Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Proper boost gauge readings

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper boost gauge readings

Had the Autometer Pyro and boost professionaly installed (pillar was painted to match and looks factory!) Boost readings are just about zero normally. When I put foot into it heavy (really not too often- yet) I might get close to ten. When I questioned it, they told me it would get higher during towing when more of a load is put on. Sound right? or it something not right
Old 06-28-2003, 10:46 AM

Re:Proper boost gauge readings

Where did they tap the boost pressure into?? <br>That seems low to me. After I installed my gauges, I was seeing &gt;26psi boost when I had my foot into it. Now, with the Edge EZ and boost elbow I am seeing &gt;36psi
Old 06-28-2003, 11:13 AM

I would trust the gauge reading and assume there are boost leaks...either at the intercooler boots or the wastegate diaphragm. You can just try to tighten the intercooler boost clamps first to see if that helps. If it doesn't, inspect the boots very carefully for splits or worn through spots if they are rubbing on anything like other hoses or sheet metal. If they appear to be good, disconnect the wastegate rubber line and pressurize it with about 20-30 psi from air compressor and listen for leaks and watch the actuator to see if it works smoothly. If all that is good I would still not be convinced. I would make a test connection to attach the air compressor to the inlet of the turbo. You can make one from a 4&quot; rubber sewer end cap (Fernco 4&quot; Quick-Cap, available at Home Depot) with air fittings and small regulator installed. Using this cheap device you can pressurize the whole system to 20-30 psi to find leaks which might be otherwise impossible to find any other way. Hopefully the leak won't be the intercooler itself.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:50 AM

Thanks. They installed the sensor (dunno the proper name so I will try and describe) in the elongated metal elbow intake going into the motor on the driver side. The Edge and gauges were all installed at the same time, and the truck does run good, so I am hoping this is something simple. I am at the stage in my life that I prefer to pay someone else to do work for (also, &quot;stuff&quot; just seemed to go wrong when I played mechanic) me - anyone out there know anyone to recommend in my area, bout 40 miles east of LA?