Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Programmer/Chip Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programmer/Chip Suggestions

I have the truck in Sig. w/ intake and exhaust.

I have noticed "weird" fuel mileage shifts. I used to get 17+mpg in the city, now I am lucky to get 15mpg max. It fluctuates from 15 down to 12mpg.

I was told from a local mechanic, since I have the intake and exhaust, I needed to "chip" the computer/engine.

Does this sound right?

If so what kind of "chip" do you recommend for a little more power and fuel mileage gains?

Thanks,
Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My father-in-law had a 2001 24V. Several "in the know" guys told him for best fuel economy to get the Edge. He did and it worked well, but then he sold the truck and bought a 12V like mine..........
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I ran a superchip flashpaq for a bit and wasn't impressed. Got a smarty, and am now super happy. Great mpg, more power than I'll ever use!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your local mechanic is ill informed and shouldn't be working on your pickup. An intake and exhaust will not have any negative side effects on MPG. You've got something else going on. When's the last time you changed your fuel filter? What's your fuel pressure like? What have the temp changes been like? How long have you owned the pickup? Figure out what's going on before u add what could amount to more problems.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I changed the fuel filter about 1500 miles ago. Relatively new.

I am in Tampa FL, temp has been pretty warm until the past few days.

I have owned the truck since 2004, and it's an 02. I do not have any gages on the truck....

I did notice some sort of leak up front. I havent figured out where it is coming from.

I thought the leak might be the injector pump, but no codes thrown..
Old 11-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The injector lines could be loose. Look for fuel around them at the head and the pump. You could be getting winter blend fuel but not sure if that even exist in FL. Also ULSD causes poorer mileage. I haven't seen consistant 20 mpg out of either of my trucks since it came out. The 99 used to be good for 21 mpg and the 03 was good for 20 mpg. The IP could be on it way out. I lost mpg when mine started to die and mine died with no codes. Don't see how many miles on the truck but injector could be showing thier age and popping a little early affecting timeing and atomoization.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfreak21
The injector lines could be loose. Look for fuel around them at the head and the pump. You could be getting winter blend fuel but not sure if that even exist in FL. Also ULSD causes poorer mileage. I haven't seen consistant 20 mpg out of either of my trucks since it came out. The 99 used to be good for 21 mpg and the 03 was good for 20 mpg. The IP could be on it way out. I lost mpg when mine started to die and mine died with no codes. Don't see how many miles on the truck but injector could be showing thier age and popping a little early affecting timeing and atomoization.
Thanks for the reply, I looked around the lines and have also looked around the pump. The truck has 139,000 miles on it (not much really).

I have seen some oil like substance on the bottom of the IP, also the IP was replaced around 90k miles.

I am about to be out of town for a month, so maybe I'll drop it off somewhere and have them figure it out...

I appreciate all the help
Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
139k the injector could be fine unless you have gotten some bad fuel but they aren't as sensative at the CR injectors. The pump should be ok unless there is a leak or lose fitting causing a fuel delivery issue to the pump that is causing the pump to do something wierd of fail. Another though is when was the tanny fluid, diff fluid and transfer case fluid changed. If you find anything please share as I would love to have my mileage back but for now just blaming ulsd and high mileage injectors on mine.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfreak21
139k the injector could be fine unless you have gotten some bad fuel but they aren't as sensative at the CR injectors. The pump should be ok unless there is a leak or lose fitting causing a fuel delivery issue to the pump that is causing the pump to do something wierd of fail. Another though is when was the tanny fluid, diff fluid and transfer case fluid changed. If you find anything please share as I would love to have my mileage back but for now just blaming ulsd and high mileage injectors on mine.
Leak solved yesterday. Vacuum pump leak, Cummins seal kit installed, and flushed tranny as well.

I'm not sure if I'll see any increase in fuel mileage now, but atleast I know where the oil was leaking from.

Thanks for all the replies.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Chapter President

I've got a quadzilla adrenaline on my '02. Have been pleased so far. I have a heavy truck, 11k and when towing the trailer it was gutless. With the quad added trailer pulling was no problem, unloaded the truck was pretty quick for its big fat behind. I set my quad on one setting and forget about it and don't get all silly with it, truck makes to much money for me so I don't want to destroy it.

If you get a quad though watch the initial program on those. I swear mine had the beta tune in it, that truck was seriously insane on 8-10 and would smoke like nobody's business! When I changed the tune to the 2000 series the heavy smoke went away, still have awesome power but not as insane as when I first got it. The one I got monitors boost, egt's and engine oil temp(if I had an auto tranny I could monitor that instead of engine oil temp). Can upgrade to read fuel pressure but have to buy extra parts. One thing though, if you got a stock pump on your truck I would not recommend this, it will pour the fuel and your stock pump will have a time trying to keep up. I've got a fuel boss and ended up getting the hyperdrive pulley to keep up with the quad(when I first bought it). After I re-tuned it the fuel pressure was not pulled down as much.

I've got a gallon or two more miles per gallon. Was down to around 13-14mpg's and with the quad have been getting 15-16mpg. Not much but filling up three times a week and every bit counts!