Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Propane System & chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane System & chips

I am thinking about getting a propane system for my 2001 Dodge for occasional power boosts, but mainly because I have heard that it can really help fuel economy.

First of all, I want to understand how adding propane to a diesel helps it. I really don't want to compromise its longevity.

I also want to know if I would see a significant fuel economy increase at a low setting.

I was also considering a chip/computer for much the same reason. I like the ones that would allow me to turn up the power, as well as provide an "economy" setting. How is the economy achieved though? Does it turn down the boost and adjust the air fuel ratio accordingly, or does it just lean the engine way out, which would not be good (again with the longevity).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Pete
Old 11-12-2006, 12:59 AM

Well, first off, propane just acts as a catalyst which allows your engine to burn more of your fuel with each stroke. Therefore, its more efficient because you arent wasting any fuel. It helps you engine run a tid bit cleaner too. I dont think you would see longevity issues like a gasoline truck.

You would prolly see around 2-3 mpg. It would probably mean saving marginally at the pump because you would be spending the extra money on propane to run with the system, and propane isnt all that cheap anymore (it was around a 1.90 a gallon in texas last i saw.)

A chip gives you better economy because the chip affects the fuel and the timing (dependent upon the chip/box/programmer). It doesnt lean your engine out, in fact it adds more fuel and adjusts the timing accordingly (on some chips) I have heard some people getting over 3 mpg more using the economy setting on the Smarty.

IMHO, I would buy the Smarty, its about half as cheap as the propane system, and you can jack the power up for some crazy fun, or you can tune it for good fuel economy. All of this without the hassle of buying the propane system and the propane. Installation is vastly easier too.

I hope ive been some help. Good luck!!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 AM

but doesn't propane give you more hp's
Old 11-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

yeah it will give you more hp but its old technology. Do you see any HIGH HORSEPOWER guys running propane? not many! most of them have went with nitrous. because its better.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:09 PM

Propane is a fuel ,and any fuel injected into the intake plenum is gonna be combusted prematurely before tdc.Hence detonation.A little wont hurt though.But yeah there are no high hp trucks using propane,well no dodges anyway just fords and chevs with melted pistons....
Old 11-14-2006, 10:12 AM

Propane fumigation is meant as a means to help completely burn the diesel fuel present more completely, this is where the power and mileage come from, a more effecient burning diesel fuel, (from 75% to around a little over 90%). Those that "actually" use propane have ran it for many years and are very pleased with the power and mileage gains.

A proper system that controls the amount of propane delivered will not affect your vehicle's longevity. When people try to run the engine on propane, is where problems can develop. A little is good (and is all that is needed), more does not mean better or more power. It is good for around 80-90 hp, not more. I don't think this poster is looking to be a high horsepower king. He is looking for a little more power and some fuel economy. Something that a moderate chip/computer enhancement and/or propane injection will give him. Most people don't want race trucks, just a reliable daily driver that they can tow or smoke a ricer with.

High HP guys will blow something up sooner or later, I for one am glad many of them dont use propane Throw everything but the kitchen sink on your vehicle in the quest for power and something will let loose. Not a matter of if , but when. Advanced timing and heat are the biggest culprits.

Nitrous can be used for racing or dyno runs, but gets pretty expensive for daily use. It won't increase your mileage and you can't use it for towing.

Here is a good discussion from a while back, where we discussed the commonly repeated misconception that propane can detonate prematurely.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hlight=propane
Old 11-14-2006, 10:32 AM

well heres the deal. i bought a propane tank from a guy for $50 and it is i think 100 gal tank. i would have to cut it down to put in it my bed of my truck. that won't cost me any more money. what is going to cost me $700 is the propane kit to hook it up to my truck. is it worth the money to do this or should i sell the tank. i'm really not looking for gas millage because i have 35" tires on my truck and thats the last thing i am worried about.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:47 AM

It depends on what you want to do with your truck.
Even with 35's you would still see a mileage increase. It's good for around 70-90 hp and they are a lot of fun to drive with.

