Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pre-boost power lull.... what can fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pre-boost power lull.... what can fix it?

So the one thing I want to clear up with my truck for now is the pre-boost lull I get. No matter if i'm just cruising around, or from a roll on and punch it I can fell the lull. It's more noticable if ur cruising with no boost then floor it and I get about 2 seconds of thick smoke then of course power and boost (6psi +) kicks in. Thats expected with spool time and a 14cm exhaust housing, but I also want better response when i'm just cruising with traffic and want that right off throttle pull, and general pre-boost power like if I didn't have a turbo and wanted power from the start. I have everything full forward.

The one thing I haven't upgraded are injectors, and i have a feeling thats the one thing that REALLY affects pre-boost power, right? Because i've tried all sorts of afc settings and didn't really notice anything different except some smoke. So with my setup and a stock hx35 and 14cm exhaust housing, what would be the best injectors to go with for a real step up but not overboard to where i have to be on the egt gauge all day? Thanks
Old 10-13-2007, 03:14 PM

Yea you definetly need more fuel I can tell you this the more fuel you through in the mix the more power Up to a point that is once you run out of air then you run into egt temp issues,ask me how I know....
Old 10-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was the lull worse with the stock DVs?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Too much fuel pre-boost will hurt spoolup and make the truck feel like a pig under 10psi. Try rolling into the throttle and see if it's quicker.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

I'd say the lull was about the same with the stock dv's, the 181's did give more bottom end, but that upgrade wore off quickly, lol. It's hard to say, but I bet with the mods I have its like a stock 215 pump power, or alittle more.

It's fine if I roll into the throttle, thats how I usually drive, but it's the times in traffic where people slow down then speed up. I don't have the time to get into alot of boost, thats where I want more off idle power. So I was thinking DDP stage 2 or 3's, not sure though. Or some new era's, i'm just a injector newbie so I guess i'll hit the search for awhile.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If he's already getting thick smoke, how would more fuel help at all?

I can't see how larger injectors would help a bit. I'd think that AFC tuning and/or plate positioning is what needs to be done.

But I'm a 24V guy that doesn't know much about 12Vs at all.

jh
Old 10-15-2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Box5
I'd say the lull was about the same with the stock dv's, the 181's did give more bottom end, but that upgrade wore off quickly, lol. It's hard to say, but I bet with the mods I have its like a stock 215 pump power, or alittle more.

It's fine if I roll into the throttle, thats how I usually drive, but it's the times in traffic where people slow down then speed up. I don't have the time to get into alot of boost, thats where I want more off idle power. So I was thinking DDP stage 2 or 3's, not sure though. Or some new era's, i'm just a injector newbie so I guess i'll hit the search for awhile.
Just hold the brake and build the boost.