?
Looking for the size of wire for extending the harness. I want to gather up the parts today so I can hopefully dig into the install tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:22 PM

I am pretty sure that it was 16 gauge. I spliced into the wiring after the stock connection at the lift pump. Where the factory wiring comes to the lift pump there is a connector. The female connector is part of the factory lift pump and the male is part of the factory wiring harness. I might have the male and female backwards, it has been a while since I had them apart. I spliced into it after that connection, between the connector and where the wires go into the bottom of the lift pump. It has worked really good. Hope that helps
Old 04-21-2006, 05:25 PM

I also used a relay for running the pusher pump. That is the safest way, so you wont have any more load on the factory wiring harness. If you need any more info, just let me know.