Is your tank liquid or vapor?? Is it 100 pounds(which would be roughly 40 gallons) or 100 gallons, that would be huge!!?? You'd only have to fill it maybe once a year! That will also make a difference over what type system you would want. Some use vapor tanks , others use liquid tanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:10 AM

well this tank is over 6' tall and i say 2' to 2 1/2' dia. what do you mean fun to drive with
Old 11-14-2006, 11:40 AM
JKM

Originally Posted by adidasman23
well heres the deal. i bought a propane tank from a guy for $50 and it is i think 100 gal tank. i would have to cut it down to put in it my bed of my truck. that won't cost me any more money. what is going to cost me $700 is the propane kit to hook it up to my truck. is it worth the money to do this or should i sell the tank. i'm really not looking for gas millage because i have 35" tires on my truck and thats the last thing i am worried about.
I hope thatmy eyes have failed me here... did you say your planning to CUT a propane tank , to make it smaller, in order to fit in in your truck , i assume your also planning to weld it back together?

ARE YOU NUTS?

disclaimer- no offence intended , and please ignore me if i misunderstood your intentions.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:50 AM

ya i am going to weld it together. you know if you drain the tank and then light match to get all of the fumes out you can cut on it and weld it. i also know some welders that would do it for a case of beer or something like that.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:51 AM

You mean it is a vertical tank then?? It is probably not the best tank to use if it is that tall and you can't lay it on it's side. It feeds a mixture 266 times richer if it is not in it's proper orientation.
And JKM is correct, you would NOT want to cut it. Use the correct tank for the correct use. Don't try to make a bargain tank work. You can pick up a 40 pound vertical tank for about the same money or find a bargain on a horizontal tank.

The throttle response of a variable system makes your truck drive like a gasser. The quickness, makes it very fun to drive.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:59 AM

Thumbs down propane no no no!

My recommendation is to go no futher with propane. You will need a DOT approved tank that are very expensive, ie. 15 gallons or so typically installed on forklifts. Around $400.00 dollars plus. You then need pressure regulator, hobbs switch, plumbing and correct orfices probably another $500.00.
Tank needs to be properly placed in a vented area outside the truck and DOT approved straping. IN the old days, we used to use propane when it was cheap for increased performance while towing up grades etc. Too much propane will blow head gaskets. It's a fuel and ignites at a lower temp. then Diesel fuel, so too much will cause the piston on the compression cycle to detenoate to early and cause the head to lift.

Do not try to "jerry rigg" something you don't know about, and don't ever attempt to cut a tank. These tanks have to be certified and tested, before anyone will fill them.

Heed the warnings of the others on this tread. Get some bigger injectors, or pressure box for more "SAFE" power.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:12 PM

Precisely why you go with a manufactured system that CONTROLS the amount of propane with something consistent such as boost pressure, and not orifices and hobbs switches.

Forklift tanks are typically the only ones NOT DOT approved due to the aluminum construction. RV Vapor tanks or Motor fuel tanks can be mounted under the vehicle, in between the frame rails or in the bed, properly mounted with brackets or bolted to the bed. Propane vehicle tanks are tested to 4 times the normal operating pressures, and these tanks are 20 times more puncture-resistant than gasoline, methanol or ethanol vehicle tanks, so go with a proper tank, even if it is expensive. This is your vehicle we are talking about. Don't save a few pennies here and pay later. An eight gallon tank would last around 1000-1200 miles of constant use, (10 x 32 size)

Too much of anything will blow head gaskets such as pressure boxes stacked, and too much diesel fuel as well.

Actually, how many posts have you read from real people, not someone's uncle's cousins brother, who have had failures from a properly installed and manufactured propane system?? I just did a search.......
Old 11-24-2006, 05:40 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by adidasman23
light match to get all of the fumes out .
What State and county does the tank land in?