Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Proper way to instal lock up toggle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run 2 LEDs on my lockup switch. Yellow LED lights up whenever the PCM gives the signal and the Red LED lights up when the switch is forcing lockup (yellow also comes on). There's nothing worse than coming to a stop while your locked up. The dummy lights are cheap insurance IMO. If intersted, I can post up the diagram.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:59 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J Double
I run 2 LEDs on my lockup switch. Yellow LED lights up whenever the PCM gives the signal and the Red LED lights up when the switch is forcing lockup (yellow also comes on). There's nothing worse than coming to a stop while your locked up. The dummy lights are cheap insurance IMO. If intersted, I can post up the diagram.
I'm intrested. I've been running with out lights, but it does sound intresting.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 PM

I'd also like to see your diagram. I'm doing it this weekend and really like your idea.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Lock Up switch LEDs

I've been using this setup for close to four years now without a problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:12 PM

will this work on a early 04 model?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by txsmokindiesel
will this work on a early 04 model?
You bet. The only thing that may be different (color wise) is the signal wire on your 04. Ours, 2nd gen trucks, is a orange wire w/black tracer.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:33 PM

Great info fellas, just what I was looking for. I may give it a shot this weekend.

The LED's are an excellent idea, BTW.

Rob
Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 PM

Guys, be careful if you have a stock tranny. I'd hate to be semi-responsible for tranny carnage...I have enough of my own.

BTW...I got the LEDs from radio shack along with the rocker switch that's mounted on the right side of the knee bolster.

My buddy has the best "switch" for this application IMHO. He uses a spring loaded push button switch that's attached via a nice telephone style type wire. He can fold it up neatly in the ash tray when not needed. When needed, he can pull it out and lay it in his lap (that don't sound right) and activate it while still keeping his eyes on the road. I sometimes fumble around to find mine (that didn't sound right either).

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He can pull it out and lay it in his lap (that don't sound right) and activate it while still keeping his eyes on the road. I sometimes fumble around to find mine (that didn't sound right either).
TMI! To Much Information. LOL
Old 06-06-2008, 08:33 AM

I run 2 LEDs on my lockup switch. Yellow LED lights up whenever the PCM gives the signal and the Red LED lights up when the switch is forcing lockup (yellow also comes on)

Thanks for the diagram, I like the lights to remind you what mode its in. There are some diagram's I've seen with more relay's that trip whenever you press the brake pedal so you can't forget to unlock when approaching a stop light. Those usually have a three position switch (toggle-center-toggle) and I think you can force the TC to stay unlocked as well.

This would prevent LU from being used as a brake however. What I would like to find is a diagram that has the brake unlock relay's and the LED's like yours has. Has anyone seen one like that?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 PM

i installed this on my 99 a few months ago and my brothers 01 the 01 worked great but the 99 is weird i can lock it up and when i give it throttle it feels like it shifts down into third other times it feels locked up for a few seconds then it shifts down but when i try to stop it starts bucking like its lockedup the 99 only has edge juice/attitude smarty #8 and 150 edge jammer injectors the trans is stock for now but was wondering if yall had a solution for me i will recheck my work tommorrow just in case i missed something have had it unplugged for a while oh i tapped the wire and removed the relay and put in a jumper might try the resistor though
thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 10:22 PM

there is a thead in third gens on lock up its pin 7 on the round plug I did a 03 crd this week works great now our 2 24v will lock at will and is awesome towing I have seen much lower overall temps in tranny and engine very happy with it.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
.,':;"-&!?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
.,':;"-&!?
X2
Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 AM

Ok, I've got a head scratcher for you guys. I got it hooked up and it works intermentially it seems. I bought a lighted rocker switch and hooked a 30 ohm resitor on the ground side, pierced the orange/black wire and then ran the hot to the fuse box. Now, here's where it gets goofy. I can pull the gear shift down to second gear, hit the switch and sometimes it'll lock and sometimes it won't. It doesn't seem to matter if I have OD on or off. And if I have it engaged with OD off running in 3rd then turn the switch off and OD back on, it won't go into 4th unless I turn the lockup switch on???? Confused???? so am I. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I didn't pull any relays and it isn't throwing any codes.

I might wind up giving Dusty at HTS a call and see how it's supposed to operate since he built the VB to be used with a lock up switch.

Quick Reply: Proper way to instal lock up toggle?