Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

push pumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pusher pumps

i know there is alot of info. on here about them but i don't know the difference inbetween holley and carter. i know alot of people run holley and alot run carter. i am using this with my stock lp and want it to take some of the load off of the lp and hopefully make it last longer. i also want more fuel pressure at wot. i know it don't make more power but in wot dropping down to 6 or 7 psi from a 13 psi idle kinda scares me. so i am not sure which pump i need the holley blue or red. or the carter 4600 or 4601. info on these is appreciated or any tech info i need to know on installation. thanks
Old 04-23-2005, 12:10 AM

Can't remember which is which with the Carter numbers, but if you're going to use the Holley -and- the stock lp inline together, you go with the Holley Red. The Blue will develop too much pressure at idle; the Red and the lp together will give you about the upper end -- 20 to 23 psi. And not less than 14 psi at WOT, which is nice.

You won't need a pressure regulator with the Holley Red, it's as simple as mounting it on the frame in front of the fuel tank and connecting the lines and wires. I have a bypass and a switch for my Red, so I can still run the stock lp alone. *shrugs, but I haven't had to.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:03 AM

fwiw I would consider the Fass II -

I ran a carter pusher pump for about 10k and still replaced a lift pump and was having problems with the replacement. #1 developed a leak by the electrical connections and pressure was starting to fluctuate on #2. Bottom line many $ and hours spent fooling around with pumps of questionable quality.

The Fass appears to be a higher quality pump and so far has been more reliable. There are quite a few of them out there and if they were failing I believe you would read about it here.

If you would like - PM me and I will send you a 7 psi carter (still working) and a relay for the cost of postage. With the 7psi carter I would see about 22psi at idle and 15psi at wot.

Good luck,

George