Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Proper way to instal lock up toggle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 33 ohm resistor soldered on switch and tapped orange with black tracer. checked it from plug pin to ground (with plug off pcm) and have desired 33 ohms but it doesnt work.. so thinking in my case jumping the relay is needed..havent tried the relay jumper yet..
Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2RamsNoCash
I have 33 ohm resistor soldered on switch and tapped orange with black tracer. checked it from plug pin to ground (with plug off pcm) and have desired 33 ohms but it doesnt work.. so thinking in my case jumping the relay is needed..havent tried the relay jumper yet..
The resistor is to prevent going into limp mode and throwing codes when you leave the relay in. Do you have the resistor on the ground side of the switch? It won't work right if it is put on the side coming from the orange/black wire.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:17 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2RamsNoCash
No insult intended, but you did connect the other side of the switch/33 ohm resister to ground? My is connecte exactly as Russ Roth describes above (with the relay IN) and mine works flawlessly.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 PM

I soldered the 33ohm resistor inline from switch to groundwire when measured off terminal B-11 switch on I have 33 ohm resistance switch off open line.so that end works I jumpered out relay as specified on tst site and still doesnt work..the tapped line is orange and black and corresponds to B-11 on center plug pcm I may next try bypassing resistor and see if that effects it.thanks for responding Bill
Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 PM

well now I feel really dumb...I used a 33k ohm assuming that was the one but after reading some I found out was 33 ohm so. gonna go back to the shack and try again..ty for all help
Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Yeah, I'd bet with a 33,000 ohm resister, you were not grounding properly.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:30 PM

i would like to know more about this, anyone have time to teach a beginner. im not all that familiar with auto trans. yet i have one and need to learn because i know its gonna quit on me one day. when im pulling something it never really pulls good till i get into overdrive and then it pulls like a dream. any words of wisdom will be appreciated!
Joe
Old 05-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by joebishop23
i would like to know more about this, anyone have time to teach a beginner. im not all that familiar with auto trans. yet i have one and need to learn because i know its gonna quit on me one day. when im pulling something it never really pulls good till i get into overdrive and then it pulls like a dream. any words of wisdom will be appreciated!
Joe
Well, that's because the 47re torque converter is slipping the whole time. That is intill the EMC locks the torque converter, which should happen after the 3rd gear shift.

With the "lock-Up" switch that has been discused in this thread, you control when the torque converter locks; that way the tranny is putting down to the rear wheels the full force of the engine. When I tow, I have the O/D button off and after starting out from a stop, I hit the "lock-up" switch after the tranny shifts into 2nd. So, basicly I hit the switch at about 30 mph. Then I let the tranny do it's thing. And at the appropriate time I hit the O/D switch so it can go into O/D.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
With the "lock-Up" switch that has been discused in this thread, you control when the torque converter locks; that way the tranny is putting down to the rear wheels the full force of the engine. When I tow, I have the O/D button off and after starting out from a stop, I hit the "lock-up" switch after the tranny shifts into 2nd. So, basically I hit the switch at about 30 mph. Then I let the tranny do it's thing. And at the appropriate time I hit the O/D switch so it can go into O/D.

Exactly what I do when normal towing. I do lock it up in first gear when towing up some very steep hills I need to pull at low speed in first.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:58 PM

so could you leave it on the whole time even when not towing, if you hooked it up to the brake pedal? i like the way the new dodges lock up in every gear. mine seems to be sluggish until it gets into 3rd with OD off and over drive. does this effect the longevity or cause problems to the tranny? i just want to get the most out of my tranny with better performance untill it dies and i get a good performance tranny.
Thanks for all the help.
Joe
Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 PM

Yes. I use my switch everyday, everywhere. But the tranny will not down shift with it engaged. I have to unlock the switch, turn off the O/D and then re-engage the switch. Then I can manually control which gear I want to be in with the switch locked.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 PM

Im sure you already know,but doing locked up shifts is a BAD idea with a stock transmission.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
Im sure you already know,but doing locked up shifts is a BAD idea with a stock transmission.
Mine is all stock except for the Dunrite valve body. I shift it locked every time I drive it, towing, loaded or empty.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:39 AM

what if you shift under light throttle, is tha still hard on it? Im going to put in a lockup switch as soon as i get home, never realised how easy it is
Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 19Fury69
what if you shift under light throttle, is that still hard on it? I'm going to put in a lockup switch as soon as i get home, never realized how easy it is
After I am in second gear I can shift it under WOT, loaded or empty, but that is because Tony builds the VB to allow it.

Quick Reply: Proper way to instal lock up toggle?