Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

PUMP NOT RUNNING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PUMP NOT RUNNING!!!

Alright. I hooked it all up. I used the positive wire from the stock pump as the trigger wire for the new pump. It worked fine for about 5 minutes and now suddenly it won't work. I cut the trigger wire off and connected it straight to the battery and the pump kicks on. Did I blow the relays in the main fuse box or what?

Second problem. When I finally got the truck running (before the trigger wire quit working) the pressure was to high. It was over 30 at idle. What's the deal?

Is there anybody that's going to be in College Station before Fri (maybe up to Fri afternoon) that could help me? I'm desperate. I'm supposed to head back home on Fri. so I need to get this thing figured out before then.

Any of yall know what's up with this thing? I can't put the Holley back on cause the bypass spring shot out somewhere and I can't find it. Could I buy another spring and use it?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:16 PM

Re:PUMP NOT RUNNING!!!

what pump do u have. did u run a test light on your trigger wire?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:18 PM
Banned

PE4200. It's 2 months old. Brand new though. Ran a test light to the trigger wire. That's how we found out it was the trigger wire.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:24 PM

Probably blew the relays in the box or the fuse.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Banned

The fuse that came with the relays on the pump is good. Is there a fuse to the relays in the main fuse box?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:34 PM

There probably is blue or maybe an ignition fuse.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:38 PM
Banned

How do I check for a blown relay? Will I be able to tell if I put it out? What could have cause it to blow?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:52 PM

If you overload a relay you will blow it as far as testing bench testing can be done you should do a search for the best way though.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:17 PM
Banned

Here's an update. I just hooked the trigger wire up to the battery to let the pump run and pressurize the lines. I got the truck running, but I still have over 30 psi of FP at idle. When I shut the truck off, I notice I have a small leak in one of the AN fittings. It is a 45* elbow and right where the elbow meets the rest of the fitting, it is leaking. I think the O-ring in it might be bad. Is there a temporary fix I can do till I can get a new fitting in? The only time it leaks is when I turn the truck off. As long as the truck is running, it's fine Also, my friend was telling me that since there is a small leak, it is letting in little bits of air pockets and that is what is causing the high fuel pressure reading. He said I should fix the leak, and let the truck run for a while and let all the air out. The only time the truck is seeing over 30 psi is when it is running. If I just prime the truck, it will only go to about 18.2 psi. Once the truck starts running, the pressure goes through the roof. How much is a new relay from Dodge? Could I go to an autoparts store and pick it up or is it something exclusive to Dodge? Why would the relay blow? My grounds are good and there is nothing shorting it out anywhere.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:06 PM

1) where are you picking up this 30psi reading?

2) If the psi is too high, call Doug at Advanced Diesel Tech. They have worked with this pump more then anybody else.

3) if a compression fitting is leaking, then make sure it's tight before saying the o-ring is bad.

Hope the rest of the install went good.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Banned

I'm picking the reading up at a spot about mid way between the injection pump and fuel filter. The port is about 4-6" away from the VP44. You think I should mount the sender directly to the line instead of on the grease gun hose I have now? I'll try and tighten it up and see how that works. I'm still stumped about the wiring problem though. Any ideas?
Old 08-27-2003, 06:16 PM

You might check the relay wiring at the relay you are using to run the pusher. It's easy to mix up which conductor (activate/power/load/ground) goes to which spade on the relay. Where it functions properly when the coil conductor is powered directly from the battery seems to contradict checking the relay connections, but.....I'm guessing that you might have POWERED the pusher from the TRIGGER line from the original lift pump, and the line you have to the coil is actually your battery source so the contact is always closed when the key is on. ?????
Old 08-27-2003, 06:33 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=7;threadid=18903;start=0#msg177402 date=1062015468]
1. Is there a temporary fix I can do till I can get a new fitting in?

2. Also, my friend was telling me that since there is a small leak, it is letting in little bits of air pockets and that is what is causing the high fuel pressure reading.

3. The only time the truck is seeing over 30 psi is when it is running. ...prime... about 18.2 psi.

4. How much is a new relay from Dodge?

5. Why would the relay blow? [/quote]

1. Try some JB weld

2. Uhh, ??? What? How does air make pressure? IF anything it should compress, and appear as less pressure.

3. That's odd

4. You mean a PCM. The LP relay is integral to the PCM, only rated for about 1.5 Amps

5. To high of a load,, accidently shorted out, or, just felt like not working anymore.

Hope this helps.

Merrick Cummings Jr

EDIT: or is the relay in the *E*CM ?
Old 08-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Banned

I don't think I'm quite following you. The relays that came with the kit were already hooked up. Look at the diagram. The yellow wires on the diagram are the trigger wires. They are both supposed to go to the trigger wire for the pump(pump or ignition switch). I used the positive wire from the stock lift pump harness as the trigger wire. One thing I didn't do, and I just noticed this, is that I did not attach a second ground from the mounting bar to the chassis to ground the whole thing. So maybe that will help. Other than that, the wiring was done correctly. Both blue wires went to the positive on the pump. The ground wire for the pump was lengthened and attached to the mounting bar on the relays (as per the instructions). The red wire's both go into a fuse and then go to the battery. I've got the whole thing mounted on the firewall. Is it safe to just leave the pump hooked up to the battery while the truck is running (and unplug it while it's not running) and not through the fuel pump relay?
Old 08-27-2003, 06:38 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=7;threadid=18903;start=0#msg177444 date=1062024970]
1. You think I should mount the sender directly to the line instead of on the grease gun hose I have now?

2. I'll try and tighten it up and see how that works.[/quote]

1. Great idea if you want to ruin the sender,, even with the grease hose, you should still have a needle valve pinching off the flow until the Fuel pressure barely reads to avoid any pulsing getting to your sender.

2. Good Idea. I had a BAD leak on the way to Muncie,, only 45 minutes out of town,, lost about 1/4 tank in 5 miles,, tightened up the AN fittings, and leak gone.

Merrick Cummings Jr

Quick Reply: PUMP NOT RUNNING!!!