Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pre-install advice (370s & springs)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Pre-install advice (370s & springs)

I did measure the retainers from the bottom of the slot to the top of the stud with a dial caliper when I installed my kit. I've been wondering ever since about the distance being different between the two sets of springs. I also counted the clicks when I removed them. As JGK said, the springs seemed pretty loose after install. My idle stayed the same.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great! Its rainin here in Texas today so I think Ill pull the truck in the garage and at least put the gov. springs in and hopefully the AFC springs, depending how smooth everything goes . Thanks again everybody and Ill let everyone know how it turns out.<br> BTW: What kind of EGTs am I gonna be lookin at and what is safe? Ive been told you can melt down a piston at 1200*,is that true?<br> Thanks<br> Wheels
Old 03-03-2003, 03:23 PM

[quote author=dsljunkie link=board=7;threadid=11644;start=15#111189 date=1046714394]
BTW: What kind of EGTs am I gonna be lookin at and what is safe? Ive been told you can melt down a piston at 1200*,is that true?
[/quote]

Actually the &quot;magic number&quot; for melt-down is 1350*(pre-turbo). To be safe, never let your ex temp sit there for more than a few seconds. The 370s will make your temp climb faster in direct proportion to the weight of your throttle foot. ;D

Cruising temps will likely not change much. Big exhaust and big air intake help control peak temps. BTW, you can buy a cheap plastic set of slide calipers at a tool store or machine shop that also sells tools for about $3-4. Use the little rod coming out of the end and the end of the scale for your measurement.

Another reason I went through the top, was that I didn't want to cut the safety wire seal over the plug (pump looks less tampered with). If you drop a part in the pump, just fish it out with your retreiver.

The idle stop bolt has a 10mm rounded up head like an acorn nut. It's on the back corner of the injection pump. Pull the throttle rod forward a bit, it's easier to see. There is a 10mm locknut on the bottom of it that has to be loosened first. Easiest for me to reach under the brake master cylinder and lines to get to it. Have a good small light to help you see it all.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:48 PM

Need HELP!!!<br> Ok I got the gov. springs in without a hitch, or so I thought :'(.Got everything back together and started the truck up and the idle is running at 900-1000. I thought this wouldnt be a problem but I tried to adjust the idle to no avail. The idle will only go up, that is I can not lower the idle. Could this be because I didnt get the springs tight enough? Or maybe this is normal...yeah right :'(. If it is that the springs arent tight enough is it safe to run it for about 60 miles so I can get to class and back tomorrow? Any body want to help me once again [undecided]???<br> Wheels
Old 03-03-2003, 11:02 PM

that means they are too tight. loosen them up a click and see what happens.<br>DM01
Old 03-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Too tight??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I guess I really confused myself there . Well Ill get in that first thing tomorrow. <br> By a click do you mean half a turn... a full turn ...or what? I tried to feel a 'click' when I was loosening the springs but I couldnt literaly feel one so I just counted the number of half turns.... Is this the same thing youre talkin about? <br> Thanks for the tip ! I really almost got my self stuck up that creek again, without my paddle of course &gt;. I was gonna go in and tighten the springs up a little more :-[. When I go to loosen them up should I loosen them both up the same amount?<br> Thanks to all <br> Wheels
Old 03-03-2003, 11:51 PM

Yes, loosen them up the same amount. You want to try to keep them close to the same. It is very common to have to try to set the idle a little lower after the install. Your engine will idle best just a little above where it was before (at about 750-800rpm). If you get it idling too slow, it will be harder to start without pushing on the throttle pedal a little.<br><br>Did you loosen the idle stop screw, and screw it all the way in? Mine ended up just about 1/2 turn from all the way down. <br>If you did, then you'll have to loosen the gov springs. The &quot;clicks&quot; are actually about 1/4 turn, if I remember correctly. You might not hear them as much as feel them. They are when the bumps on the bottom of the retainer nut fall into the low spots in the retainer. The looser you go, the more difficult to feel, that's why counting the turns and measuring are possibly more useful.<br><br>Don't worry, you'll get it dailed in soon. The only problem with running a higher than normal idle would be that it would build more heat in the torque converter. Probably not a big deal just going to and from class.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:09 PM

Im pretty sure I loosened the idle stop screw all the way. There are three 10mm nuts on the back side of the throttle rod (towards the firewall). I loosened the farthest one back which was a lock nut, and the other lock nut about 4 inches in front of it. This allowed me to adjust the idle but I could not make it go slower, only faster. I also tried tightening the front accorn nut (toward the front of the truck) but that actually made the idle speed up...note to self.So I loosened the front accorn nut back to a safe distance and Im still sittin right at 950 rpms .Im gonna go ahead and loosen the springs a click and hope that helps.<br> Other than the idle 'glitch' the springs rip ;D ;D ;D especially in 2&amp;3rd gear . <br> Thanks<br> Wheels
Old 03-04-2003, 04:22 PM

Fixed the idle . It was actually a combonation of things. I went back in and loosened the gov. springs a click and that didnt solve the problem. Sooo... I found the low idle adjustment screw (go figure I was lookin at the wrong screw before) and tightened it down along with adjusting the throttle rod to get my rpms idling at about 850.<br> And now to the 370s ;D ;D ;D. Hopefully I can get these figured out by myself . <br> Thanks <br> Wheels
Old 03-05-2003, 03:59 AM

Wheels,<br><br>Happy to hear it's sorted out now. I might recommend buying a copy of the factory service manual, it gives good illustrations of parts like the idle stop bolt and specifications for the length of the throttle rod, etc., etc. I bought mine on eBay, but they are available from a source in the &quot;links&quot; section, I beleive. Even a Clymer or Haynes that you might pickup at the local parts store would help a little.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:29 AM

Finally FINISHED <br> I put the injectors in yesterday, with minimal trouble, and all I can say is.... WOW ;D ;D . What a difference. If any body out there is thinking about putting injectors or a GSK in, dont think about it any longer, just do it. Theyre awesome,especially the 370s ;D. I got plenty of looks when I rapped out goin through downtown yesterday. most were , and the others were &gt;,the elderly,and the local law inforcement . But all in all Im extremely happy with the modifications and I want to thank everybody for all the help.<br> My only problem Im having now is..... WHAT NEXT? BHAF, 4 inch exhaust, or maybe stacks....<br> Thanks again everybody<br> Wheels<br><br>
Old 03-05-2003, 11:34 AM

[glow=green, 2, 300]STACKS[/glow]<br> ;D <br>DM01
Old 03-05-2003, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8)Stacks and twins!!! 8) 8)
Old 03-05-2003, 01:50 PM

Big air intake and big exhaust, no doubt!<br><br>I wasn't even sure my filter minder was working until I put in my 370s, now I have pulled 16&quot; of vacuum after a WOT run! ;D