Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Proper way to instal lock up toggle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper way to instal lock up toggle?

I got a stock 02 auto. I would like to lock up the converter when I'm towing and I know that this can be done by wiring in a toggle between ground and the orange/black wire to the lock up solenoid. Does anyone have a good diagram or insight into this so that I don't throw a code or really mess something up. I just don't have the dough to buy a controller ala BD etc.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you've already got it figured out - it's pretty simple. Just don't forget to disenage the lockup switch so your tranny will downshift.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:51 PM

Ok thanks for the info. I still have some question as the how the trans will act when I have the switch on (grounding that wire out?). Some have said it will shift into 4th, some have said it will up shift but not down shift...just wanted some clarification and to be sure that grounding that wire is what to do and not just looking to start a fire. Also is the switch sufficient or should I use a relay? If I install a relay hooked to the brake switch will it re lock up when I let off the brake?? Sorry for all the questions...measure twice, cut once.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 13th_Samhain
Ok thanks for the info. I still have some question as the how the trans will act when I have the switch on (grounding that wire out?). Some have said it will shift into 4th, some have said it will up shift but not down shift...just wanted some clarification and to be sure that grounding that wire is what to do and not just looking to start a fire. Also is the switch sufficient or should I use a relay? If I install a relay hooked to the brake switch will it re lock up when I let off the brake?? Sorry for all the questions...measure twice, cut once.

Thanks
With the converter switch on (circuit grounded) the tranny will shift through the gears normally. It will not down shift, unless the valve body is modified. I know a lot of guys who just use a switch with the wires, including myself, without any problems. The torque converter will only lockup once it shifts into second gear.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll usually also have to pull the trans relay out of the underhood fusebox and install a jumper wire, or else they'll throw a limp mode when doing the mystery switch.
Some truck do, some don't....
Old 04-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by johnsjas
It will not down shift, unless the valve body is modified.
Thanks for the reassurance.

If I install a relay to break the switch circuit when I hit the brake, will it unlock and downshift? Will it re lock when I let off the brake? Just curious as how to maximise the braking ability with out spending 5 g's on a tranny, converter, lock up controller, and exhaust brake.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
You'll usually also have to pull the trans relay out of the underhood fusebox and install a jumper wire, or else they'll throw a limp mode when doing the mystery switch.
Some truck do, some don't....
Anyone have any specific info on this?? Mine is an 02 do I need the jumper?? Wich ppins do I jump??

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I left in the relay. And I didn't jump any wires. All I did was to tap the orange w/ white tracer wire, connected a wire to it and ran it into the cab to a 33 ohm resister to a toggle switch. The a wire from the other side of the switch to ground. No problems at all. Works great.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM

those instructions sound okay but go to www.tstproducts.com and then click installions and you should see lock up switch. should be even clearer. if you take your truck out of overdrive and into 3rd gear then lock the converter thats good for slowing down with or without a trailer. and if you going 20mph and lock your converter and your in overdrive its gonna lug the motor in 4th gear, which makes for some nice smoke but would be pretty bad towing so...have fun with it.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 PM

One has to be slightly on the throttle for the convertor to re-lock.
Mike
Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 PM

I'm getting ready to do mine also but I'm also wondering about hooking it up through the brake switch. I thought a member here had a diagram of his truck with this set up. Any ideas how to do it right?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 95dodgectd
those instructions sound okay but go to www.tstproducts.com and then click installions and you should see lock up switch. should be even clearer.
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between just installing a switch to ground with 33 ohm resistor and jumping the trans relay??

I'm confused again
Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by 13th_Samhain
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between just installing a switch to ground with 33 ohm resistor and jumping the trans relay??

I'm confused again
Me too, but i left in the relay ans used a 33 ohm resister at the switch and it works great.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 PM

I installed mine yesterday and played with today,I have 33 ohm resistance between pin 11 and ground with switch on, but has no effect on lock up..does this mean I have to jumper trans relay?..no codes but no difference in lock up either..if I can get this working have to do the 03 ram next.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:15 PM
TB1

Run the wire from the trans orange with black stripe to one side of the switch. On the other side of the switch solder in the resistor and connect it to a good chassis ground, all done.

Quick Reply: Proper way to instal lock up toggle?