Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

PRIMO OIL REFINER, WHO'S GOT ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PRIMO OIL REFINER, WHO'S GOT ONE?

I was looking into this PRIMO PLUS OIL REFINER and thought it looked pretty good. Does anyone here have one? Ever seen one instaled? If you know something let me know, thanks
Old 10-23-2003, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:PRIMO OIL REFINER, WHO'S GOT ONE?

I sent off for some info reguarding this subject. I got the info the other day and read thru it. They mount the refiner off of the alternator bracket, there is a mount for the newer and older trucks, only difference is the angle. They tap into the oil supply from the 1/8" fitting on the filter mount and return the oil thru a existing fitting under the trans cooler on the passenger side on the engine. What this thing does is heat the oil (uses 12v 30 A circuit), to 190 degrees. Which is suppose to be hot enough to remove moisture and impurities from the oil, then it sends the heated oil thru a filter and then back to the pan. They claim it's like changing your oil with every 3 hours of opperation? I don't know about that, but the unit does look well made, and I guess the therory is sound. Biggest down side I see, is access to the engine oil filter is hampered. I do like the fact that it is mounted in a well protected place, not down under the frame somewhere. This could be an option for some, mainly those that take short trips, and the oil never gets hot.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Re:PRIMO OIL REFINER, WHO'S GOT ONE?

I've seen a similar product to this for heavy trucks called the Puri-Finer. Basically it's a bypass filter (slow but very fine filtration) with a heater coil to boil off the water and any fuel contamination. I recall seeing the temp listed as 230 F. They also had an additive disk (kinda like a urinal cake) in there that was supposed to time release additives to make up for additive depletion. You were supposed to change your oil filter, the bypass filter, and drop in a new urinal cake at the normal service intervals but never change the oil, just add to make up for what you lost in the filter change. Might be a money saver for long haul fleets, but looks like more complexity and a PITA for little benefit for a typical diesel pickup. I remember the smallest unit being like $400, that's 22 oil changes, more if you count bypass filters, makeup oil, and urinal cakes.