Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

propane vs. nitrous.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
propane vs. nitrous.

Ive heard about propane and nitrous systems and i was wondering if any out there can please enlighten me on this subject. ??? I wish i knew more about this topic. I have a stock fuel system other than my edge comp box. Any response is appreciated!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:52 AM

Re:propane vs. nitrous.

What are you looking to gain? More HP for drag racing, more HP for pulling, something to improve mpg etc?
Old 10-27-2003, 11:17 AM

I'd be interested in what gains propane adds performance wise/mpg wise...and how it affects EGT's.

nitrous not an option for me.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:25 AM

Both of you would be much happier safer and all around better off with fueling mods over propane.

Disclaimer ***** I am not a propane expert.
What I have heard its dangerous to both you and the engine. It is very dangerous in a crash along with being hard to set up and tune. Added cost of having to fill the tank possible loss of bedsapce.

Fueling Mods
Very proven safe reliable HP
Air Mods also proven and reliable
Both increase fuel mileage of you do not go crazy.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:49 PM

I have no experience with nitrous, however I do run propane and I am very pleased with my set up. When I added LP I gained about 30-40% fuel milage , not to mention the great increase in power! Before I upgraded my turbo and plate my only mods were 370s and propane and I HATED driving with out the LP. With the LP my truck was a screamer ;D.
About the hazards to your motor, I am not sure how Bullydogs etc. setups are, but I know with the setup I run there is no damage to your motor. Reason being my girlfriends dad (designer of the system) has over 500,000 miles on his motor and has had NO problems with it what so ever. His motor (which is in a Cheby body) is out of a 92 and even with the rotory pump that thing hauls! He is by no means easy on his truck either, he constantly hauls 40 foot gooses loaded with hay, tractors, etc.
As for the EGTs I never see em' get over 1300-1400* Pre turbo, and even if they do its for a split second and then they fall off. As you can see I am a firm believer in the LP and have no reasons not to be. I know some peaple have their doubts and that is understandable with the kinds of LP sysems available for the masses, however I am confident that my system is far superior to most you see.
TMO: Scott
Old 10-28-2003, 01:03 AM

thanks a lot for replies and advice. I think I still want a low hp propane system {no hard feelings I hope}and fuel injectors.Is it possible to do after market injectors and stock fuel pump and still get a gain in performance? :- Again thanks a lot.
jim