Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pre oiler ideas on one

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Pre oiler ideas on one

Ok, looking for the peer preasure here. I searched the post and found no talk of pre oilers what the heck do you all not like your trucks or what. well as it's getting a bit cool out I tent to notice it takes a little longer for the oil gauge to get up there the check gauges light staying on allittle, like 2-3 seconds or so as the truck just starts as the oil pressure builds up I have been toying with the idea of ordering a 2 1/2 quart unit from this company http://www.autoenginelube.com/index.html

they look like a simple basic no trills kit. I am not sure where I will tap in to the oil system weather I wan't to do it at the oil pressure senser on the side of the block, I am unsure if thats at the start of the oil run though the motor or the end. or do i tap in to the plug on top of the oil filter that little 1/8 npt brass plug. I would like to stay away from the oil sandwitch addapters because they are no fun. and I am sure that would add loads of fun to changing the oil filter. looking very forward to getting this topic up and going. so lets here it. Cole
Old 10-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Banned

I figure that if dodge doesn't put one on these trucks from the factory and they fully expect these engines to last 250k+ miles in any kinda weather then who am I to mess with it. I also have a feeling that that's why other's don't run them.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:26 PM

what the heck guys over 4 hours and one reply and it wasn't even a reply with peer pressure.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Banned

You gotta remember that it is sunday and people are spending time with their families or doing other things. Give it some time and people will post.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Banned

I agree with Tyler on both posts, Cummins and Dodge don't see the need, and they expect these engines to last. And they do without one.

And give it time, a lot of the members have other lifes. Not sure why...
Old 10-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Don't forget it's not a bran new engine, so it's still wet from the last time you drove it and has oil everywhere even though it sat all night. so them 2-3 seconds without oil pressure on your guage isn't even enough to get excited about J M O
Old 10-02-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've heard more about leaks in prelube systems damaging engines than I've heard about them prolonging a CTD's life.
Maybe in the Arctic it would be worth it but not in lower 48
Old 10-02-2006, 10:55 PM

wellllllll...... i have a pre luber and i love it, honestly i probably don't need it since i live in CA, but i always use it after the truck has been sitting for a long time like night to mornig or after work befoe i go home, i just flip a switch and let it run for 15-20 seconds, it is plumbed so that it sucks oil from the oil drain plug and pushes it through the little fitting on to the oil filter, also it makes oil changes sweet, i have a quick connect on the feed side of the preluber so i disconnect it and drop the hose into a bucket, hit the preluber switch and the oil is pumped out within 20-30 seconds, and then i just put a new filter in and oil and im good to go.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 65fury
wellllllll...... i have a pre luber and i love it, honestly i probably don't need it since i live in CA, but i always use it after the truck has been sitting for a long time like night to mornig or after work befoe i go home, i just flip a switch and let it run for 15-20 seconds, it is plumbed so that it sucks oil from the oil drain plug and pushes it through the little fitting on to the oil filter, also it makes oil changes sweet, i have a quick connect on the feed side of the preluber so i disconnect it and drop the hose into a bucket, hit the preluber switch and the oil is pumped out within 20-30 seconds, and then i just put a new filter in and oil and im good to go.
would love to hear more about what you got,
Old 10-04-2006, 04:10 PM

AMSOIL makes a pre charger for diesels. Go to www.amsoil.com and click on the online store, then click on Oil Filters and Bypass, then in the drop down box, click on either the ByPass Filters or if you just want the Per Lube unit, click on it. I called Amsoil and they told me to use the Donaldson Filter and either the 5W-30 Diesel Oil or the 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Engine Oil, and to change both at every 25,000 miles or a year, whichever comes first. Got one on my truck and mounted the remote where it is easy to change filters, instead of having to reach around in the engine compartment. If you would like to order one, I use my local Amsoil dealers Customer Number, which is: 403978 when I add an item in the basket at the online store. It will be shipped from the closest warehouse and will be delivered to your address by UPS. A really neat kit with good directions, easy to understand. I use Amsoil in everything, front to rear.
Cuz
Old 10-13-2006, 06:12 AM

I made one of these for my last truck. It was a 95 ctd. Worked well. But I'm not going to make another one for this truck. Even though I know exactly what parts I need (took a while to figure it all out the first time). It's just not worth the trouble imo. Mainly because I was constantly worried about having a hose pop off the barb and have oil spewing all over the road. If you want to do it, don't get push-lok hoses. But again, it all adds up $$$. You might as well buy the prelub system for $1000. However, keep in mind that you can get an overhaul or used Cummins engine for ~$4k. So is it really worth the time, hassle, money, and worries? I think in the end it cost me like $400, and that's because I got the pump for under a $100 on ebay. The 3/4" hydraulic tubing is pretty expensive.

The problem I see with the most prelubers is that they tap the oil line in at the oil sending unit port or other places in the engine; for example, on the bolt next to the turbo supply line above the oil filter. I don't like that idea because whenever you run the preluber, it sends pressurized oil backwards through the oil filter; thus, pushing whatever gunk was stored up in it, back to the oil pan. Our oil filters don't have an anti-drainback valve either so. So contaminants will go straight back to the pan. Prelub sells a sandwhich adapter that goes between the block and the oil filter, so you can tab your prelub oil supply line thru there. That's a good idea, but I don't think you have enough space to install it on a 12v because then your oil filter will be too long. Check under your oil filter as it sits on the truck right now. If you got enough space to add an inch or two for the sandwhich adapter, then it makes things a lot easier and cheaper! Then I'd say go ahead and make your own. Wouldn't cost much and wouldn't push junk back thru the oil filter.