Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Premium Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Premium Blue?

I am planning on following the book and running dino prior to synthetic. I was told that Cummins ships our engines with Valvoline Premium Blue (the dino variety not 2000 or Extreme) in the crankcase. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? It seems logical because I remember hearing that Cummins had some involvement with Valvoline on the development of this oil.<br><br>There seems to be a preference among the group for Delo and Rotella, anybody using Premium Blue? Any particular reason why or why not? They sell it at Wally World locally.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:11 AM

Re:Premium Blue?

I use Premium Blue 2000. According to Cummins South, PB2000 is not going to be available by the gallon any more. They are replacing it with PB Extreme which is a full synthetic. I'll be switching to that when I run out of the PB2000 semi synthetic. I like the Premium Blue and plan to stay with it. <br><br>As far as them shipping with PB, I don't think they do and here is why: Premium Blue has that funky oil smell for about the first 400 miles after a change. When my truck came off the lot, it didn't have that smell. My first oil change was on the dealer and it didn't have that smell after the oil change either. The oil sold at the stealerships does not have that additive in the oil that causes that weird smell. So if it is the PB, it is a modified version like they sell at the dealership so that smell is not present in the new trucks.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:55 AM
HC

I'm using synthetics, but the reason I always recommend Delo in Dino oil is because whenever I have seen oil analysis results, the Delo comes in with wear rates that rival the synthetics, and sometimes seems to even beat them. It's hard to judge on wear rates, because there are so many variables, but the limited data I've seen suggests Delo is the front-runner. On Rotella, my gut feel is that it has to be good stuff, I've just never seen anything that made me believe it was equal to or better than Delo. On PB; given the Cummins connection, that would probably be one of my top three choices, but I have seen opinions by a few &quot;experts&quot; who don't think it is as good as Delo or Rotella. Others must have heard the same thing, although that doesn't necessarily make it true. Scientific data that &quot;proves&quot; which is best is hard to come by, so at some point you have to recognize that this is all &quot;hear-say&quot;, do some reading, and then figure out what your opinion is going to be.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:09 PM

HC, You probably make a good point about DELO. I can remember the test, but DELO does shine on the wear. For some reason though my mileage has always been better with PB2000 so I convinced myself that it must be reduced friction.