Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Proper way to instal lock up toggle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering if it was still hard on a stock auto to shift it while locked even under light throttle, I assume it would be hard on it at WOT but is it still hard on a stocker if you let off to shift?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 19Fury69
I was just wondering if it was still hard on a stock auto to shift it while locked even under light throttle, I assume it would be hard on it at WOT but is it still hard on a stocker if you let off to shift?

I can't answer that question. I didn't have my switch until after I installed the valve body. The only thing I can suggest is to work it up slowly to shifting under full throttle. Mine shifts very smooth locked. If it's too rough I wouldn't do it. Tony makes modifications to the valve body so you can shift locked with no damage. Some will say not to do it at all but I have had no trouble with his aftermarket valve body. If you have more horsepower than stock you better talk to someone who knows more than I do.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:23 PM

I finished mine yest "laughing at self" finally with proper resistor in.upshifting normal throttle was fine ...at WOT was great as well kind of a firm shift 3-4 I wouldnt do it with a heavy load..the led is great plan but I think a brake switch relay is in order.. cause after 100 miles locked even with light you forget until you feel it pushing you when on brakes.. otherwise great! thank your for help.. now thinking its time for some 275 injectors..
Old 05-31-2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2RamsNoCash
..the led is great plan but I think a brake switch relay is in order.. cause after 100 miles locked even with light you forget until you feel it pushing you when on brakes.. otherwise great! thank your for help..
For me that's a small price to pay for the increased compression braking I get even without a potato stuffer. I don't even have a light on mine so I do forget once in a while but you get a reminder pretty quickly. My wife has it today so I hope she doesn't accidentally hit that switch 'cause she'll be in deep doo doo and so will I.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:24 PM

How do you do the jumper wire in place of the Trans relay under the hood?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 PM

i just did mine today!! i love it i can lock it up in any gear!! I first put a 33 resitor inline to the ground then and attached that side to the ground and the other end to the off side of the switch, then i spliced in to the pin 7 of the round plug on the trans then i ran the wire to the on side of the switch. Works like a charm
Old 06-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beast76
How do you do the jumper wire in place of the Trans relay under the hood?

Got to Radio Shack and buy a 33 ohm resister. Solder it into the ground line of your switch and you don't have to take the relay out. No codes thrown this way either.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 AM

Ok, Thanks. I've already got the switch installed, just wanting to stop it from going in to limp mode.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 AM

so correct me if im wrong but with the converter locked it wont down shift? meaning i could get up to like 50mph lock it up slow down to like 30 and lug it making it smoke like a freight train???
Old 06-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so correct me if im wrong but with the converter locked it wont down shift? meaning i could get up to like 50mph lock it up slow down to like 30 and lug it making it smoke like a freight train???
YEP. But remember, stock tranny's (input shafts, and clutch packs, etc.) don't like to be lugged too much. It's a good way to break something. Diffinately don't lug too much while towing.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 AM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by Black Beast76
Ok, Thanks. I've already got the switch installed, just wanting to stop it from going in to limp mode.
Did you install a 33 ohm resister with that switch? I have a 2000 also. I left the transmission relay IN and mine works flawlessly. No limp mode or CEL's.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 AM

haha well breaking things is always a good excuss to upgrade, just timing it right with a decent paycheck is the key haha
Old 06-03-2008, 12:01 PM

haha well breaking things is always a good excuss to upgrade, just timing it right with a decent paycheck is the key haha
So true......So true......
Old 06-04-2008, 05:12 AM

Been following this thread with interest........ looks like a useful mod that will help while towing.

I have a couple questions. What is the best way to splice into the wire in the tranny harness? Are you guys soldering the wires to the 7 pin wire or just using a quick splice? Also, what is the best location to attach the ground wire on the resistor side of the switch?

Thanks!

Rob
Old 06-04-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by CG Rob
Been following this thread with interest........ looks like a useful mod that will help while towing.

I have a couple questions. What is the best way to splice into the wire in the tranny harness? Are you guys soldering the wires to the 7 pin wire or just using a quick splice? Also, what is the best location to attach the ground wire on the resistor side of the switch?

Thanks!

Rob
Not only while towing, but just daily driving is enhanced. I used a "T" tap to connect to the orange w/ black tracer wire at the ECM on the firewall. Some say the solder the resister to the ground wire. But I just use a wire crimp with wire on one side (with goes to ground) and a spade connector on the other side of the resister (to attach to the screw on the switch).

Quick Reply: Proper way to instal lock up toggle?